DINO BABERS | Syracusefan.com

DINO BABERS

zjscuse

All Conference
and company will have the dome rocking like this again!! ( sorry its the off season, its are duty as sports fans to reminisce about the past and the apparent future around this time of year). Man did this video pump me up though. I truly believe this program will turn heads in the immediate future. I wouldnt mind hearing some more veteran fans that bleed orange, talk about there fondest memories and ways they think we can have the dome rocking like this again.

Last edited:
and company will have the dome rocking like this again!! ( sorry its the off season, its are duty as sports fans to reminisce about the past and the apparent future around this time of year). Man did this video pump me up though. I truly believe this program will turn heads in the immediate future. I wouldnt mind hearing some more veteran fans that bleed orange, talk about there fondest memories and ways they think we can have the dome rocking like this again.
Love those UNIS !!

I remember missing this game. I watched it at my brothers apartment with about 50 people. We were feeling pretty down at the beginning, but I'll bet the 50 of us challenged the dome that night as far as the decibel level goes when McNabb hit Brominski on the throwback. The whole campus back then was just a completely different animal than what we have on gamedays now. I remember it feeling like we were big time. I took it for granted.

Man what a game! Sad to think that basically it was all downhill after that. Michael Vick spurns us, Ray Rice goes elsewhere and we became a laughing stock of college football for 10 years. It finally feels like we're on the right path again though.

I remember missing this game. I watched it at my brothers apartment with about 50 people. We were feeling pretty down at the beginning, but I'll bet the 50 of us challenged the dome that night as far as the decibel level goes when McNabb hit Brominski on the throwback. The whole campus back then was just a completely different animal than what we have on gamedays now. I remember it feeling like we were big time. I took it for granted.

That was a great game. We were the better team, but had lost to VT the year before, and they had become a thorn in our sides. We shot ourselves in the foot numerous times throughout the game -- including having a VT player take a punt off of our punters foot and run it in full speed for a TD, a miscue on a two point conversion we were attempting that led to a safety for VT and 2 points the other way, etc.

The McNabb to Brominski throw is what everybody remembers, but what an eventful game.

And the amazing thing is that I couldn't see the play -- everybody stood up and I wasn't sure what happened, but the crowd roared and I knew.

That was a great game. We were the better team, but had lost to VT the year before, and they had become a thorn in our sides. We shot ourselves in the foot numerous times throughout the game -- including having a VT player take a punt off of our punters foot and run it in full speed for a TD, a miscue on a two point conversion we were attempting that led to a safety for VT and 2 points the other way, etc.

The McNabb to Brominski throw is what everybody remembers, but what an eventful game.

And the amazing thing is that I couldn't see the play -- everybody stood up and I wasn't sure what happened, but the crowd roared and I knew.
I was front row of the end zone brominski caught the td in. Opposite side. What a game!!!

My father took the espn2 banner in that end zone, it hangs in my garage. You can see it in the broadcast, we're directly behind it!

Yeah, on that 2 point conversion play McNabb ran the guy down and he intentionally fumbled and another VT player picked it up and ran it in the rest of the way. Shouldn't have counted.

I bought my tickets from a VT players parent outside the Dome and sat in the VT section in the lower corner of the Dome, at the other end from where the game winning TD happened. From that angle, I couldn't tell if he was inbounds. It wasn't even close, but It was hard to believe we actually won in that fashion after our numerous heartbreakers in those years so I was making sure the Td actually counted for a few seconds before I went nuts.

Some of those VT fans were so mouthy all game...their stunned silence afterwards was so awesome. We were complete maniacs, jumping up and down on the seats at that point.

The two-point PAT miscue was very frustrating.

Man what a game! Sad to think that basically it was all downhill after that. Michael Vick spurns us, Ray Rice goes elsewhere and we became a laughing stock of college football for 10 years. It finally feels like we're on the right path again though.

I think laughing stock is bit harsh.

Maybe during the Robinson years but certainly not during the Marrone years.

Yeah, on that 2 point conversion play McNabb ran the guy down and he intentionally fumbled and another VT player picked it up and ran it in the rest of the way. Shouldn't have counted.

I bought my tickets from a VT players parent outside the Dome and sat in the VT section in the lower corner of the Dome, at the other end from where the game winning TD happened. From that angle, I couldn't tell if he was inbounds. It wasn't even close, but It was hard to believe we actually won in that fashion after our numerous heartbreakers in those years so I was making sure the Td actually counted for a few seconds before I went nuts.

Some of those VT fans were so mouthy all game...their stunned silence afterwards was so awesome. We were complete maniacs, jumping up and down on the seats at that point.

Agreed -- it was a clear forward lateral.

Crazy how the stars align sometimes because that's such a ballsy throw lol

It's crazy to use the terrel hunt bc game as a point of reference from where we were to where we are now. It boggles my mind how 2 men (gross, robinson) could destroy a program for nearly 2 decade's. I listened to a podcast of a former player and it made me so angry to hear how laid back and undisciplined g rob was.. Marrone had the pilot light lit there was so much buzz after that pinstripe win. At the very least it proved to many of the fsn base it could be done again.

Yeah, that happened right in front of me. Baltantly horrible missed call. At the time, considering the BS equipment violation calls against Tennessee earlier in the year, I thought we were definitely getting screwed out of that game.

I think laughing stock is bit harsh.

Maybe during the Robinson years but certainly not during the Marrone years.
Outside observers still don't take Syracuse football seriously. Anytime I bring it up with people where I live, I hear, "It's really only a basketball school." Some minor bowl wins were not enough to change national perception.

Outside observers still don't take Syracuse football seriously. Anytime I bring it up with people where I live, I hear, "It's really only a basketball school." Some minor bowl wins were not enough to change national perception.

Some would say that "they" say the same thing about UNC.

Far cry from laughing stock.

Where do you live?

Some would say that "they" say the same thing about UNC.

Far cry from laughing stock.

Where do you live?
Knoxville.

I look at UNC as only a mediocre football school and their recent history is better than ours. They've had a winning record 8 of the last 9 years with an 11 win season. When we get back to that we'll be relevant. Our 3 winning seasons with 3 wins in bowls many people don't know exist, post GRob, is not enough to change national perception yet.

I'll agree we aren't the laughing stock we were when we were named one of the bottom 10 teams in the country during the abyss, but nobody outside of the teams on our schedule give us a second thought. I would say the same is true for a few of the teams that are on our schedule.

I think that'll change but it'll take more than just a couple 7-6 seasons with texas bowl wins. We need to string together 5-10 years worth of winning seasons with occasional 10 win seasons that include a few big upsets and contention for division titles.

"Syracuse has a football team?"

Heard that one a lot in Bama.

"Syracuse has a football team?"

Heard that one a lot in Bama.

Well that's what you get for going to Alabama in the first place.

Knoxville.

I look at UNC as only a mediocre football school and their recent history is better than ours. They've had a winning record 8 of the last 9 years with an 11 win season. When we get back to that we'll be relevant. Our 3 winning seasons with 3 wins in bowls many people don't know exist, post GRob, is not enough to change national perception yet.

I'll agree we aren't the laughing stock we were when we were named one of the bottom 10 teams in the country during the abyss, but nobody outside of the teams on our schedule give us a second thought. I would say the same is true for a few of the teams that are on our schedule.

I think that'll change but it'll take more than just a couple 7-6 seasons with texas bowl wins. We need to string together 5-10 years worth of winning seasons with occasional 10 win seasons that include a few big upsets and contention for division titles.

UNC is a BB school - as is KY.

And they always will be.

We are different. We have a great football heritage.

I agree that we need to have some solid success for an extended period of time. I think we are going to see that success.

I can assure you, the folks in Knoxville recall the time the Vols found their way to the Dome.

UNC is a BB school - as is KY.

And they always will be.

We are different. We have a great football heritage.

I agree that we need to have some solid success for an extended period of time. I think we are going to see that success.

I can assure you, the folks in Knoxville recall the time the Vols found their way to the Dome.
You've just changed the subject.

I never questioned our heritage. But believe me, few people younger than 60 know it. About 1 out of 50 that I talk to know that Jim Brown went to SU and fewer realize the number of NFL HOFer's we've had. Most don't even realize Marvin Harrison went to Syracuse despite declaring whatever team Peyton Manning played for as their favorite. Yes, they remember their trip to the dome fondly. It was their first step to their '98 NC.

For most people 20 years ago is ancient history. McNabb's last season was 19 years ago.

The question was whether we were CURRENTLY a laughing stock nationally. I contend that our national perception is one step above it. I think we'll start to change it soon, but it'll take time for it to take hold.

Well that's what you get for going to Alabama in the first place.
gulf shores and that area of alabama is very nice. north and south alabama are somewhat different in how they look at things. gulf shores and the environs is a tourist area. i have considered by home on the beach there,but it is too far from my grand kids.

Last edited:
gulf shores and that area of alabama is very nice. north and south alabama are somewhat different in how they look at things. gulf shores and the environs is a tourist area. i have considered by home on the beach there,but it is too far from my grand kids.
Very true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom