Clemson wants out of the ACC too...(shocker) | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson wants out of the ACC too...(shocker)

Interesting about UNC, knew this was coming from their votes and curious where this goes and what their reason is.

I would think that UNC wants the ACC to survive for as long as possible. They are the power player in conference and until their BBall program starts to struggle, they really have no reason to leave.

When the time comes it will be very interesting to see where they go and the ripple effects it has. Academically and competitively in FB they are better off in the B18. Overall athletically and culturally they are better off in the SEC. Also if they went to the B18, the SEC can counter by taking NC State which elevates NC State FB to at worst on par with UNC FB if not past them.

Then we have UVA. I think they should be B18 or bust. And I do think the B18 would take them alone. Sure they want to be with UNC, but does that override the better fit academically, athletically, and culturally of the B18? I don't think we should assume those two are tied to the hip.

The hire was a good one, but a home run designation will require some results on the field to match some buzz in recruiting. Dan Mullen would've been a home run, Coach Brown is more a solid showing in the home run derby but we gotta see how does with live pitches.
Not to get off topic, but I live in Southwest Florida and married into a family of Gator fans with in laws that lived in Gainesville for years up until a few years ago. Dan Mullen absolutely would not have been a home run.

I would think that UNC wants the ACC to survive for as long as possible. They are the power player in conference and until their BBall program starts to struggle, they really have no reason to leave.

When the time comes it will be very interesting to see where they go and the ripple effects it has. Academically and competitively in FB they are better off in the B18. Overall athletically and culturally they are better off in the SEC. Also if they went to the B18, the SEC can counter by taking NC State which elevates NC State FB to at worst on par with UNC FB if not past them.

Then we have UVA. I think they should be B18 or bust. And I do think the B18 would take them alone. Sure they want to be with UNC, but does that override the better fit academically, athletically, and culturally of the B18? I don't think we should assume those two are tied to the hip.

I don't know HRE, somethings going on and logically you're right but this is a weird time we are in when it comes to conferences and $.

I don't know HRE, somethings going on and logically you're right but this is a weird time we are in when it comes to conferences and $.

It could just be UNC flexing for their fanbase. They don't want a situation where FSU and Clemson are showing strength while UNC is quiet.

As long as UNC BBall is UNC BBall what does having more money matter? They are not and will never be a FB power. They have a better chance at making the playoffs in the ACC. They are the power player of the ACC. Why give that all up when the money will only make things worse?

Long term, sure they will move on from the ACC. But they have no reason to want out before the end of the GOR IMO. They should be milking their days as king of the castle. And as long as they are a top BBall program, they can afford to wait it out.

It could just be UNC flexing for their fanbase. They don't want a situation where FSU and Clemson are showing strength while UNC is quiet.

As long as UNC BBall is UNC BBall what does having more money matter? They are not and will never be a FB power. They have a better chance at making the playoffs in the ACC. They are the power player of the ACC. Why give that all up when the money will only make things worse?

Long term, sure they will move on from the ACC. But they have no reason to want out before the end of the GOR IMO. They should be milking their days as king of the castle. And as long as they are a top BBall program, they can afford to wait it out.

Maybe. Fear of being "left out" plays a big part of major moves and it will be a boat load of cash they don't want to miss out on. Add to that, ego...and you might have some interesting decisions.

Again not for nothing but Clemson should also lose any committee and voting rights while this is happening. Sorry but not sorry either. They no longer have ACC interests in mind.
Clemson and FSU own the refs. Should hire entirely brand new crews and withhold payments and try and kill both programs.

Again not for nothing but Clemson should also lose any committee and voting rights while this is happening. Sorry but not sorry either. They no longer have ACC interests in mind.
I question if UNC has the best interest of the ACC in mind as well but they haven’t filed suit (yet). It seems the powers that run the conference and made the decisions, now regret their own decisions and want out.

Question for the legal beagles on this site.

Is there any validity that the remaining members could sue Clemson and fsu for damages as their lawsuits have diminished the value of the league especially given the look in that ESPN has in just a few years.

As long as UNC BBall is UNC BBall what does having more money matter?
Same reason every other school leaves. Money matters far more than championships in this era. Not to the fans, but to the admins that run the schools.

My dream conference is ACC leftovers + Mountain West for football and Big East everything else. I understand that isn't the most money but if that comes to fruition I honestly don't give AF what the details of it are. It will be awesome and our programs will succeed in both sports.

At this point, some clever school is going to change their mascot to The Fighting Lawyers.

My dream conference is ACC leftovers + Mountain West for football and Big East everything else. I understand that isn't the most money but if that comes to fruition I honestly don't give AF what the details of it are. It will be awesome and our programs will succeed in both sports.
If you want us to be Yukon in FB this is a great way to do it.

If it all falls apart...we best hope we are in some ACC/B12 Frankenconference.

If you read the Clemson lawsuit, they told the ACC they were interested in figuring out the financial impact of leaving the ACC and notified the ACC in early 2023 or over a year ago. Supposedly, they wanted to privately negotiate and not have a lawsuit. And, it also now appears that UNC is not happy with the ACC.

GORs seem pretty solid, but there are some key issues that need to be resolved like: Since ESPN has an option to extend the ACC TV contract past 2027 and they haven't yet, what does that mean for the GORs? Are the exit fees excessive as a court could say they are? Were the people who signed the TV contract authorized to commit their school to the contract? Does Swofford steering part of the media contract to Raycom where his son worked mean the ACC Conference did not fairly maximize the value of the media contract and not perform their fiduciary duty to the ACC schools?
The grant of rights are not an exit fee though. Those are separate and a much smaller number than what it would take to buy out the GOR.

It would be pretty funny if Clemson and FSU had to pay the full amount to get out of the conference, it gets distributed to the remaining members, then the ACC merges with one or two of the conferences that FSU and Clemson went to.
Especially if they take partial payout deals for several years to join the new conference. Then the ACC merger schools arrive as full members the next season.

The grant of rights are not an exit fee though. Those are separate and a much smaller number than what it would take to buy out the GOR.
STOP right there! You obviously have not been viewing all of the Big12 fan videos delineating how easy it is to break the GOR and how FSU -and now Clemson, too- have outsmarted century old law, the great legal minds that are at the various P5 school, conferences, private firms, and TV networks with the Toddler Tantrum defense. (Sarcasm off)

Other than that, you’re spot on. The exit fee s 3X the TV payout for the year the notice of exit is provided. The ACC holds this right. The GOR is the value of the TV rights remaining on the contract. ESPN holds the TV rights (mostly).

I kind of feel like both FSU and Clemson are doing this to show that they're the "big dogs" in the conference. They know that they cannot win this.