Dino Needs to Adopt the Bill Snyder Strategy | Syracusefan.com

Dino Needs to Adopt the Bill Snyder Strategy

He has no pass rush and his secondary is laughable. I would be beating the bushes for any decent Juco to come here in those positions but he won't.

He'd better fix this D asap. Its a hot mess.

The other part of the the Snyder strategy was schedule so weak to make Rutgers blush. Not happening with blockhead Herm.

The entire roster has two grad transfers (Etta-Tawo and Wilson), and two jucos (Lasker and Mahoney) who were qualifiers able to transfer in after one year in JC. Only Mahoney returns.

With 7 slots (roughly) remaining in the current class, the 2017 team could use 5 grad transfers & jucos. Not a full-monty Snyder, but a smart strategy to balance the roster and upgrade units in need. Plenty of needs -- speedy outside receiver, TE, OL, legit RB, QB, DE, LB, DB. Take your pick, based on who is available and willing.

Would this impede the longer term re-build? Not really. Grad transfer spots become available to the 2018 class.

The entire roster has two grad transfers (Etta-Tawo and Wilson), and two jucos (Lasker and Mahoney) who were qualifiers able to transfer in after one year in JC. Only Mahoney returns.

With 7 slots (roughly) remaining in the current class, the 2017 team could use 5 grad transfers & jucos. Not a full-monty Snyder, but a smart strategy to balance the roster and upgrade units in need. Plenty of needs -- speedy outside receiver, TE, OL, legit RB, QB, DE, LB, DB. Take your pick, based on who is available and willing.

Would this impede the longer term re-build? Not really. Grad transfer spots become available to the 2018 class.
One of the issues the team has depth-wise is jumping into the JUCO ranks a few times 3 or 4 years ago. JUCO is like a drinking habit - a few is fine, but too many too often is going to have long-term ill effects.

One of the issues the team has depth-wise is jumping into the JUCO ranks a few times 3 or 4 years ago. JUCO is like a drinking habit - a few is fine, but too many too often is going to have long-term ill effects.

Agree -- but it is a question of quality, considering how our roster stands. Take 3 grad transfers, 2 jucos. Not going to have ill effects within a roster of 85; far less need to repeat in the 2018 cycle as his own recruits fill out the two deep.

Babers added 2 grad transfers in the last cycle, and tried to add a juco CB. Did about the same at BGSU in the 2015 cycle, with a TE, safety -- two immediate starters.

Agree -- but it is a question of quality, considering how our roster stands. Take 3 grad transfers, 2 jucos. Not going to have ill effects within a roster of 85; far less need to repeat in the 2018 cycle as his own recruits fill out the two deep.

Babers added 2 grad transfers in the last cycle, and tried to add a juco CB. Did about the same at BGSU in the 2015 cycle, with a TE, safety -- two immediate starters.
My concern is using JUCO to fill holes as opposed to using JUCO to win now.

My concern is using JUCO to fill holes as opposed to using JUCO to win now.

Explain the difference.

The way I see it, the staff should bring in grad transfers and/or jucos at positions of need, to give the team a better chance of winning in 2017. As the roster fills out with Babers' recruits, there will be less need to go that route.

Consider -- we had Cornelius or perhaps a true frosh in Butler at WR opposite Ishmael. Amba Etta Tawo came in and was better than any receiver on the team.

Explain the difference.

The way I see it, the staff should bring in grad transfers and/or jucos at positions of need, to give the team a better chance of winning in 2017. As the roster fills out with Babers' recruits, there will be less need to go that route.

Consider -- we had Cornelius or perhaps a true frosh in Butler at WR opposite Ishmael. Amba Etta Tawo came in and was better than any receiver on the team.
Here's what I mean:

The team needs an obvious talent upgrade. This we all agree on.

However, I would rather we use JUCO players to fill holes that need experience (like how we may have 0 tight ends returning next year) or add another rotation body (who has a year or two of college experience) to the D-Line. They could hold down the fort as we recruit more players.

Compare that to bringing in JUCO players to play WR or linebacker. Yeah, they could make an impact for two years. But I'd rather the reps go to Butler or Riley or one of next year's freshmen, who we have for three or four years.

As for Grad Transfers, that's not the same as a JUCO. That's having a need you can't develop or recruit for in the short term and filling it.

Grad transfers are fine because they're ready to go. JUCO players fill scholarship spots for two years, which may take away a slot from a guy who can make an impact in his third year. But instead, you have to go back to the well and get another JUCO or have a younger guy who isn't as ready.

Well, that leaves a lot of opportunity for JUCO players and grad transfers, so I am fine with it. You are drawing a fine line between one year or two -- for me, it depends on the quality of the player and whether there is a fit with the needs of the program.

Some JUCOs are ready to go -- we have seen examples, and the TE Dino brought in to BGSU was an immediate starter. His grad transfer at S took reps away from younger guys.

Per another site, Dino has looked at a JUCO for TE, for safety, for LB, for DT and OT. He may not land them, but I like that he is trying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom