Dino is in a good spot | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino is in a good spot

I’d be ok making an excuse and saying too many players caught Covid and they have to forfeit. You don’t build a program by getting your best players killed in a game we have slim-to-none odds.

When we’re consistently top 25 then we don’t have to debate this.
You would never get a decent recruit to come play here if you didn’t play your healthy guys in big games. Absolutely absurd to think Shrader would go for that.

If we want long term stability, I think we should find more of a CEO/figurehead HC. Dino seems willing to be that guy based on the changes he has made, so I am all for keeping him with a favorable buyout.

I think we need a HC who doesn't have one foot out the door. Who has a good personality for recruiting and fundraising. And is willing to let the OC/DC have control. Dino fits that and has established recruiting ties.

We are better off spending a lot of money on our OC and DC, and less on HC. If Dino needs to go, I would look for an SU guy to fit that role. That IMO is the only way we can stop a revolving door at HC, keep recruiting ties, and have any type of sustained success.

Also I think a lot of HCs have shorter shelf lives because they get tied to a system. Going the above route prevents that as you can change a system when it loses its effectiveness.

they beat BC 2

I think sitting Shrader is silly. That being said what he does with his legs will not work vs Clemson or FSU. Also the FSU game is on the road. I am not liking our chances.

I’d be ok making an excuse and saying too many players caught Covid and they have to forfeit. You don’t build a program by getting your best players killed in a game we have slim-to-none odds.

When we’re consistently top 25 then we don’t have to debate this.
You don’t get a program in the first place pussing out against top competition.

Have you ever played competitive sports?

I think Dino has done some dumb things.

I also think he has done a lot to get the school on more stable footing and in a much better position moving forward when he eventually moves on.

Personally, I think the school should extend his contract two years, with the caveat he makes a bowl game this year and again next.

They should also look at Jason Beck and Rocky Long and give them a raise if their O / D hit x,y,z statistical rankings.

You would never get a decent recruit to come play here if you didn’t play your healthy guys in big games. Absolutely absurd to think Shrader would go for that.
Hippa confidentiality could be used to make every player think every other player was contagious. There’s ways to do it.

Lot of crazy stuff in this thread. Go to bowls keep your job for Dino but he should be more worried about keeping Beck for a few years.

This was a stupid idea that was brought up last year and it’s a stupid idea this year
I don’t know that we should do it, but it’s absolutely not a stupid idea. NBA players sit at times all season simply because it’s 82 games and everyone is finally acknowledging that the postseason is all that matters.

The Sox used to occasionally skip Pedro in the rotation to give him extra rest knowing they needed him healthy all season and in the playoffs. Teams do that even more now.

Everyone on this board would lose their mind every season arguing JB needed to get starters more rest to ‘keep them fresh.’

I’m not arguing for sitting GS but I can certainly see the thought process in doing so when his being banged up would be such a massive hurdle to overcome for our season.

I don’t know that we should do it, but it’s absolutely not a stupid idea. NBA players sit at times all season simply because it’s 82 games and everyone is finally acknowledging that the postseason is all that matters.

The Sox used to occasionally skip Pedro in the rotation to give him extra rest knowing they needed him healthy all season and in the playoffs. Teams do that even more now.

Everyone on this board would lose their mind every season arguing JB needed to get starters more rest to ‘keep them fresh.’

I’m not arguing for sitting GS but I can certainly see the thought process in doing so when his being banged up would be such a massive hurdle to overcome for our season.
It’s a stupid idea. They play 12-13 games a season and you play every game you are able to.

Lot of crazy stuff in this thread. Go to bowls keep your job for Dino but he should be more worried about keeping Beck for a few years.
Yesterday’s first half wasn’t exactly high level.

Beck is where he needs to be right now. He has a high ceiling. But let’s allow him to grow into that position.

Sean Lewis had 3 years of D1 OC experience before leaving and I know he wasn’t being paid what Beck is now.

I am really nowhere on CDRW. Posters whose opinions I respect are high on him and he did beat out Lamson who lppked good but he has been uneven in games.No doubt he has a rifle.
Yeah, me too. I always worry when a guy should be really good on paper but then you watch and don’t quite see it.

Then there are the kids like GS and the Army kid where they have obvious flaws, but the things they do well they do REALLY well, so you accept the warts knowing that the overall impact is overwhelmingly positive.

I think the way to look at it is to understand that, as others have posted many times, we need a mobile qb. A guy who can extend plays and hurt teams with his legs at times. If CDRW is weaker in those areas then he better be damn near flawless as a passer. Just makes for a slim margin of error.

It’s a stupid idea. They play 12-13 games a season and you play every game you are able to.
Exactly. You can’t play what if. Every game matters and if you tell players we have no chance and we aren’t playing our starters what message does that send. Play to win, if something happens it happens at least they gave it their all. It’s unbelievable that we live in a time where ppl think it’s okay to roll over. Thankfully this mentality didn’t exist during ww2.

If we had a solid history and track record of QBs in this offense making 12-13 games in relatively good health, I’d agree with you. But, regardless, I’d imagine Dino is in your camp so it’s a moot point.

I’m not sure where this comment goes, so I’m just going to drop it in this thread.

I miss the way college football used to feel. Waking up this morning, with my team sitting at 4-0, I would be ecstatic at the prospect of a big season, and possibly a New Year’s Bowl game. A NC game was always a possibility, but even short of that, a season could be a great success.

Now we have players who will sit out bowl games, not to mention 80 teams make bowl games, including the Charmin Toilet bowl in Detroit. Teams are jumping from one conference to another, players are jumping from one team to another - even within the same conference - and success is measured by whether or not your team made the playoff. Which appears to be slanted toward the same teams every year. (Not that the poll system didn’t too.)

I guess I’m saying 4-0 doesn’t feel like 4-0 used to. And that’s a shame.

Yeah, me too. I always worry when a guy should be really good on paper but then you watch and don’t quite see it.

Then there are the kids like GS and the Army kid where they have obvious flaws, but the things they do well they do REALLY well, so you accept the warts knowing that the overall impact is overwhelmingly positive.

I think the way to look at it is to understand that, as others have posted many times, we need a mobile qb. A guy who can extend plays and hurt teams with his legs at times. If CDRW is weaker in those areas then he better be damn near flawless as a passer. Just makes for a slim margin of error.
CDRW looks so calm out there. I always get the impression he’s trying to keep it together. I think the game just hasn’t slowed down for him yet. It’s tough when you’re waiting for opportunities.

Exactly. You can’t play what if. Every game matters and if you tell players we have no chance and we aren’t playing our starters what message does that send. Play to win, if something happens it happens at least they gave it their all. It’s unbelievable that we live in a time where ppl think it’s okay to roll over. Thankfully this mentality didn’t exist during ww2.
It did exist during WW2, there was a relatively large collation of pacifists/anti war folks who wanted nothing do with the war and thought it’d be better to stay at home and let Europe fight it out.

Well, maybe rolling over on things like, I don’t know, allowing everyone to eat at the same lunch counter, might not have been a bad idea in hindsight.

But honestly, aside from me being annoyed when people point to the 40s and 50s as some sort of golden age of masculinity, I get what you’re saying. And I would assume dino agrees.

What we can all agree on is this: when you let GS take hits and how much you expose him to potential injury could make a 2 or 3 win difference when all is said and done. Yes, he could get injured at any time, but if we can limit the punishment a bit, it could help.

If that’s the case I simply don’t think it’s stupid at all to at least be thinking of every way possible to keep him as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

If we had a solid history and track record of QBs in this offense making 12-13 games in relatively good health, I’d agree with you. But, regardless, I’d imagine Dino is in your camp so it’s a moot point.
Every coach in the country is in my camp. As they should be

I’m not sure where this comment goes, so I’m just going to drop it in this thread.

I miss the way college football used to feel. Waking up this morning, with my team sitting at 4-0, I would be ecstatic at the prospect of a big season, and possibly a New Year’s Bowl game. A NC game was always a possibility, but even short of that, a season could be a great success.

Now we have players who will sit out bowl games, not to mention 80 teams make bowl games, including the Charmin Toilet bowl in Detroit. Teams are jumping from one conference to another, players are jumping from one team to another - even within the same conference - and success is measured by whether or not your team made the playoff. Which appears to be slanted toward the same teams every year. (Not that the poll system didn’t too.)

I guess I’m saying 4-0 doesn’t feel like 4-0 used to. And that’s a shame.

It’s definitely not the same. BUT, I still feel ecstatic about being 4-0.

This is my 33rd season as a die hard, and this has happened what, twice? In my 1st and 32nd seasons. So I’m loving it, especially with CLIMPSON coming to the Dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom