Dino loses playcalling duties in Arizona | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino loses playcalling duties in Arizona

He wanted the usc job and didn’t get it. I know for a fact he was after that job like you can’t believe and truly believed he was going to get it. After he didn’t, the guy packed it in. People don’t want to hear that but it’s 100 percent factual. And for those that think Dino was such a great guy, he was hardly that. He didn’t show up to anything that he wasn’t forced to go to. He didn’t do anything extra ever. I’m not saying he disliked Syracuse, but he was using it to get a job he really wanted. I’ll leave it at that for now
Yeah I've come to accept that Dino viewed us as just another stop toward the bigger goals in his career to be a big time HC out west, and instead he topped out here.

I will add, Dino was not, is not, has never been and will never be a very good football coach. Those that reference 4-0 and 6-0 starts etc etc, are referencing fools gold. We beat soft teams and played soft schedules to accumulate those records and caved as soon as we played any semblance of real football teams. We can also reference injuries etc but those were always nothing more than excuses too. Part of a head coaches job is to coach and build depth, he never did and our talent was not Power Conference level. He couldn’t recruit nor could he coach.

10-3 was nice but fluky and gimmicky against a weak schedule. An upset here and there were nice too, but upsets turned into subsequent 4-8 seasons. No bueno. His gimmick that he tried to implement was figured out pretty quickly and he had no alternative strategies. That was all she wrote. I did not want to extended after 10-3 because he was never any good. He wasn’t a very good coach prior to SU. He should thank Dave Clawson (a good coach) for the millions he made here.

I know nothing about Dino’s character, so I’ll never comment on that. But as a football coach he was horrible. Full of nothing but hot air and no answers. His quitting was an abomination. Be a bad coach, fine, but don’t let yourself and your team quit, which happened more than a few times.

People also want to “throw out” 1-10. lol. It happened. It’s in the record books. And, yes, there were extenuating Covid circumstances, which many other teams also had to contend with. There are no “do overs” in major college football. Just saying “it doesn’t count” doesn’t make it true. 1-10 was our record. Dino owns it. We were 1-10 because Dino and his staff were awful.

People like to defend Dino because he was a nice guy. Okay, fine, that’s fair. However, he didn’t “change”. Nothing “changed”. He wasn’t a good coach. The proof is 100% in the pudding. His horrendous coaching performances are memorialized on film for the rest of eternity. Let’s call it like it was people. USC??? Didn’t happen because they knew.

I will add, Dino was not, is not, has never been and will never be a very good football coach. Those that reference 4-0 and 6-0 starts etc etc, are referencing fools gold. We beat soft teams and played soft schedules to accumulate those records and caved as soon as we played any semblance of real football teams. We can also reference injuries etc but those were always nothing more than excuses too. Part of a head coaches job is to coach and build depth, he never did and our talent was not Power Conference level. He couldn’t recruit nor could he coach.

10-3 was nice but fluky and gimmicky against a weak schedule. An upset here and there were nice too, but upsets turned into subsequent 4-8 seasons. No bueno. His gimmick that he tried to implement was figured out pretty quickly and he had no alternative strategies. That was all she wrote. I did not want to extended after 10-3 because he was never any good. He wasn’t a very good coach prior to SU. He should thank Dave Clawson (a good coach) for the millions he made here.

I know nothing about Dino’s character, so I’ll never comment on that. But as a football coach he was horrible. Full of nothing but hot air and no answers. His quitting was an abomination. Be a bad coach, fine, but don’t let yourself and your team quit, which happened more than a few times.

People also want to “throw out” 1-10. lol. It happened. It’s in the record books. And, yes, there were extenuating Covid circumstances, which many other teams also had to contend with. There are no “do overs” in major college football. Just saying “it doesn’t count” doesn’t make it true. 1-10 was our record. Dino owns it. We were 1-10 because Dino and his staff were awful.

People like to defend Dino because he was a nice guy. Okay, fine, that’s fair. However, he didn’t “change”. Nothing “changed”. He wasn’t a good coach. The proof is 100% in the pudding. His horrendous coaching performances are memorialized on film for the rest of eternity. Let’s call it like it was people. USC??? Didn’t happen because they knew.
THIS!!!

Under Dino, we were not what he preached. Occasionally great, not consistently good. Atleast we weren’t consistently bad during his tenure.

Yes I throw out the Covid 1-10. Nobody in the country had it as bad with rules as NY and New England. Trust me the ACC schools didn’t have to practice in pods while wearing masks.

10-3 was a great season vs teams that had been thumping us for years. It wasn’t gimmicky or flukely.

I don’t feel sorry for Dino.

He wanted the usc job and didn’t get it. I know for a fact he was after that job like you can’t believe and truly believed he was going to get it. After he didn’t, the guy packed it in. People don’t want to hear that but it’s 100 percent factual. And for those that think Dino was such a great guy, he was hardly that. He didn’t show up to anything that he wasn’t forced to go to. He didn’t do anything extra ever. I’m not saying he disliked Syracuse, but he was using it to get a job he really wanted. I’ll leave it at that for now
Agreed. He was screwed after he followed up the 10-3 season with the 5-7 one in 2019 because he was no longer really sought after.

Yes I throw out the Covid 1-10. Nobody in the country had it as bad with rules as NY and New England. Trust me the ACC schools didn’t have to practice in pods while wearing masks.

10-3 was a great season vs teams that had been thumping us for years. It wasn’t gimmicky or flukely.

I don’t feel sorry for Dino.
For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed the 10-3 team. I loved every minute of the season except the thrashing vs Notre Dame. Having said that, we were a fairly good team. not a great one as our record would suggest. I’ll take 10-3 no matter how we get it and be happy. So, I don’t want to diminish that or take anything away from our joy. As you say in this post, it was a pleasure to beat teams that had been thumping us for years. But, I also try to keep things in perspective and, although 10-3 was an accomplishment, this Dino team wasn’t a juggernaut as some like to think it was either. Fingers crossed we get to 10+ wins again soon.

He wasnt a good head coach at the p5 level but to say he wasnt a good football coach is false

Many of us regret him not bouncing when his stock was highest

I will say I agree that he has given us teams with actual highlights n between some awful years
To be fair, we would have been APOPLECTIC if he left.

He was an employee who didn’t get the job he really wanted and was stuck in a place he didn’t want to be. Could not leave and couldn’t get hired away. University was stuck as well with a huge buyout. Hence 5 years of a disgruntled coach who didn’t really care

He was an employee who didn’t get the job he really wanted and was stuck in a place he didn’t want to be. Could not leave and couldn’t get hired away. University was stuck as well with a huge buyout. Hence 5 years of a disgruntled coach who didn’t really care

Yes, it was a mess for both sides and neither were happy, for years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom