Dino Babers is.. | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers is..

Opinions are like xxxxx, everyone has one. So here’s mine.

The game wasn’t lost by the decision to go for two. If we convert that play people here would be calling Dino a genius.

The game wasn’t lost when we declined the penalty that would have forced a 51 yard field goal. We should be able to stop a 3rd and 22 (or whatever it was), but we didn’t.

In my opinion the missed field goal midway through the fourth quarter was the play that cost us the points that ultimately made the biggest difference in the outcome of this game. I haven’t read much about this on the board.

Our defense lives by the sword, the blitz, and will die by the sword. Unfortunately we got burned a few times too many last night. As I write this I remember we played without the three safeties who started the season at Ohio; Labrosse (left the team), Carter (injured?) and Hanna (injured?).

Kudos to the freshmen offensive linemen who stepped up yesterday and battled in the ACC. Sure there’s room for improvement, but only a bitter blind man can’t see the positives here.

This team is much better than last year and next year could be even better. This team fights, battles and never gives up.

Those out there who want to see Babers fired, be careful what you ask for. IMO, that move would take us two steps backwards. Babers is responsible for these players. He’s responsible for Coach White, Coach Monroe and Coach White. If you let Babers go, you’ll be ignoring the improvements and choosing to start all over.

I hate losing. It’s frustrating to see this team so close to winning games that the “experts” had us as underdogs in. The experts can’t measure the heart of these players.

Reading many of the posts on this board could lead you to believe this season is over, but this season isn’t over.

Get on board or get out of the way.

I wouldn’t have gone for 2 early in the 4th either. Until you have to go for 2 don’t go for it.
Remember the Pinstripe Bowl against Kansas State we went for 2 early and that allowed K-State to only be down 8 rather than 9.

Up 1 you should only go for 2 really when their is only going to be a couple of possessions left.
I hate going for 2 up 1 early as I stated I want the ability to go up 2 possessions.
Phil Simms said 4th Q was go for 2 territory, but he emphasized more of a last 10-12 minute strategy. Not even entire 4th Q. Meant for very close to end of game. Where your potential offensive possessions have narrowed to likely very low numbers. So 4 minutes left in 3rd Q? .don't go for it!! Kick XP.

If you chase points in first 50 minutes of game by going for 2 points...you will likely regret it. I don't have the stats. But they are alarming for HC's who chase points early because of these stupid 3×5 index cards telling you to go if down 5...down 12, etc...

Yesterday...Exhibit A...kick the XP? One point win and no OT

And his own mistakes cost us the chance to beat that very good football team. He’s making mistakes that you’d expect to see from a first year HC. This is year 6 of him as our HC and year 10 as a him being a HC in general. these mistakes and blunders should not be happening.
Hes not smart on game day

Opinions are like xxxxx, everyone has one. So here’s mine.

The game wasn’t lost by the decision to go for two. If we convert that play people here would be calling Dino a genius.

The game wasn’t lost when we declined the penalty that would have forced a 51 yard field goal. We should be able to stop a 3rd and 22 (or whatever it was), but we didn’t.

In my opinion the missed field goal midway through the fourth quarter was the play that cost us the points that ultimately made the biggest difference in the outcome of this game. I haven’t read much about this on the board.

Our defense lives by the sword, the blitz, and will die by the sword. Unfortunately we got burned a few times too many last night. As I write this I remember we played without the three safeties who started the season at Ohio; Labrosse (left the team), Carter (injured?) and Hanna (injured?).

Kudos to the freshmen offensive linemen who stepped up yesterday and battled in the ACC. Sure there’s room for improvement, but only a bitter blind man can’t see the positives here.

This team is much better than last year and next year could be even better. This team fights, battles and never gives up.

Those out there who want to see Babers fired, be careful what you ask for. IMO, that move would take us two steps backwards. Babers is responsible for these players. He’s responsible for Coach White, Coach Monroe and Coach White. If you let Babers go, you’ll be ignoring the improvements and choosing to start all over.

I hate losing. It’s frustrating to see this team so close to winning games that the “experts” had us as underdogs in. The experts can’t measure the heart of these players.

Reading many of the posts on this board could lead you to believe this season is over, but this season isn’t over.

Get on board or get out of the way.
Good post. Here is what i have been told since the spring.
Dino will be retained unless there is a train wreck ( players quiting on the season ect. )

At this point in the season i actually believe he will be retained with 1 more win possibly no more wins if the team remains competitive and or injuries derail the season.

So hes our coach next year.
My point which for some reason doesn’t seem to be allowed is that Syracuse University is in a no win position with Dino.
If he starts winning he will most likely leave. The only positive is if in fact he shows some degree of loyalty and sticks with the program if he achieve success which i highly doubt.

An alternative would be to elevate coach white who because of his NY roots might make a great choice.

Time will tell but baring a complete crash it looks like Dino is going to be retained which might just work out.

Hes a great Character/CEO leader. Hopefully he leaves in game decisions to his coordinators.
Go Cuse.

I’m curious. How do we know the infamous penalty they declined was Dino’s call? I did not go to the game, but on TV it showed Dino running to to Tony White and mouth (to the affect of) “what do you want to do”. They conversed, and you can clearly see Dino say “Do it? Yeah? OKAY!”

Seeing that interaction made me think it was White/Dino’s call together.

Dino will be retained unless there is a train wreck ( players quiting on the season ect. )

At this point in the season i actually believe he will be retained with 1 more win possibly no more wins if the team remains competitive and or injuries derail the season.

My point which for some reason doesn’t seem to be allowed is that Syracuse University is in a no win position with Dino.
If he starts winning he will most likely leave. The only positive is if in fact he shows some degree of loyalty and sticks with the program if he achieve success which i highly doubt.

An alternative would be to elevate coach white who because of his NY roots might make a great choice.

Time will tell but baring a complete crash it looks like Dino is going to be retained which might just work out.

Hes a great Character/CEO leader. Hopefully he leaves in game decisions to his coordinators.
Go Cuse.
Yeah, that no win situation you cite is not very comforting. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. So I guess doing nothing makes a lot of sense.
OK… :oops:
(Not a dig at you; I agree with your points. Just frustrating as hell.)

We can negotiate how to pay it out.

The school should have the funds to do that.
If results don’t matter fans shouldn’t give them their money.

You don’t like being in every game and would prefer to be blown out?

We should be a better team next year with everyone returning. There’s no reason to make a change this year. SU is one of the toughest P5 jobs.

Just like a lot of baseball team’s in game moves are coming from above the manager, we should be the first football team to do so. Get some smart numbers analytic guys and let them make the calls. A lot of these football coaches just aren’t good at it.

If we kick the extra point instead of going for two and failing, we win by 1.

The decision to take the penalty, followed by rushing 3 made absolutely zero sense to me. If you’re trying to push them out of FG range, you don’t rush 3. What was the point?
That’s White not Dino

SU will have two to three losses a season due directly to Dino's coaching ability. It has been that way since he was hired. We all know that he has major flaws as a head coach, but would be a pretty good assistant coach. He looks totally lost on the sideline compared to how Clawson looked. Same season, different year.
Look, I agree that Dino makes bad in game decisions. He has flaws. But that’s only part of coaching. He assembled a team that can compete in the ACC. He pulled the trigger on bringing in better coordinators and position coaches. If you honestly think this season looks the same as the past two years, then I don’t think your opinion holds any weight. The last two years sucked and I was fed up too but at this point it would be ridiculous to blow up something that looks like it could be successful. Need to give him next year with a returning shrader and Tucker.

Our group is sending something similar. Dino isn't the long term answer. The team has lost because of him. Good coaches coach thier teams up, put them in position to win.
Dinos incompetence has lost multiple games. Its 6 years and his in game coaching skills are regressing. I think hes shot mentally.

If he loses the next 2 games players and coaches will begin to look at other opportunities.
SU will most likely keep Dino as they wont pay him so the end result could get very ugly with defections.

If Dino craps out and is still retained i expect 2 coaches and multiple players on the 2 deep to leave.

Mark it down just like my Shrader news.
The players we need to retain are shrader and Tucker. We can build around that. The linemen aren’t going anywhere.

losing white and/or Monroe would hurt. But it’s ADJW job to anticipate and get ahead of this stuff.

Look, I agree that Dino makes bad in game decisions. He has flaws. But that’s only part of coaching. He assembled a team that can compete in the ACC. He pulled the trigger on bringing in better coordinators and position coaches. If you honestly think this season looks the same as the past two years, then I don’t think your opinion holds any weight. The last two years sucked and I was fed up too but at this point it would be ridiculous to blow up something that looks like it could be successful. Need to give him next year with a returning shrader and Tucker.
My point was Dino's bad coaching decisions are the same year after year. Never mentioned the player at all. Understand what you are reading before commenting.

Yeah, that no win situation you cite is not very comforting. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. So I guess doing nothing makes a lot of sense.
OK… :oops:
(Not a dig at you; I agree with your points. Just frustrating as hell.)
JW made a good call. Nobody expected Dino to tank. The thought was that the huge 2 way buyout would protect SU and if he bolted SU would atleast get paid. Nobody ever thought he would have such a terrible run.
It is what it is. Game Set Match. Dino.

Go Cuse.

What I hear is the players are still "all in". They are frustrated with the recent results, but are ready to put their work in and get ready for Clemson on a short week.

I'm not sure about the "no-win" position your present. 1) Babers is building a program here. It hasn't happened overnight and may never be big enough to satisfy some of the posters here. But the program is trending in the right direction. 2) Babers is 60 years old and has been coaching for 37 years. Even if things start to click and we are in bowls games in 2022, 2023 and 2024, is he going to want to leave then, after nine years in CNY? Maybe. And if he does, by then a few of his current assistants will be more than ready to take over. I'm not convinced they're ready now. A while back I remember a post that said they didn't think Babers would stay at Syracuse long term because he hadn't put down roots in Syracuse". What kind of roots does a football coach need to put down to convince someone he's looking to leave town?

Regarding Coach White, why do people say he has NY roots? His father was career military and moved around a lot. He was born in Florida and he spent some of his youth in NYC. But he went to high school in Texas and college in California. This is Coach White's first time living east of the Mississippi in probably 30 years.

Keeping Coach White and Coach Schmidt will be a couple of Coach Babers' biggest challenges after the season.

Having a Head coach who is "a great character/CEO leader" is invaluable. And something the Syracuse athletic department may want to keep around.

Go Orange.

For the most part - I did not believe WF was more talented. But I get where you’re coming from. I thought our guys outside of some inexperienced frosh and our DL VS their OL were better.
more talented, meaning mostly have slightly more depth then us

The players we need to retain are shrader and Tucker. We can build around that. The linemen aren’t going anywhere.

losing white and/or Monroe would hurt. But it’s ADJW job to anticipate and get ahead of this stuff.

DL McKinley Williams redshirt senior
DL Kingsley Jonathan senior
DL Cody Roscoe senior
DL Josh Black redshirt senior

We are going to be in big trouble on the defensive line next year

What I hear is the players are still "all in". They are frustrated with the recent results, but are ready to put their work in and get ready for Clemson on a short week.

I'm not sure about the "no-win" position your present. 1) Babers is building a program here. It hasn't happened overnight and may never be big enough to satisfy some of the posters here. But the program is trending in the right direction. 2) Babers is 60 years old and has been coaching for 37 years. Even if things start to click and we are in bowls games in 2022, 2023 and 2024, is he going to want to leave then, after nine years in CNY? Maybe. And if he does, by then a few of his current assistants will be more than ready to take over. I'm not convinced they're ready now. A while back I remember a post that said they didn't think Babers would stay at Syracuse long term because he hadn't put down roots in Syracuse". What kind of roots does a football coach need to put down to convince someone he's looking to leave town?

Regarding Coach White, why do people say he has NY roots? His father was career military and moved around a lot. He was born in Florida and he spent some of his youth in NYC. But he went to high school in Texas and college in California. This is Coach White's first time living east of the Mississippi in probably 30 years.

Keeping Coach White and Coach Schmidt will be a couple of Coach Babers' biggest challenges after the season.

Having a Head coach who is "a great character/CEO leader" is invaluable. And something the Syracuse athletic department may want to keep around.

Go Orange.
Agreed on retaining both of those coaches plus one other.

Agreed on retaining both of those coaches plus one other.

one X factor could be White’s mom in NYC. I know it was important to him for his kids to be closer to their grandmother. On top of that, give him the Associate Head Coach title (more $$) along with D-Coordinator and give Schmitt Running Game coordinator along with O-Line (more $$).

My point was Dino's bad coaching decisions are the same year after year. Never mentioned the player at all. Understand what you are reading before commenting.
I know that's your point. I was pointing out how your argument is flawed. There are too many moving parts and the process way too nuanced to say Dino costs us 2-3 games a year. So how many of the wins is he directly responsible for? You're saying his coaching decision to bring in Shrader hasn't made this year different? His coaching decision to bring in Coach Schmidt hasn't made a difference? To bench Devito? To gear the offense toward the run game? Coaching decisions extend beyond game management.

I think his coaching decisions and the way he has the team trending warrants another year. If we're not winning games next year then give him the boot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom