Dino Babers is.. | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers is..

What I hear is the players are still "all in". They are frustrated with the recent results, but are ready to put their work in and get ready for Clemson on a short week.

I'm not sure about the "no-win" position your present. 1) Babers is building a program here. It hasn't happened overnight and may never be big enough to satisfy some of the posters here. But the program is trending in the right direction. 2) Babers is 60 years old and has been coaching for 37 years. Even if things start to click and we are in bowls games in 2022, 2023 and 2024, is he going to want to leave then, after nine years in CNY? Maybe. And if he does, by then a few of his current assistants will be more than ready to take over. I'm not convinced they're ready now. A while back I remember a post that said they didn't think Babers would stay at Syracuse long term because he hadn't put down roots in Syracuse". What kind of roots does a football coach need to put down to convince someone he's looking to leave town?

Regarding Coach White, why do people say he has NY roots? His father was career military and moved around a lot. He was born in Florida and he spent some of his youth in NYC. But he went to high school in Texas and college in California. This is Coach White's first time living east of the Mississippi in probably 30 years.

Keeping Coach White and Coach Schmidt will be a couple of Coach Babers' biggest challenges after the season.

Having a Head coach who is "a great character/CEO leader" is invaluable. And something the Syracuse athletic department may want to keep around.

Go Orange.
With all do respect 6 years isnt overnight. It’s not too much to ask for to make more then 1 bowl game in 5 seasons. If it is then we need to ask what are we doing at this level. If by some disappointing circumstance we go 5-7 this year and next year do you keep him? Is 1 bowl in 6 years good enough? Is 1 in 7? Sooner or later results have to materialize no matter the “program” he is building here.

We should all listen to OrangePA. He was about the only one who made the correct call about Coach P. I believe he is right now also. It's foolishness to fire a coach over his actions in a game or 2. Dino built this team. We need to be patient and see what the cake looks like when Dino opens the oven next year.
(1) Firing Coach P was ABSOLUTELY the correct move. Botching the hire doesn't change that.

(2) Nobody is calling for Dino to be fired over two games. Literally. Nobody. I do see a lot of posters that are fed up with seeing the same disorganization and mistakes over and five and a half SEASONS that do not put the team in a position to win.

(3) Our opponents and recruiting rivals are salivating over the idea of our continued "patience".

Why did it take Dino 3 games to realize that GS was better then TD? Why did it take 3+ seasons to realize that Cavanaugh was not producing the required results of an OL coach? How about getting Schmidt ONLY because his first hire bolted before the season even started? You can't give credit to a coach in year 6 with an overall record of 27-39 and conclude that he has good decision making skills. There are a few games where his decisions have been positive however, the chaos that occurs on the sideline in critical situations is so obvious. It's not just me making these statements, it's partially the entire board now. The only reason Dino gets another year is solely based on finances at this point.
Maybe because he was hoping Shrader could run the system he's been running the last 5 years?

Cav/Schmidt. Maybe he told Cav to look for a job, and that was planned?

We really don't know. I applaud the Schmidt hire. Good Decision. I applaud that he stopped throwing Bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bombs. Dive. Dive. BOMB.

Last edited:
(2) Nobody is calling for Dino to be fired over two games. Literally. Nobody. I do see a lot of posters that are fed up with seeing the same disorganization and mistakes over and five and a half SEASONS that do not put the team in a position to win.
Totally. The clock management and time outs have been questioned for a number of seasons not just two games.

The disorganization really seems to be a thing. I questioned us being the only team without an updated roster this summer and thought it seemed disorganized and sloppy and people thought Dino was playing 5D chess or something. Even the weekly two deep is usually a mess. I wouldn’t be surprised if Taj and Cisco are on it next week

Maybe because he was hoping Shrader could run the system he's been running the last 5 years?

Cav/Schmidt. Maybe he told Cav to look for a job, and that was planned?

We really don't know. I applaud the Schmidt hire. Good Decision. I applaud that he stopped throwing Bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bombs. Dive. Dive. BOMB.
A lot of "maybes" in there. Anyway, three seasons to have Cav look for another planned job opportunity was three seasons to long. Dino's system that he was running the last five years didn't work which was obvious when Dungey broke out of that pattern.

PP did a heck of a job here. To say otherwise is ludicrous. He needed the investment in facilities that has finally been going on recently and a new offensive coordinator. Very few schools have been able to make a change and not see a dip in won loss percentage. Most, like us, have made a change and regretted it.

PP did a heck of a job here. To say otherwise is ludicrous. He needed the investment in facilities that has finally been going on recently and a new offensive coordinator. Very few schools have been able to make a change and not see a dip in won loss percentage. Most, like us, have made a change and regretted it.
He was rightfully terminated for poor performance. He failed to adapt with the times. For the second time: botching the ensuing hire by making one of the worst P5 hires of all time does not mean that firing P wasn't justified.

DL McKinley Williams redshirt senior
DL Kingsley Jonathan senior
DL Cody Roscoe senior
DL Josh Black redshirt senior

We are going to be in big trouble on the defensive line next year

Or maybe not..

We're returning starter Harper, Lockett, and Darney at DT, plus Fuentes / Rondi.

Okechukwu replaces Black, Linton replaces Jonathan. Geer ascends.

Solid nucleus, hardly the dire straits being portrayed. And given that we're running such a wide group out there to play this season, those guys will be ready to ascend into more prominent roles next year.

Last edited:
Every P5 team didn't play in New York State. Only one did. Not sure why people make this such a flat statement. We were a mess last season for a lot of reasons, it happens but offing a guy because of it is illogical.

UB is not P5 but they are in NYS and they went 6-1 with the same state restrictions.

UB is not P5 but they are in NYS and they went 6-1 with the same state restrictions.
What would our record have then if we played their schedule? Asking for a friend, who insists on baselining comparisons.

What would our record have then if we played their schedule? Asking for a friend, who insists on baselining comparisons.

If you want to play their schedule we need to leave the ACC and drop down a level.

My point was that covid didn't cripple their program last year.

The record was 1-10 with or without covid.

Or maybe not..

We're returning starter Harper, Lockett, and Darney at DT, plus Fuentes / Rondi.

Okechukwu replaces Black, Linton replaces Jonathan. Geer ascends.

Solid nucleus, hardly the dire straits being portrayed. I'm given that we're running such a wide group out there to play this season, those guys will be ready to ascend into more prominent roles next year.

With the four I mentioned we’re losing 9.5 sacks, 34 solo tackles, and 65 total tackles through 6 games this year. The 7 guys you mention will return 4 sacks, 16 solo tackles and 30 total tackles.

We can’t replace that production so easily. We’re gonna have to find some more guys in the portal like Cody Roscoe that are ready to come in right away.

If you want to play their schedule we need to leave the ACC and drop down a level.

My point was that covid didn't cripple their program last year.

The record was 1-10 with or without covid.
Cares? They played a much easier schedule, that didn't include teams like eventual college football playoff champions series Clemson.

Nobody is disputing that 1-10 isn't bad, but you're making a s***** comparison.

With the four I mentioned we’re losing 9.5 sacks, 34 solo tackles, and 65 total tackles through 6 games this year. The 7 guys you mention will return 4 sacks, 16 solo tackles and 30 total tackles.

We can’t replace that production so easily. We’re gonna have to find some more guys in the portal like Cody Roscoe that are ready to come in right away.
My counter is that attrition is part of college football. I agree, that solid production. I would love to see this land a grad transfer or juco nose tackle.

Cares? They played a much easier schedule, that didn't include teams like eventual college football playoff champions series Clemson.

Nobody is disputing that 1-10 isn't bad, but you're making a s***** comparison.

The comparison was the same NYS covid restrictions didn't ruin Buffalo's record.
They play a weaker schedule because they are a lower level school. We are a P5 school of course our schedule is tougher. Don't be so dense.

The comparison was the same NYS covid restrictions didn't ruin Buffalo's record.
They play a weaker schedule because they are a lower level school. We are a P5 school of course our schedule is tougher. Don't be so dense.
Don't be so dense as to try to pass a s***** comparison off, on the pedantic association of New York state alone.

Good god. If we played their schedule, we might have qualified for a owll even with the multitude of debilitating injuries we suffered. Apples and oranges.

Which should be readily obvious. But yes, they also were in New York state, so kudos on winning that irrelevant, hair splitting point.

He freezes. Hes not good under pressure.
Isn’t there a way to prep for these situations? Kind of like prepping for SATs… have someone grill him with different scenarios until it becomes reflexive.

Don't be so dense as to try to pass a s***** comparison off, on the pedantic association of New York state alone.

Good god. If we played their schedule, we might have qualified for a owll even with the multitude of debilitating injuries we suffered. Apples and oranges.

Which should be readily obvious. But yes, they also were in New York state, so kudos on winning that irrelevant, hair splitting point.

Wow! Who lit the fuse to your tampon?

Isn’t there a way to prep for these situations? Kind of like prepping for SATs… have someone grill him with different scenarios until it becomes reflexive.
This reminds me of the old Pink Panther movies with Peter Sellers as inspector Clouseau . Clouseau instructs his assistant, Cato, to attack at any time to sharpen his awareness and to make hin unassailable. That was real good stuff.

Wow! Who lit the fuse to your tampon?

Brilliant comeback.

I look forward to your next insightful post about how Syracuse compares to Cato-Meridian's 2020 HS football team's record. Since they are also from NYS.

A lot of "maybes" in there. Anyway, three seasons to have Cav look for another planned job opportunity was three seasons to long. Dino's system that he was running the last five years didn't work which was obvious when Dungey broke out of that pattern.
I agree with all that.

The "maybes" are because there are so many assumptions floating around as truth, that I didn't want it in that category. I personally think those things were in the works for a while.

I'm guessing Cav was on thin Ice in 19, and the only thing that saved his bacon was improvement in the last 4? Games. Being so depleted in 20, it may not have been a good look, or even fair, to fire him. To tell him to put his resume out there, may have been a more responsible decision. (Assumption)

I can't remember, 19 or 20? A very reliable someone told me , in season, the offense was going to look different. I think the QB who was supposed to run that got injured. IF this was true, and not an assumption? It seems they were trying to alter the offense as well. MAYBE they wanted to give it a try with a functioning oline. (Due to injury, it was not, and wasn't working). MAYBE they've been trying to fix it for longer than they are being given credit for, and injury and bad luck played a part. Or MAYBE they haven't been doing anything.

Regardless of any maybes, lol, i think there has been a bit more stuff happening behind the scenes. At least I hope so.

valid point. Albany and Buffalo used to be considered speed bumps in all sports and now they're peers.
has Syracuse fallen or have they risen ? either scenario doesn't really reflect well on us as a program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom