Dino and the new La Familia | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino and the new La Familia

We have needed to upgrade our recruiting since he arrived.

We have lost some good recruiters and they need to be replaced. Rocky’s system has been in place for a couple of years. The players know it well. The remaining defensive staff know it well. It isn’t important to bring in some guys Rocky has worked with in the past to fill out the defensive staff. We have people who know it.

The priority has to be getting good recruiters who have contacts in our prime recruiting areas. We have a chance to upgrade recruiting substantially when Schmidt was replaced and didn’t really do it. Hoping Farmer might be able to leverage his connections in Texas and Oklahoma to get us a couple of players from those areas but it is unlikely. If we are lucky, maybe we can get a OL transfer or two from Tulsa or Texas Tech that liked him and want to play for him. But he is unlikely to make a big impact receruiting.

So Dino has to be strategic with his hires. I think we really need someone who has recruited NJ/NYC extensively for years to fill out of the spots. And someone who has recruited Florida for years to fill another spot.

Rocky is not going to help here. He should be part of the Interview process for the defensive coach(es) we hire but he can’t be the guy making the calls here. The same applies to Jason Beck,

I assume Farmer will pick up the Midwest - Chicago and Michigan and dip into LA and MS a little bit (both place we’ve extended some offers lately but we’ll see.). Have to believe he’s our Midwest recruiter though.

I assume Farmer will pick up the Midwest - Chicago and Michigan and dip into LA and MS a little bit (both place we’ve extended some offers lately but we’ll see.). Have to believe he’s our Midwest recruiter though.
I think Lynch has been doing the Midwest and probably will continue to do it.

I expect Farmer to focus on Texas. Maybe some Louisiana, Oklahoma and places nearby like Arkansas.

Makes more sense to me to give Johnson California. I think he is doing it now and should continue. I believe he has a lot more background there.

But I don’t follow the tweets religiously. Would be interested in @Cuselegscy’s thoughts here…..

I expect Farmer to focus on Texas. Maybe some Louisiana, Oklahoma and places nearby like Arkansas.

Makes more sense to me to give Johnson California. I think he is doing it now and should continue. I believe he has a lot more background there.

But I don’t follow the tweets religiously. Would be interested in @Cuselegscy’s thoughts here…..
Yes. Lynch is definitely the mid-west recruiter, Achuff PA and Johnson California.
I'm not sure about Farmer. He has a kid coming in for Junior Day from PA.

I think at this point, we can all just agree that Dino doesn't view regional recruiting or the idea of pipelines as a priority.
The problem I have with that is his way isn’t working so why not go back too what we used to do.

The problem I have with that is his way isn’t working so why not go back to what we used to do.
Recruiting and the landscape of college football in general has changed so much since the P era. There’s no guarantee focusing on New Jersey, Connecticut, PA, and NYC would yield significantly better results.

I’m ok with the occasional trek to CA, TX, GA, FL when it makes sense, but SU is not a national brand. We need to be pounding PA, NJ, NY, MA, DMV, and out into Chicago on the recruiting trail and then supplementing with clear connections or mutual interest from the hotbeds. The Athletic article on ACC recruiting was another indicator of what everyone knows: SU is a non-factor in many of the HS in the region.

You can make a point for satellite cities that have a direct flight connection to SU, but is it really worth the resources you are spending to recruit kids in TX and on the west coast? What’s worse is when you lose out the first time around, it is less likely that these players will travel across the country.

If we don’t start focusing in on our regional footprint and bring in good recruiters for our footprint then I’m really not sure what the strategy for recruiting is other than spending a lot of money and time away from family.

Crazy to waste resources on those areas.

Recruiting and the landscape of college football in general has changed so much since the P era. There’s no guarantee focusing on New Jersey, Connecticut, PA, and NYC would yield significantly better results.
Sure there is.

I’m ok with the occasional trek to CA, TX, GA, FL when it makes sense, but SU is not a national brand. We need to be pounding PA, NJ, NY, MA, DMV, and out into Chicago on the recruiting trail and then supplementing with clear connections or mutual interest from the hotbeds. The Athletic article on ACC recruiting was another indicator of what everyone knows: SU is a non-factor in many of the HS in the region.

You can make a point for satellite cities that have a direct flight connection to SU, but is it really worth the resources you are spending to recruit kids in TX and on the west coast? What’s worse is when you lose out the first time around, it is less likely that these players will travel across the country.

If we don’t start focusing in on our regional footprint and bring in good recruiters for our footprint then I’m really not sure what the strategy for recruiting is other than spending a lot of money and time away from family.
Seriously. Its a joke.
Eastern seaboard. Our traditional spots, portal and take the odd swing.
We are never going to make it recruiting hs kids from outside our key states.

Crazy to waste resources on those areas.
Pretty sure Johnson is responsible for more than Cali. He probably has some of Florida. Depending on who we hire, he might get all of it. Rocky Long probably has the part Cali south of LA and Arizona and New Mexico.

West (assuming he stays) has Virginia for sure. Maybe the DC metro area and NC too?
Liggy (assuming he is still here) might have western PA. At least the Pittsburgh area.

Who has Georgia these days?

Yeah Cuse did awful with a kid from Lake Oswego, Oregon behind center.
Are you proposing we have a dedicated Pacific NW recruiter now? In all seriousness, Dungey was a late cycle offer after we missed on our primary targets. He was the very definition of a diamond in the rough that was low risk, high reward. The staff and recruiting office reviews film and grades nearly all P5 level prospects in the country that the scouting services push to them. That’s how they found Dungey in the first place.

No one is saying to ignore kids from outside our region. Especially for QBs you travel because there are so few. The way blue bloods and other consistently strong programs sustain their success is through recruiting pipelines in their home regions and having strong relationships with the HS coaches in their area. Pipelines to Bishop McDevitt or St Joe’s provide easy access to 5-10 P5 level recruits per year. SU does not have the same geographical benefit as Rutgers or Pitt, but we have absolutely had pipelines into South Jersey, Scranton, and the DMV during our hey day. The better the relations with the HS coaches in your region the more likely you are to get the first tip that they have a freshman or sophomore that is going to be P5 level or a stud. The staff’s relationship with HS coaches in the region is significant for their ability to gain traction with their players. SU does not have good relationships nor does it have much of a reputation outside of Dino being a nice guy.

As said above, see the recent Athletic article talking to HS coaches in the ACC footprint to see how SU is viewed. Good recruiters in our core areas help change that perception in the locations we are most likely to be successful.

Great post

Are you proposing we have a dedicated Pacific NW recruiter now? In all seriousness, Dungey was a late cycle offer after we missed on our primary targets. He was the very definition of a diamond in the rough that was low risk, high reward. The staff and recruiting office reviews film and grades nearly all P5 level prospects in the country that the scouting services push to them. That’s how they found Dungey in the first place.

No one is saying to ignore kids from outside our region. Especially for QBs you travel because there are so few. The way blue bloods and other consistently strong programs sustain their success is through recruiting pipelines in their home regions and having strong relationships with the HS coaches in their area. Pipelines to Bishop McDevitt or St Joe’s provide easy access to 5-10 P5 level recruits per year. SU does not have the same geographical benefit as Rutgers or Pitt, but we have absolutely had pipelines into South Jersey, Scranton, and the DMV during our hey day. The better the relations with the HS coaches in your region the more likely you are to get the first tip that they have a freshman or sophomore that is going to be P5 level or a stud. The staff’s relationship with HS coaches in the region is significant for their ability to gain traction with their players. SU does not have good relationships nor does it have much of a reputation outside of Dino being a nice guy.

As said above, see the recent Athletic article talking to HS coaches in the ACC footprint to see how SU is viewed. Good recruiters in our core areas help change that perception in the locations we are most likely to be successful.
Exactly

Just thinking about this and just throwing this out there. The key might be going head to head with Pitt on the recruiting trail a bit more often and somehow winning that battle a bit more often.

Just thinking about this and just throwing this out there. The key might be going head to head with Pitt on the recruiting trail a bit more often and somehow winning that battle a bit more often.
Citing the Athletic article again...PITT seems to have a presence out there, at least in comparison to us. Might not be a bad strategy.

But no school is only recruiting HS prospects. If you want JUCOs coaches are going to have to go to places like Texas, Kansas and California because the better JUCOs aren't on the East Coast. In fact because of the Portal the recruitment of HS prospects is down and kids are being encouraged to accept a PWO consider prepping or attending a JUCO. We offered some kids at a JUCO in California. I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of Johnson's travels this week.

But no school is only recruiting HS prospects. If you want JUCOs coaches are going to have to go to places like Texas, Kansas and California because the better JUCOs aren't on the East Coast. In fact because of the Portal the recruitment of HS prospects is down and kids are being encouraged to consider prepping or attending a JUCO. We offered some kids at a JUCO in California. I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of Johnson's travels this week.
The Portal is legitimately changing the strategy around how coaches fulfill team needs every year. I could see Syracuse moving to a point of pulling in 8 to 12 portal players a year. Maybe more. It's going to be interesting to watch.

The Portal is legitimately changing the strategy around how coaches fulfill team needs every year. I could see Syracuse moving to a point of pulling in 8 to 12 portal players a year. Maybe more. It's going to be interesting to watch.
Agree. I see SU going 1/3 HS and 2/3 portal/juco for recruits.

He’s been in California, Montreal and Texas the past week.

He needs to land an impact WR before Groundhog’s Day, IMO.
I think the visit to Houston was partly a checkup on Reed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom