Dino Babers is.. | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers is..

You have a dead ball with 40+ seconds on the clock at the end of the first half with two timeouts. You proceed to take a timeout with the clock stopped before you even run a play.

and that’s just the normal stuff we expect to see most games.

In that case, every game is winnable by any team. Not really saying too much there. The question is what is the likelihood SU wins all those games. Not super high if these players don’t get better coaching to help them.
See UCONN

I really wish we sucked. Because it wouldn't sting as much. In years past when we had crappy records we didn't have the talent to win. The most frustrating part about this season is we have the talent win every game we've played so far. And we're 3-3 instead of 6-0 because of poor time management and bad game plans, Schrader even said as much after last week's game. This team really deserves to be 6-0, and I feel for them.

A competent coach formulated a game plan that gave us a chance to beat a very good football team.
Come on. We haven’t held any coach to that standard here ever. See my post re Coach P

So can he be the big picture game plan guy, and we get an associate head coach or something that focuses on the in game decisions?
We have a guy who has put together a good staff and has brought in a solid group of young talent.

The decision to to take the penalty didn’t lose the game and the decision to kick a FG that our kicker normally makes didn’t lose the game.

We didn’t make enough plays on the field to win the game - especially on defense.

I am optimistic about this team - I like the direction in which we are headed.

We have a guy who has put together a good staff and has brought in a solid group of young talent.

The decision to to take the penalty didn’t lose the game and the decision to kick a FG that our kicker normally makes didn’t lose the game.

We didn’t make enough plays on the field to win the game - especially on defense.

I am optimistic about this team - I like the direction in which we are headed.
If we kick the extra point instead of going for two and failing, we win by 1.

The decision to take the penalty, followed by rushing 3 made absolutely zero sense to me. If you’re trying to push them out of FG range, you don’t rush 3. What was the point?

You didn’t watch the whole game…. but you know coaching didn’t impact the game. Lol. Ok.
Okay I am here to admit that I missed that 4th and to call we're Andre missed the field goal. That was BS unbelievably stupid! I admit I miss that part because like I said I didn't watch the whole game.
I don't understand it at all I mean we had like 300 yards rushing and you kick a field goal when if we don't make it anyway we're in the same spot that we were when he missed a field goal.
I'll say it again sometimes I feel like he wants to be fired and take his money, chill and wait for whatever other gig he's got. that pisses me off.

Okay I am here to admit that I missed that 4th and to call we're Andre missed the field goal. That was BS unbelievably stupid! I admit I miss that part because like I said I didn't watch the whole game.
I don't understand it at all I mean we had like 300 yards rushing and you kick a field goal when if we don't make it anyway we're in the same spot that we were when he missed a field goal.
I'll say it again sometimes I feel like he wants to be fired and take his money, chill and wait for whatever other gig he's got. that pisses me off.

Does seem like that the more and more I watch this season and last. Completely unprepared. The decision to take the penalty after stopping them on 3rd down to let them go down the field and score a TD, is mind boggling.

Our group is sending something similar. Dino isn't the long term answer. The team has lost because of him. Good coaches coach thier teams up, put them in position to win.
Dinos incompetence has lost multiple games. Its 6 years and his in game coaching skills are regressing. I think hes shot mentally.

If he loses the next 2 games players and coaches will begin to look at other opportunities.
SU will most likely keep Dino as they wont pay him so the end result could get very ugly with defections.

If Dino craps out and is still retained i expect 2 coaches and multiple players on the 2 deep to leave.

Mark it down just like my Shrader news.
What happens if Tucker hits the portal? If he doesn't like what's going on, we're toast. Howard, Taj, a QB gone(likely) At this point? Whatever keeps Tucker.

If we kick the extra point instead of going for two and failing, we win by 1.

The decision to take the penalty, followed by rushing 3 made absolutely zero sense to me. If you’re trying to push them out of FG range, you don’t rush 3. What was the point?

We had the lead twice in the second half and we couldn’t hold WF.

I think it is
We had a fullback playing guard last year
He’s made some very hard choices the last couple of years and honestly that 10 win season at a school like ours buys you some time
Clearly I want the best for SU and I want to see how the season plays out but I think Dino earns 2022
Dino probably coachs 2022, but not because he deserves it. His on field coaching is terrible. His contract will give him another year, but his coaching metrics say find a new coach.

A competent coach formulated a game plan that gave us a chance to beat a very good football team.
And his own mistakes cost us the chance to beat that very good football team. He’s making mistakes that you’d expect to see from a first year HC. This is year 6 of him as our HC and year 10 as a him being a HC in general. these mistakes and blunders should not be happening.

Last edited:
He's bringing home 3 million a year and not living up to expectations.

Don't feel too bad.
Can someone clear up Dinos contract? I thought that in 2018 he signed for 5 years? While frustrated, I'm not in the fire Dino camp. (We could be 6-0)

I dont think any of that matters. To 43ll with the fire Dino talk. KEEP TUCKER.

We need a comprehensive NIL campaign for Tucker and 44(EARNED).
We lose him? We are SCREWED. Wildhack can facilitate 44, the boosters can help assure Tucker STAYS, with a plan. Have him slinging everything from hot dogs to shredding services.. They can complain about coaching, but our game plan is Tucker. Same with the "next" make believe coach. I want my Tucker 44 jersey.

Tucker is the priority.

Ohh. And give Mike Schmidt a BIG a$$ raise. Our previously "crappy" oline is suddenly destroying people, when they struggled for years . Even the 2s. go figure. Its like they have a coach.

At ALL cost. We need to keep Tucker. I dont care who the coach is. Promote Schmidt and Lynch to co-OC. Y'all may have forgotten that Lewis was gone in 18, and that was Lynch. Its Schmidt and Lynch, right now on offense, as far as I'm concerned. Promote White to assistant head coach.

The priority here is not the coach. Its Sean Tucker. (With a hat tip to Garret's legs)

Keeping him is our most important asset.

Last edited:
We had the lead twice in the second half and we couldn’t hold WF.
The idea you don’t realize how bad our coach was managing this game with his in-game decisions is unbelievable. You are smart poster.
Dino cost his team this game with his poor decisions that were easily second guessable and this guy coaches scared and doesn’t give any confidence he will improve in-game.
The decision to accept a penalty was stupid. It cost the team 4 points.
The decision to chase points in the THIRD quarter was stupid you never do that.
10 year kids playing Madden wouldn’t make these mistakes and we are taking about a 6th year HC.

The fact our running game was on fire and this guy wouldn’t go for 4th and 1 rather than give a kicker that is fanbase is really scared about making any kick anymore is just frustrating.
Dino Babers LOST this football for his players.

If he doesn’t get 6 wins and John Wildhack retains him because of finances then I am done giving money to Syracuse as long as John Wildhack is the AD. Not just as long he would retain a poor coach but Wildhack the rock star would be telling me results don’t matter. He would be telling me the university doesn’t give a chit about being results oriented but the university just wants to cash checks.

A. BC replaced Addazio who was getting bowls every year and are better for it. B. No money to pay out Dino? The only reason SU is in a P5 and getting that money is because of the football tradition. C. Dino brought in good co-ordinators who can coach at the ACC level and who are bringing in real P5 talent.

We have lost two straight games two teams that are just more talented and better than us and we were right there. Wake Forest specifically is much better coached, Dave Clawson is a good coach.
For the most part - I did not believe WF was more talented. But I get where you’re coming from. I thought our guys outside of some inexperienced frosh and our DL VS their OL were better.

For the most part - I did not believe WF was more talented. But I get where you’re coming from. I thought our guys outside of some inexperienced frosh and our DL VS their OL were better.
WF was a better balanced team including offense, defense, depth, special teams, and coaching. The Orange failures on the last 2 factors make this loss so hard to live with.

WF was a better balanced team including offense, defense, depth, special teams, and coaching. The Orange failures on the last 2 factors make this loss so hard to live with.
You don’t run for 360 being outmatched. ST’s sure, mainly Punter. Pena was great in the PR role last night. Defense, they gave up 5 bills, nothing special there.

Coaching, whelp, hard to make arguments on our behalf right now other than I believe our game plan coming in was really strong. Adjustments appear to be continually lacking and some in game decisions we’re just really poor.

Last edited:
People are also forgetting we kick the xp we win the game with the tucker last second touchdown

This isn't a shot at you but that's in no way accurate. If SU kicks the xp there the game will undoubtedly play out differently then it did. Would SU have won, maybe but there's no way of knowing exactly what would have happened

Babers is good at motivating his players and getting them to play hard.
He's a disaster at game management. Consistently disorganized on the sideline. Frequent confusion timeouts because they don't know what play to run or which personnel are in/out. Never changes.
Ridiculous decision to go for 2 pt conversion in 3rd Q when leading. You can't play the immediate situation that early because the scoring will change. If he just kicked the extra point in Q3, the TD with 23 seconds left wins the game. Confusion if he should go for 2 at end resulting in delay of game is inexcusable. So many coaching blunders. That cost this game.
This is my biggest issue. Coaches make bad decisions all the time at the college and NFL level. Seems like Dino makes more than most, but it is what it is.

What is really concerning is how unorganized and chaotic the decision making process seems to be.

On the decision to take the penalty, TV cut to the sideline and there was a full fledged argument with Dino and the coaches going on. Looked like a brawl might break out. Not surprisingly, after the decision was made (a horrible decision), it was compounded by not being on the same page in terms of what defense to call on 3rd and 23. Probably because they were still arguing about the penalty.

On the penalty on the 2 point conversion, any coach at any level would have made the decision at the start of the drive whether they will go for 2 or kick if they score. Dino seemed genuinely surprised that he had to make this decision after Tucker scored. And we got the penalty.

I don’t know who the short guy with the long beard is who is always near Dino but to me he seems like Rasputin. Often, He seems to walk in front of Dino, make a comment and Dino then makes a bad decision.

In year 6 here, and year 10-11 as a college head coach, it is truly problematic how reactive Dino is rather than being proactive/prepared for different outcomes, and how chaotic communication seems to be with his coaches. To me that screams of someone who is in over his head.

I think unless we go winless the rest of the year, Dino comes back and next year its do or die with Shrader, Tucker, and a great back 7 on D hopefully hopefully leading us to a bowl. But I fear Dino will always get in the way with his decisions, but more importantly his decision making process during games.

The decision to go for two after Tucker’s run was good IMO. The defense was having trouble after the 1st quarter and getting points to stay ahead of a strong offense is always the right move

The problem was Dino went against that decision making and made a worse decision with the FG try in the 4th. He basically said I have confidence in my defense which didn’t make any sense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom