Dino Babers ... NOT NAMED 2018 ACC Coach of the Year | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers ... NOT NAMED 2018 ACC Coach of the Year

That's absurd.

I can't fargin wait until Clemson comes to the Dome next season.

and I take it Addazio voted for himself

That’s just dumb.

I saw the conversation going on yesterday on twitter for the case for Dabo to get coy and it wasn't from a southern journalist but rather one with ESPN. I don't think this is a racist thing but rather due to the fact that the majority of the voting media are probably from the Carolinas and have been admirers of Dabo for years.
Whether it's racism or Tobacco road bias - either way the COY vote doesn't cast a favorable light on the ACC. Just adds chalk and Makes Dino's run through North Carolina all the sweeter. More a**-kickings on the way next year y'all.

Last edited:
Whether it's racism or Southern FB worship - either way the COY vote doesn't leave me with a good feeling about the ACC. Makes Dino's run through North Carolina all the sweeter. And more a**-kickings are on the way next year.

This is where I am. For me mentally this is a tipping point in my mind when it comes to happiness with this conference.

Wow... well Dino time to win it next year. This is absurd. This isn’t “the best team award” it’s the “best coaching job done this season” award. And taking a team picked last in the preseason to second best at the end of regular season in the ACC is way more impressive. What a joke.

Just for some recent history on this:

2013 - Cutcliffe with a 9-3 record got ACC COY over undefeated 12-0 Jimbo Fisher (who went on to win NC)
2014 - Paul Johnson with a 10-2 record got ACC COY over 11-1 Jimbo Fisher
2015 - Dabo Swinney got ACC COY with a regular season record of 12-0
2016 - Justine Fuente with an 8-4 record got ACC COY over 11-1 Dabo Swinney
2017 - Mark Richt with a 10-1 record got ACC COY over 11-1 Dabo Swinney

So there is no consistency in how they vote. I haven't researched it but I saw on another board that when Dabo won in 2015 it was his first ACC COY honor. If that is the case, I don't feel so bad for Babers because Dabo probably should have won the award in 2011 and 2016 in addition to his 2015 win. Had they got it right in those years, Babers might have won this year.

Cheers,
Neil

The 6 years prior to this year, the voters only gave the ACCCOTY to the coach with the best record once (Dabo, '15). Cutcliffe won in 2012 with a losing record. This award has basically been "overachievers award"

2013 - Cutcliffe with a 9-3 record got ACC COY over undefeated 12-0 Jimbo Fisher (who went on to win NC)

So there is no consistency in how they vote. I haven't researched it but I saw on another board that when Dabo won in 2015 it was his first ACC COY honor. If that is the case, I don't feel so bad for Babers because Dabo probably should have won the award in 2011 and 2016 in addition to his 2015 win. Had they got it right in those years, Babers might have won this year.

Cheers,
Neil

We're on the save wavelengths lol

Second robbery in two days...first Dungey and now Babers!

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks for the jolt of logic. Fedora had a pretty compelling case in 2015 (picked 5th in their division, finished 8-0 in conference) but didn't win it. That snub also squashes the Tobacco Road mafia conspiracy stuff a bit.

The 6 years prior to this year, the voters only gave the ACCCOTY to the coach with the best record once (Dabo, '15). Cutcliffe won in 2012 with a losing record. This award has basically been "overachievers award"

I didn't even look at prior to 2013. They obviouisly didn't fully believe in Cutcliffe to continue well into the next season and gave him COY in 2012 for a 6-6 record which was only 3 games better than the previous year.
What morons. Probably another year where Dabo deserved it.

:rolling:

Cheers,
Neil

My guess is Brian Kelly wins National COY
Probably. ND was 12th in the preseason AP poll. If they lose their first playoff game, which looks likely, they will end up around 8th. Kelly did a good job but he had a lot to work with.

Here is a list of the top 25 teams in the preseason AP poll and where they sit now. I also included any teams ranked now that were not ranked in the preseason.

I would say that the biggest positive surprises are Syracuse and Army. Syracuse had a better season and more impressive wins, so I would give Dino the edge here.

My Top 6 Coaching Jobs for 2018:

Syracuse-Dino Babers
Army-Jeff Monken
Texas-Tom Herman
Washington State-Mike Leach
UCF- Josh Heupel
Kentucky-Mark Stoops

Preseason

Ranking

Team

Ranking

Today

Variance

Alabama

Clemson

Georgia

Wisconsin

NR

21-

Ohio State

Washington

Oklahoma

+2

Miami

NR

17-

Auburn

NR

16-

Penn State

Michigan State

NR

14-

Notre Dame

+9

Stanford

NR

12-

Michigan

+6

USC

NR

10-

TCU

NR

9-

WVU

+2

Mississippi St

Florida State

NR

6-

Virginia Tech

NR

5-

UCF

+14

Boise State

+3

Texas

+14

Oregon

NR

2+

LSU

+13

Florida

NR

14+

Washington St

NR

15+

Kentucky

NR

9+

Utah

NR

8+

Syracuse

NR

7+

Northwestern

NR

4+

Texas A&M

NR

3+

Army

NR

2+

Iowa State

NR

1+

Fresno State

NR

0+

Last edited:
Is there a list showing who voted for which HC, especially regarding the media?

Cheers,
Neil

There’s plenty of consistency: They vote for the white guy.

Got to love it (not). The guy who is supposed to win, the one that everybody expects and picks to win, ends up winning. The guy who is supposed to lose, the one everybody picks to finish last, ends up winning, more than double what anyone would have ever predicted and he he still loses. Oh my aching head.

It just might be one of those things where we need to win like this a few years in a row for us to get the respect we deserve. There is definitely a sense that north vs south with this conference. Sad actually