DINO BABERS | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DINO BABERS

You've just changed the subject.

I never questioned our heritage. But believe me, few people younger than 60 know it. About 1 out of 50 that I talk to know that Jim Brown went to SU and fewer realize the number of NFL HOFer's we've had. Most don't even realize Marvin Harrison went to Syracuse despite declaring whatever team Peyton Manning played for as their favorite. Yes, they remember their trip to the dome fondly. It was their first step to their '98 NC.

For most people 20 years ago is ancient history. McNabb's last season was 19 years ago.

The question was whether we were CURRENTLY a laughing stock nationally. I contend that our national perception is one step above it. I think we'll start to change it soon, but it'll take time for it to take hold.

I took issue with your thought that we are a laughing stock.

I think that is simply not true - not even close.

Obviously, the BB program has a much higher profile in today's college sports environment.

I have no argument there.

But, I think the FB program is viewed in a more favorable and deferential light than you believe.

And, that is why I said, the folks in Knoxville know our FB program quite well - still.

I took issue with your thought that we are a laughing stock.

I think that is simply not true - not even close.

Obviously, the BB program has a much higher profile in today's college sports environment.

I have no argument there.

But, I think the FB program is viewed in a more favorable and deferential light than you believe.

And, that is why I said, the folks in Knoxville know our FB program quite well - still.
But they don't. You assume because we scared them in 1998 they know our program? That's ancient history in their minds and they forgot that game before the end of the season. In their minds it was just another W on the way to the NC. Such is the mind of SEC fans.

You wear orange colored glasses, I get it and that's great. But it's not a bad thing to have a realistic view of where we stand outside of the SU fanbase.

You're probably right, we're no longer a laughing stock. We're a step above it in the eyes of outsiders, which I said previously. We're anomimous.

I don't think the football program is seen as a laughingstock, but no one really cares about SU football outside of our fanbase. Irrelevant is nothing to be excited about, but hopefully Dino will change that very soon.

You've just changed the subject.

I never questioned our heritage. But believe me, few people younger than 60 know it. About 1 out of 50 that I talk to know that Jim Brown went to SU and fewer realize the number of NFL HOFer's we've had. Most don't even realize Marvin Harrison went to Syracuse despite declaring whatever team Peyton Manning played for as their favorite. Yes, they remember their trip to the dome fondly. It was their first step to their '98 NC.

For most people 20 years ago is ancient history. McNabb's last season was 19 years ago.

The question was whether we were CURRENTLY a laughing stock nationally. I contend that our national perception is one step above it. I think we'll start to change it soon, but it'll take time for it to take hold.

As a Syracuse fan who doesn't follow the Vols, has Tennessee been relevant since their championship year? I hear about various SEC teams from year to year, but their name doesn't seem to come up. To follow up, even though I couldn't tell you what there record was last year or if they made a bowl, I assume they've had a better run of late than SU has.

As a Syracuse fan who doesn't follow the Vols, has Tennessee been relevant since their championship year? I hear about various SEC teams from year to year, but their name doesn't seem to come up. To follow up, even though I couldn't tell you what there record was last year or if they made a bowl, I assume they've had a better run of late than SU has.
Even though I live here I don't follow them closely. I stopped listening to sports talk because it's all local and unbearably SEC oriented.

They have been better than SU. I think they played in some SEC Championship games in the early and/or mid 2000's. They have been pretty consistently in the 7-8 win area with a few losing records mixed in, especially under Dooley. They were expected to win a weak east division this year but underachieved. Some think Butch Jones is starting to get a warm seat and think he needs to win the division next year to save his job.

I actually think that Syracuse has a very strong national brand. When we start to win again and play the best competitively our climb back will be much faster than most because of our brand. I think we are 2 years out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom