Dino and the new La Familia | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dino and the new La Familia

But no school is only recruiting HS prospects. If you want JUCOs coaches are going to have to go to places like Texas, Kansas and California because the better JUCOs aren't on the East Coast. In fact because of the Portal the recruitment of HS prospects is down and kids are being encouraged to accept a PWO consider prepping or attending a JUCO. We offered some kids at a JUCO in California. I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of Johnson's travels this week.
I don’t disagree. I would argue the introduction of the portal makes it even more important for you to establish strong relationships with HS coaches and programs within your region. Especially the premier programs in the region.

It will be interesting to see if good JUCO programs start to see an influx of borderline P5 players that were passed up coming out of HS.

I doubt Rocky will be traveling around hitting recruits hard but he'll pick some up for us

And Beck was at Virginia for five years I would think that he has developed relationships with HS Coaches up and down the East Coast.

I’m as excited about the future of Syracuse football as I’ve ever been

I think Lynch has been doing the Midwest and probably will continue to do it.

I expect Farmer to focus on Texas. Maybe some Louisiana, Oklahoma and places nearby like Arkansas.

Makes more sense to me to give Johnson California. I think he is doing it now and should continue. I believe he has a lot more background there.

But I don’t follow the tweets religiously. Would be interested in @Cuselegscy’s thoughts here…..

I’m just guessing based on the fact Farmer went to school in Illinois, coached in Illinois and coached in Michigan. I think it’s a huge waste of resources to recruit Texas and Oklahoma though, very little return if any at all.

Enough prospects in the Midwest to send two recruiters though and I think we’ve had two working that region in the past.

Makes sense to recruit LA as he knows the area.

Just thinking about this and just throwing this out there. The key might be going head to head with Pitt on the recruiting trail a bit more often and somehow winning that battle a bit more often.
What does that mean? Offer whoever they offer?

I’m just guessing based on the fact Farmer went to school in Illinois, coached in Illinois and coached in Michigan. I think it’s a huge waste of resources to recruit Texas and Oklahoma though, very little return if any at all.

Enough prospects in the Midwest to send two recruiters though and I think we’ve had two working that region in the past.

Makes sense to recruit LA as he knows the area.
good post. Texas and Oklahoma might as well be Mars. We might pick up a kid or two but thats about it

What does that mean? Offer whoever they offer?
Pitt has prioritized building pipelines to top tier HS the region and targeted specific areas in Florida. We rarely work Buffalo, Erie, Pitt and western Ohio. Increased presence in Buffalo is a good sign, but we have ceded a lot of ground in Western NY, Western PA, and Eastern Ohio in the past decade.

Why check up on a kid who already signed his LOI in December?
Personally, If I had a kid who was suppose to enroll in January but was having some type of clearinghouse issue, either with the NCAA or SU, I would check in on him to make sure he was doing what he needed to do to get enrolled.

Pitt has prioritized building pipelines to top tier HS the region and targeted specific areas in Florida. We rarely work Buffalo, Erie, Pitt and western Ohio. Increased presence in Buffalo is a good sign, but we have ceded a lot of ground in Western NY, Western PA, and Eastern Ohio in the past decade.
We have targeted areas in Florida too and have just hired a coach with Florida ties.
While that sounds good, you can only focus on so many areas. The post I was responding to implied we should follow Pitt around and that I disagree with.

The Portal is legitimately changing the strategy around how coaches fulfill team needs every year. I could see Syracuse moving to a point of pulling in 8 to 12 portal players a year. Maybe more. It's going to be interesting to watch.
I agree with this. It’s a paradigm shift. Coaches who can adjust will have the most success. And schools like Syracuse will have to try to position themselves as Second Chance U.

Like I said weeks ago, at worst net/net with the coordinators.

position coaches come and go.

I don’t know how some people on this board function in the real world. Change is inevitable, people come and go from jobs constantly.

You have to admit, that was a LOT of turnover, seemingly all at once.

I'm surprised we did so well with the replacement hires. A lot of people were saying we can't keep coaches when big programs come calling.

I hope we get one more home run hire for the remaining position.

I would love to see one coach take Secondary as a whole and one coach take LB so Rocky Long doesn't have to coach a position. Only needs to game plan etc.

Makes a ton of sense, but I guess it comes down to the best available people who are also interested in Syracuse.

Recruiting and the landscape of college football in general has changed so much since the P era. There’s no guarantee focusing on New Jersey, Connecticut, PA, and NYC would yield significantly better results.

Yeah, but you can't just ignore these places, either. Parents can drive to home games. That's means a lot to many families.

Yeah, but you can't just ignore these places, either. Parents can drive to home games. That's means a lot to many families.
The 2022 roster had 23 scholarship players from NY, NJ, CT, Mass, or PA. They aren't ignoring those places.

The 2022 roster had 23 scholarship players from NY, NJ, CT, Mass, or PA. They aren't ignoring those places.

That's a great hire then, don't you think?

I wonder what they were in 90’s
Probably a lot more. But a lot of things have changed since the 90s - population shifts, more programs, rising and falling powers, players putting their tape on the internet, recruiting sites, the 7-on-7 circuit, a decline in participation at the youth level, etc. It's a different ecosphere than it was 25 years ago.

We have targeted areas in Florida too and have just hired a coach with Florida ties.
While that sounds good, you can only focus on so many areas. The post I was responding to implied we should follow Pitt around and that I disagree with.
Our presence in Florida is not even comparable to Pitt’s. They have built very solid foundations throughout the state while we have focused on South Florida while Miami was looking elsewhere. Cristobal is really changing the equation for what provided Monroe with some success there. Maybe Fisher can improve that, but we’ll see.

Florida shouldn’t be a priority though and you’re missing the point of what the poster was saying about Pitt’s strategy. They have focused on building strong relationship with top tier HS coaches in the region and locked down their backyard. This includes some of the top talent coming out of Pitt. Name a single program in this region that SU is consistently pulling talent from it at least being considered.

The transfer portal changes things for sure and HS recruiting is a smaller slice of the pie BUT…that smaller slice needs to be quality and not fringe P5 because that’s the nucleus of your team. To get quality players you have to have a good relationship with the coaches and support networks in the areas you are targeting. A better relationship than your competitors, especially if you’re not winning every year. Pitt is in a much better position on the HS side to sustain success because of the relationships and areas they have prioritized. A guy like Campanile might just be a program changing hire in this regard.

Our presence in Florida is not even comparable to Pitt’s. They have built very solid foundations throughout the state while we have focused on South Florida while Miami was looking elsewhere. Cristobal is really changing the equation for what provided Monroe with some success there. Maybe Fisher can improve that, but we’ll see.

Florida shouldn’t be a priority though and you’re missing the point of what the poster was saying about Pitt’s strategy. They have focused on building strong relationship with top tier HS coaches in the region and locked down their backyard. This includes some of the top talent coming out of Pitt. Name a single program in this region that SU is consistently pulling talent from it at least being considered.

The transfer portal changes things for sure and HS recruiting is a smaller slice of the pie BUT…that smaller slice needs to be quality and not fringe P5 because that’s the nucleus of your team. To get quality players you have to have a good relationship with the coaches and support networks in the areas you are targeting. A better relationship than your competitors, especially if you’re not winning every year. Pitt is in a much better position on the HS side to sustain success because of the relationships and areas they have prioritized. A guy like Campanile might just be a program changing hire in this regard.
No, that’s not the point of what he was saying, you are putting your own spin on how you would improve our recruiting and that’s fine, but it is not the same as following Pitt around and offering who they offer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom