Dino needs to revamp his sideline | Syracusefan.com

Dino needs to revamp his sideline

Rocco

Watching you.
I cannot help but think of what this season could be like right now if he had quality in-game voices talking to him in key situations. I know, I know. It’s not ALL his fault, but there have been some incredibly elementary mistakes made by him in utterly crucial moments. It should’ve cost us the game again this past weekend.

We’re so close with the younger talent on this team. Dino just needs to surround himself with some way better voices on the sideline. And I love Goldberg (Edinger), but he doesn’t strike me as a football IQ guy. He is Babers’ shadow.

We’re right there. C’mon, we deserve nice things every once in a while.

We’re so close with the younger talent on this team. Dino just needs to surround himself with some way better voices on the sideline. And I love Goldberg (Edinger), but he doesn’t strike me as a football IQ guy. He is Babers’ shadow.
I wonder if replacing the letters on his knuckles with numbers might help with clock management.

Who knows, maybe next season he will have a better support system and be able to clean up the clock management issues and get a solid ST coach? Not out of the realm of possibility. I’d be right back on the Dino train.

This is what bothers me most about Dazzler, JR., even more than the horrible game management. To use his phrase, I am not sure he is the "captain of his own ship." He comes to SU with a vision. Spread offense, playing really fast, catalyzed by a strong-armed, accurate qb who can force opponents to defend the entire field. Six years in, his offense is predicated on the run and is the new slow with a running qb who throws a lot of wounded ducks with unpredictable accuracy. Shrader does seem to be the best choice for the available talent but this is far from the vision he was preaching when he instructed the fan base on faith. Does this guy know how to build a team? Can he recruit players who fit his system? Does he even have a system? Does he delegate without much oversight? When he has to hire the next offensive coordinator, will there be a new offense installed with the usual disappointment because the players don't fit the new system?

This is what bothers me most about Dazzler, JR., even more than the horrible game management. To use his phrase, I am not sure he is the "captain of his own ship." He comes to SU with a vision. Spread offense, playing really fast, catalyzed by a strong-armed, accurate qb who can force opponents to defend the entire field. Six years in, his offense is predicated on the run and is the new slow with a running qb who throws a lot of wounded ducks with unpredictable accuracy. Shrader does seem to be the best choice for the available talent but this is far from the vision he was preaching when he instructed the fan base on faith. Does this guy know how to build a team? Can he recruit players who fit his system? Does he even have a system? Does he delegate without much oversight? When he has to hire the next offensive coordinator, will there be a new offense installed with the usual disappointment because the players don't fit the new system?

why are you confusing Dino’s first offense with a Leach type. He’s always wanted to run the football and have balance. Always. Sure he would like a better passing game but it’s not air raid.

Last edited:
Bring in consultant Paul Pasqualoni! Why not.
That would get it down to one head scratching time out a half. I grew up watching his teams so I know,

In all seriousness I would love to see Paul back on the sidelines or in the booth in some capacity. He is a passionate, knowledgeable coach.

I agree in principle, but it might be preferable to receive such guidance from someone in the booth, though HCDB's headphone. The person in the booth has a much better view of the entire field, is distanced from the sideline emotions and distractions, and can consult folders in front of him containing relevant data (e.g., opponent trends in a given situation, etc.).

Bottom line is that if dino the leader is wise enough to boost his strengths and bolster his weaknesses with the right staff (let alone players) then this can be a very good next couple of years. Maybe it took him one moment in year 6 to realize family can be once a year at Thanksgiving and he needs to bring in some coaches who are singularly strong in the areas hcdb is not...whether special teams, clock management, recruiting, etc. I like dino but he needs to focus on what hes good at and turn the keys over for somethingd to others who arent buddies but specialized personnel he can oversee

I don’t think the coaches are “bad.” They just need better guidelines or process on sidelines. I coached basketball for years.
During timeouts I had a few rules. People on the court sit on the bench during timeout, no one else. I always talked first. No one else talked until I was done. When I was down talking I left the huddle and let assistants and players talk. Assistants would then convey to me the players thoughts when play resumed.
Nothing fancy but the process was the same every time. In crucial timeouts everyone knew the process and what was going to happen. Maximizing time and reducing distraction. I am not a genius just mean Dino needs to have a solid plan for end of half situations. Cannot waste time in such important situations.

why are you confusing Dino’s first offense with a Leach type. He’s always wanted to run the football and have balance. Always. Sure he would like a better passing game but it’s not air raid.
In addition...we are 6 years later...you have to evolve. Defenses have responded to the Baylor Offense, this isn't 2011.

You have to innovate. I'm no Football expert but bringing back some elements of a freeze option might be something to experiment with during bowl season if so lucky to win 6.

Last edited:
The little guy at Dino's hip is our S&C guy correct? I have never seen a coach have more in game interaction with a strength coach. Unless that gentleman is a time/game management wizard I think we need to put a different shadow on DB, but man that guy seems to have Dino's ear in key situations.

I can't do the long paragraphs. You're a better person than me.

The little guy at Dino's hip is our S&C guy correct? I have never seen a coach have more in game interaction with a strength coach. Unless that gentleman is a time/game management wizard I think we need to put a different shadow on DB, but man that guy seems to have Dino's ear in key situations.

It reminds of the trainer from season 3 of Veep.

original.png

I agree in principle, but it might be preferable to receive such guidance from someone in the booth, though HCDB's headphone. The person in the booth has a much better view of the entire field, is distanced from the sideline emotions and distractions, and can consult folders in front of him containing relevant data (e.g., opponent trends in a given situation, etc.).

Yes, I don't care where these "consultants" are necessarily (sideline or booth), but he is clearly in over his head making key decisions when the pressure is on.

It really is a strange relationship. The dude NEVER leaves Dino's side. He's even right next to him in all of the memorable post-game locker room speeches.

I'm still convinced he's a trained assassin.

Time management — help has to come from the booth to Dino’s head phones.
‘Special teams coach (primarily kicking game) — which assistant do you want to replace?
Issue on that TO at end of 1H, too many guys on field, confusion in personnel. Whose job was that? Or just one of those odd things that happen, but not a pattern?

we should also give credit for using TOs correctly.. yeah we wasted the TO at the end because a WR got confused.. But its pretty clear everyone was told what was happening but a coach screwed up in the end.. however he also should get credit for calling the TO on the other end that actually saved enough time with the missed FG to get us to the plays at the end of the half.. Same for the 2nd half.. He didnt wait and we got a minute to save the game.. We would have scored twice in each half getting the ball with 5 min or so to go and thats hard to do..

exactly. His 2 offenses at bowling green had 2 RBs over 750 yards (946&764) in 2014 and 2015 had a 1,200 yard rusher and 800+ yard rusher. Shoot in 2014 he had a 3rd back run for nearly 500.

So in 2 seasons they ran for 4000yds with 2 and 3 RBs.

I'm guessing we're going to start speeding things up to as guys get more comfortable in what theyr'e doing.

Last edited:
exactly. His 2 offenses at bowling green had 2 RBs over 750 yards (946&764) in 2014 and 2015 had a 1,200 yard rusher and 800+ yard rusher. Running for 1700 and 2000 with 2 RBs.

I'm guessing we're going to start speeding things up to as guys get more comfortable in what theyr'e doing.

Yeah I think for the first time in a couple years we are starting to get confidence again in all the guys on the field

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a sped up offense coming off of our bye week

we should also give credit for using TOs correctly.. yeah we wasted the TO at the end because a WR got confused.. But its pretty clear everyone was told what was happening but a coach screwed up in the end.. however he also should get credit for calling the TO on the other end that actually saved enough time with the missed FG to get us to the plays at the end of the half.. Same for the 2nd half.. He didnt wait and we got a minute to save the game.. We would have scored twice in each half getting the ball with 5 min or so to go and thats hard to do..
Although there was a play at the end of the game on the second to last drive with just a few minutes left. We just pulled out a first down AND ran the ball out of bounds on the play. The clock continued to tick down losing about another 30 seconds that we should have had. How does nobody see this and it not get fixed? That should not happen. I don't know how the announcers didn't notice it.

Yeah I think for the first time in a couple years we are starting to get confidence again in all the guys on the field

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a sped up offense coming off of our bye week
I don't know. I feel like Shrader and Tucker are exhausted half the time as we use them so much. Is less time between plays good for them? Do we want them to have more possessions or just more effective ones? I'm not sure that is a good idea with the offense right now.

I don't know. I feel like Shrader and Tucker are exhausted half the time as we use them so much. Is less time between plays good for them? Do we want them to have more possessions or just more effective ones? I'm not sure that is a good idea with the offense right now.

Very valid points for sure

Although there was a play at the end of the game on the second to last drive with just a few minutes left. We just pulled out a first down AND ran the ball out of bounds on the play. The clock continued to tick down losing about another 30 seconds that we should have had. How does nobody see this and it not get fixed? That should not happen. I don't know how the announcers didn't notice it.
the clock doesnt stop until under 2 min to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom