Dino Babers is.. | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers is..

Regarding Coach White, why do people say he has NY roots? His father was career military and moved around a lot. He was born in Florida and he spent some of his youth in NYC. But he went to high school in Texas and college in California. This is Coach White's first time living east of the Mississippi in probably 30 years.
Coach White left what is now the #18 team in the country to move to CNY to be closer to his family in Queens. Do you not include family as roots?

He probably isn’t going anywhere unless if he maybe gets an offer from Rutgers, BC or maybe Temple

DL McKinley Williams redshirt senior
DL Kingsley Jonathan senior
DL Cody Roscoe senior
DL Josh Black redshirt senior

We are going to be in big trouble on the defensive line next year
I meant losing guys to the portal. But yeah they’ll need to hit that portal for a stud DL and WR or there will be issues.

Did anyone else see Dino when deciding what to do on the 3rd & 23, he was a deer in headlights with no idea what to do. Monroe was yelling something to him then he talks to the headset then DCTW then finally gets all emotional and yells take the penalty. I don't really agree with the moment being too bright but he had no idea what he was doing in that situation and it ended up costing us another W.

Did anyone else see Dino when deciding what to do on the 3rd & 23, he was a deer in headlights with no idea what to do. Monroe was yelling something to him then he talks to the headset then DCTW then finally gets all emotional and yells take the penalty. I don't really agree with the moment being too bright but he had no idea what he was doing in that situation and it ended up costing us another W.
He freezes. Hes not good under pressure.

He freezes. Hes not good under pressure.
Here's a secret: everybody does. There are very few exceptions, mostly those who have been through problems before. Dabo Swinney and Nick Saban have made bad decisions. And these are the exceptions. There are not many exceptions out there.

No matter who SU could bring in, there will be an adjustment period, a learning curve, and a bit of luck thrown away in. HC in CFB is not a plug-and-play job. Most jobs aren't, but the more senior the position, the harder it is to find experience.

Does Babers need to improve, YES! But the only way to get to improve is via experience. I am not saying Babers is the only answer, I am saying SU will consider many more factors than a fan site. Ex: this team is probably the deepest team Babers has had, like it or not, this is a good thing. Babers replaced bad coordinators. White is a clear improvement. Gilbert has opened up the game for Shrader, so an improvement. Wins count, but sometimes you have to build the foundation to win, see Coach Mac.

Maybe Wildhack has a replacement or n mind and we cannot get him yet. Who knows? But running Babers out of town is probably not the right answer right now.

I know that's your point. I was pointing out how your argument is flawed. There are too many moving parts and the process way too nuanced to say Dino costs us 2-3 games a year. So how many of the wins is he directly responsible for? You're saying his coaching decision to bring in Shrader hasn't made this year different? His coaching decision to bring in Coach Schmidt hasn't made a difference? To bench Devito? To gear the offense toward the run game? Coaching decisions extend beyond game management.

I think his coaching decisions and the way he has the team trending warrants another year. If we're not winning games next year then give him the boot.
Why did it take Dino 3 games to realize that GS was better then TD? Why did it take 3+ seasons to realize that Cavanaugh was not producing the required results of an OL coach? How about getting Schmidt ONLY because his first hire bolted before the season even started? You can't give credit to a coach in year 6 with an overall record of 27-39 and conclude that he has good decision making skills. There are a few games where his decisions have been positive however, the chaos that occurs on the sideline in critical situations is so obvious. It's not just me making these statements, it's partially the entire board now. The only reason Dino gets another year is solely based on finances at this point.

Opinions are like xxxxx, everyone has one. So here’s mine.

The game wasn’t lost by the decision to go for two. If we convert that play people here would be calling Dino a genius.

The game wasn’t lost when we declined the penalty that would have forced a 51 yard field goal. We should be able to stop a 3rd and 22 (or whatever it was), but we didn’t.

In my opinion the missed field goal midway through the fourth quarter was the play that cost us the points that ultimately made the biggest difference in the outcome of this game. I haven’t read much about this on the board.

Our defense lives by the sword, the blitz, and will die by the sword. Unfortunately we got burned a few times too many last night. As I write this I remember we played without the three safeties who started the season at Ohio; Labrosse (left the team), Carter (injured?) and Hanna (injured?).

Kudos to the freshmen offensive linemen who stepped up yesterday and battled in the ACC. Sure there’s room for improvement, but only a bitter blind man can’t see the positives here.

This team is much better than last year and next year could be even better. This team fights, battles and never gives up.

Those out there who want to see Babers fired, be careful what you ask for. IMO, that move would take us two steps backwards. Babers is responsible for these players. He’s responsible for Coach White, Coach Monroe and Coach White. If you let Babers go, you’ll be ignoring the improvements and choosing to start all over.

I hate losing. It’s frustrating to see this team so close to winning games that the “experts” had us as underdogs in. The experts can’t measure the heart of these players.

Reading many of the posts on this board could lead you to believe this season is over, but this season isn’t over.

Get on board or get out of the way.

Here's a secret: everybody does. There are very few exceptions, mostly those who have been through problems before. Dabo Swinney and Nick Saban have made bad decisions. And these are the exceptions. There are not many exceptions out there.

No matter who SU could bring in, there will be an adjustment period, a learning curve, and a bit of luck thrown away in. HC in CFB is not a plug-and-play job. Most jobs aren't, but the more senior the position, the harder it is to find experience.

Does Babers need to improve, YES! But the only way to get to improve is via experience. I am not saying Babers is the only answer, I am saying SU will consider many more factors than a fan site. Ex: this team is probably the deepest team Babers has had, like it or not, this is a good thing. Babers replaced bad coordinators. White is a clear improvement. Gilbert has opened up the game for Shrader, so an improvement. Wins count, but sometimes you have to build the foundation to win, see Coach Mac.

Maybe Wildhack has a replacement or n mind and we cannot get him yet. Who knows? But running Babers out of town is probably not the right answer right now.
kind of ridiculous to say dino will improve with experience---when he has been a head coach, assistant head coach and offensive coordinator for two d1 teams. he does not have what it takes . w/o dungey he failed and hope we don't loose shrader or it will be the same. babers has cost us to much already. by the way ,cut his salary if we can, and get a st coach.

Everyone has lost players. Teams have lost their starting QB for year for goodness sakes. This is not going to be the injury excuse year following the covid excuse year, is it?

Once again, every FBS team dealt with covid in 2020. Every single one. Most did not finish 1-10.

No free pass. Injuries happen. Part of football, unfortunately. Rough sport.

Every P5 team didn't play in New York State. Only one did. Not sure why people make this such a flat statement. We were a mess last season for a lot of reasons, it happens but offing a guy because of it is illogical.

kind of ridiculous to say dino will improve with experience---when he has been a head coach, assistant head coach and offensive coordinator for two d1 teams. he does not have what it takes . w/o dungey he failed and hope we don't loose shrader or it will be the same. babers has cost us to much already. by the way ,cut his salary if we can, and get a st coach.
What does this even mean? Why would we lose Shrader? He just got here!

injury--- from too much running.
Ok. It’s possible.

Notable that the play he got hurt on in the Wake game came when he got hit in the pocket as he was throwing though.

I haven’t been concerned on any of his runs so far: he’s huge and hasn’t really taken any big hits while running.

Ok. It’s possible.

Notable that the play he got hurt on in the Wake game came when he got hit in the pocket as he was throwing though.

I haven’t been concerned on any of his runs so far: he’s huge and hasn’t really taken any big hits while running.
I would run him..but with more discretion. Sliding, etc. If you take too many hard shots...any position...you will get hurt eventually. Clemson will take gratuitous shots. They always do. Shinski especially.

Why did it take Dino 3 games to realize that GS was better then TD? Why did it take 3+ seasons to realize that Cavanaugh was not producing the required results of an OL coach? How about getting Schmidt ONLY because his first hire bolted before the season even started? You can't give credit to a coach in year 6 with an overall record of 27-39 and conclude that he has good decision making skills. There are a few games where his decisions have been positive however, the chaos that occurs on the sideline in critical situations is so obvious. It's not just me making these statements, it's partially the entire board now. The only reason Dino gets another year is solely based on finances at this point.
It is loyalty. This is common in sports. Yes it is a mistake. I'd also refer to it as excessive loyalty. I have seen this in all sports. It is really misplaced loyalty. You like and respect someone. You stick with them. Even if you know deep down they are not living up to expectations...and there are better options

4 guys who did not have misplaced loyalty ...Saban, Coughlin, Belichick, Parcells...also, do not confuse this term with " zero loyalty". These great coaches I reference above all have loyalty. But you still have to pull your weight. Loyalty does not mean free pass. Not coincidentally, Saban, Belichick, Coughlin, Parcells...all will be in HOF.

Belichick has said often he hates cutting players. Worst part of his job. Never got used to it. Especially cutting guys who have worked hard for years and sacrificed for team. But he still cuts them...if the rookie adds more value, that player is gone.. Same with TC, Tuna and Saban. Tough business, cold business...this is not day care.

If you need a friend, go buy a dog.

Last edited:
It is loyalty. This is common in sports. Yes it is a mistake. I'd also refer to it as excessive loyalty. I have seen this in all sports. It is really misplaced loyalty. You like and respect someone. You stick with them. Even if you know deep down they are not living up to expectations.

3 guys who did not have misplaced loyalty...do not confuse this term with " zero loyalty". Saban, Belichick, Coughlin...all will be in HOF.

Belichick has said often he hates cutting players. Especially guys who have worked hard for years and sacrificed for team. But he still cuts them...if the rookie adds more value, that player is gone Same with TC and Ssban. Tough business...this is not day care.

Tom Coughlin - with all the resources in the world - got lopped off because a lot of end of game stuff his last year. And with all the resources in the world that organization hasn't been the same since.

How long did it take JoePa to win it all? How ma y coaches win it all? (Not many!).

The real questions are who wl you bring and how so you pay the buyout? This assumes you fully know and understand SU's metrics in their evaluation. None of us on this board know with an exception for one or two, and they cannot reveal the metrics. The ball is in your court, pony up the money and secure the replacement.

As to experience, coach Mac had a few rough years to build his team. Were you clamoring for Mac's termination?

I have been consistent, Babers made mistakes. He has to prove himself. However, the two metrics we are sure of (buyout and who will replace him) are not easy questions. He has the team moving in the right direction, not as fast as your and I want, but in the right direction. How will Wildhack make his decision? Who knows? But history shows SU to be fiscally conservative.

How long did it take JoePa to win it all? How ma y coaches win it all? (Not many!).

The real questions are who wl you bring and how so you pay the buyout? This assumes you fully know and understand SU's metrics in their evaluation. None of us on this board know with an exception for one or two, and they cannot reveal the metrics. The ball is in your court, pony up the money and secure the replacement.

As to experience, coach Mac had a few rough years to build his team. Were you clamoring for Mac's termination?

I have been consistent, Babers made mistakes. He has to prove himself. However, the two metrics we are sure of (buyout and who will replace him) are not easy questions. He has the team moving in the right direction, not as fast as your and I want, but in the right direction. How will Wildhack make his decision? Who knows? But history shows SU to be fiscally conservative.
who said buyout? i assume nothing. i do not care about su metrics. rest assured i will ask at the gate about metrics. as for mac, no i did not call for his removal, nor did i call for maloneys removal . i did want shafer removed for juvenile delinquency.
win it all???? as u said??? I HAVE NO IDEA why you say that.
by the way, i still like orange pants ,white shirts, orange helmets at home

A competent coach formulated a game plan that gave us a chance to beat a very good football team.
We should all listen to OrangePA. He was about the only one who made the correct call about Coach P. I believe he is right now also. It's foolishness to fire a coach over his actions in a game or 2. Dino built this team. We need to be patient and see what the cake looks like when Dino opens the oven next year.

I did not watch the whole game but our so-called great kicker, he's missed quite a few kicks this season and if he made that kick we would have won. That's not coaching that's just a guy missing a field goal.
I am going to go back and watch the whole game because sometimes you know I just get too angry watching the games so I just do something else ;p but I do follow it.
I go back and watch afterwards but you know I don't even really get too angry about the result I mean at least my bills are winning LOL trying to look on the bright side of something.
I have not been happy with Szmyt at all this season.

I have not been happy with Szmyt at all this season.
Me neither he's like a totally different kicker. Must be partying too hard at the proclaimed number one party school in the country. LOL got to be careful with that

Last edited:
Me neither he's like a totally different kicker. Must be partying too hard at the proclaimed number one party school in the country. LOL got to be careful that
Sometimes it can be the holder.

We should all listen to OrangePA. He was about the only one who made the correct call about Coach P. I believe he is right now also. It's foolishness to fire a coach over his actions in a game or 2. Dino built this team. We need to be patient and see what the cake looks like when Dino opens the oven next year.

Was Coach P really the wrong decision? We were mediocre. Could he have kept us mediocre? Probably - in that league and what it was becoming.

But he didn’t do anything after leaving Cuse as a head coach. I think his time was just about up regardless - unless we wanted to go 6-6 forever, in a weak league.

The mistake was hiring Robinson.

Was Coach P really the wrong decision? We were mediocre. Could he have kept us mediocre? Probably - in that league and what it was becoming.

But he didn’t do anything after leaving Cuse as a head coach. I think his time was just about up regardless - unless we wanted to go 6-6 forever, in a weak league.

The mistake was hiring Robinson.

I remember Robinson getting off the plane and saying he’s never been to Syracuse and thinking to myself this might not work. Who knew how much it wouldn’t work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom