Dino needs to revamp his sideline | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino needs to revamp his sideline

It really is a strange relationship. The dude NEVER leaves Dino's side. He's even right next to him in all of the memorable post-game locker room speeches.

I'm still convinced he's a trained assassin.
Reminds me of Saban's water cup guy.

1635253736053.png

The little guy at Dino's hip is our S&C guy correct? I have never seen a coach have more in game interaction with a strength coach. Unless that gentleman is a time/game management wizard I think we need to put a different shadow on DB, but man that guy seems to have Dino's ear in key situations.

The little guy (?) isn't going anywhere, won't happen. He is Dino's consigliere, I think that after 6 years that is pretty evident.

I wonder if replacing the letters on his knuckles with numbers might help with clock management.
He writes "BELIEVER" on his knuckles. Yeah, I believe that this staff will royally screw something up each and every game we play!

Lets have multiple plays called and ready to go at the end of half and game. Why do we constantly waste seconds staring at the sideline. It’s crazy

the clock doesnt stop until under 2 min to go.
Below are some rules I found. If my memory serves I swear that this is not what happened. The clock continued to run with no stoppage what so ever.

• A player carrying the ball goes out of bounds. The clock stops in all 4 quarters and, for most of the game, it is restarted upon the referee spotting the ball and blowing the whistle to signal the resumption of play. In college football, the clock restarts upon the snap of the ball when the clock was stopped with less than 2:00 left in either half. The NFL rule is the same as in the college game for the first half of games, but the clock restarts upon the snap when there is under 5:00 left in the 4th quarter.
  • In college football, the clock is briefly stopped when a team earns a first down to allow the chain crew to reposition themselves. The NFL has no such stoppage.

The pace of play is fine. Focus on efficiency, limiting 3rd and long, improving the passing game and building towards more balance on offense and keeping the D fresh as well. No more 3 and outs at light speed.

We just had 550 yards of offense and 6 TDs in Blacksburg. Clemson was tough, but it's Clemson. Before that we had 515 yards of offense with 5 TDs against Wake.

We're improving each week, not sure why 100% of the fanbase doesn't accept what we've evolved into.

We just had 550 yards of offense and 6 TDs in Blacksburg. Clemson was tough, but it's Clemson. Before that we had 515 yards of offense with 5 TDs against Wake.

We're improving each week, not sure why 100% of the fanbase doesn't accept what we've evolved into.

If the yards were through the air, people would be posting that we need establish the running game! About how we are only averaging some small yards per carry etc. Whatever works and it's pretty apparent that Gilbert is much more comfortable having a QB that can run as well.

Lets have multiple plays called and ready to go at the end of half and game. Why do we constantly waste seconds staring at the sideline. It’s crazy
It's not that simple. This isn't high school football where plays are static.

They are checking the play and making calls that define everyone's responsibility based on what the defense shows. This often changes once or twice because the defense will check when the offense shows an adjustment and vice versa.

exactly. His 2 offenses at bowling green had 2 RBs over 750 yards (946&764) in 2014 and 2015 had a 1,200 yard rusher and 800+ yard rusher. Shoot in 2014 he had a 3rd back run for nearly 500.

So in 2 seasons they ran for 4000yds with 2 and 3 RBs.

I'm guessing we're going to start speeding things up to as guys get more comfortable in what theyr'e doing.

I saw some more speed out of the offense against VTech than the previous weeks. Still quit a bit looking over to the sidelines, but it seems the coaches have heeded Shrader's words and pushed the tempo some.

The little guy (?) isn't going anywhere, won't happen. He is Dino's consigliere, I think that after 6 years that is pretty evident.

i call him Dino’s body guard. It’s internet lore that he has anything to do with football strategy and tactical decisions. Other coaches would be besides themselves. Maybe he informs Dino of SU and the opponents timeouts. Otherwise he’s kinda sideline control type stuff.

In addition...we are 6 years later...you have to evolve. Defenses have responded to the Baylor Offense, this isn't 2011.

You have to innovate. I'm no Football expert but bringing back some elements of a freeze option might be something to experiment with during bowl season if so lucky to win 6.
see the Wake slo mo RPO as an example. Not saying we should adopt but it's an example of changing it up.

I agree in principle, but it might be preferable to receive such guidance from someone in the booth, though HCDB's headphone. The person in the booth has a much better view of the entire field, is distanced from the sideline emotions and distractions, and can consult folders in front of him containing relevant data (e.g., opponent trends in a given situation, etc.).
All of the good teams seem to do it, so it must work…

we should also give credit for using TOs correctly.. yeah we wasted the TO at the end because a WR got confused.. But its pretty clear everyone was told what was happening but a coach screwed up in the end.. however he also should get credit for calling the TO on the other end that actually saved enough time with the missed FG to get us to the plays at the end of the half.. Same for the 2nd half.. He didnt wait and we got a minute to save the game.. We would have scored twice in each half getting the ball with 5 min or so to go and thats hard to do..

Jackson running on the field just started a domino effect. Whoever screwed that up really made Dino look bad and I think he let them have it at halftime. Forced the other timeout, which removed the chance of running it, and then Szymt misses the chip shot.

Calling the original timeout with 8 seconds left was a good move. We don't have that personnel issue and run the ball in, there's really nothing to talk about. 4 for 4 on 4th down. Clock worked out in the 2nd half.

Of course, a TD at the end of the first changes all future events (think Doc Brown Back to the Future), and I'm really happy with how it all turned out.

Jackson running on the field just started a domino effect. Whoever screwed that up really made Dino look bad and I think he let them have it at halftime. Forced the other timeout, which removed the chance of running it, and then Szymt misses the chip shot.

Calling the original timeout with 8 seconds left was a good move. We don't have that personnel issue and run the ball in, there's really nothing to talk about. 4 for 4 on 4th down. Clock worked out in the 2nd half.

Of course, a TD at the end of the first changes all future events (think Doc Brown Back to the Future), and I'm really happy with how it all turned out.
we got several plays off.. one didnt count, one the WR and the QB ran different routes and we missed a kick. calling the first TO is fine.. we could also have run on the other play lost 3 yds had to call the TO and probably had to throw anyway

Below are some rules I found. If my memory serves I swear that this is not what happened. The clock continued to run with no stoppage what so ever.

• A player carrying the ball goes out of bounds. The clock stops in all 4 quarters and, for most of the game, it is restarted upon the referee spotting the ball and blowing the whistle to signal the resumption of play. In college football, the clock restarts upon the snap of the ball when the clock was stopped with less than 2:00 left in either half. The NFL rule is the same as in the college game for the first half of games, but the clock restarts upon the snap when there is under 5:00 left in the 4th quarter.
  • In college football, the clock is briefly stopped when a team earns a first down to allow the chain crew to reposition themselves. The NFL has no such stoppage.
I truly believe this is an underutilized point in the college game, that rule means after first downs the clock essentially stops and allows teams to line up, get into alignment, while calling a play, in a hurry up offense that hopefully they've practiced with down and distance. With our offense not being a quick strike, pass every play the clock stops more in college and we need it being a methodical offense needing 3 or 4 minutes to drive. We need to run plays for first downs to stop the clock only and minimize plays that run the clock without stopping and running. We've had many times where we are moving the ball and on 3rd or 4th and short feel the need to call the timeout or slow down our offense when we should be hurrying up to run a quick run with our great RB or 230lb QB to get the first down to stop the clock to then realign. In a sense a first down in college ball is a mini-TO that isn't thought that way.

The little guy at Dino's hip is our S&C guy correct? I have never seen a coach have more in game interaction with a strength coach. Unless that gentleman is a time/game management wizard I think we need to put a different shadow on DB, but man that guy seems to have Dino's ear in key situations.

Get the meat head out of Dino's ear.

I cannot help but think of what this season could be like right now if he had quality in-game voices talking to him in key situations. I know, I know. It’s not ALL his fault, but there have been some incredibly elementary mistakes made by him in utterly crucial moments. It should’ve cost us the game again this past weekend.

We’re so close with the younger talent on this team. Dino just needs to surround himself with some way better voices on the sideline. And I love Goldberg (Edinger), but he doesn’t strike me as a football IQ guy. He is Babers’ shadow.

We’re right there. C’mon, we deserve nice things every once in a while.
Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, I don't remember this being as much an issue his first 3 years. So wondering if there were people on staff during those years (Sean Lewis for the first two maybe) that helped with this stuff. Because it's literally like the keystone cops lately when we get inside 3-4 minutes towards the end of a half.

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, I don't remember this being as much an issue his first 3 years. So wondering if there were people on staff during those years (Sean Lewis for the first two maybe) that helped with this stuff. Because it's literally like the keystone cops lately when we get inside 3-4 minutes towards the end of a half.

I don't remember this number of puzzling actions by him early on. It's clearly exacerbated by the fact we had lost 3 straight by 3 points on seemingly unforced errors, but still.

In addition...we are 6 years later...you have to evolve. Defenses have responded to the Baylor Offense, this isn't 2011.

You have to innovate. I'm no Football expert but bringing back some elements of a freeze option might be something to experiment with during bowl season if so lucky to win 6.
Couldn't agree more.

I don't remember this number of puzzling actions by him early on. It's clearly exacerbated by the fact we had lost 3 straight by 3 points on seemingly unforced errors, but still.
I think early on the slate was clean and he didn't have to think as much about taking risks. It almost seems like now he's second guessing himself in critical situations, the go for 1, no go for 2, oops penalty lets go for one at the end of the WF game for example. Early on it would have been locked and loaded for 2 without even thinking about it.

All I'm asking for is if you're going to be aggressive and defined by that, then stick to it. That should be the same whether there are 30 minutes to go in the half or 1.

All I'm asking for is if you're going to be aggressive and defined by that, then stick to it. That should be the same whether there are 30 minutes to go in the half or 1.

Agreed. Syracuse U should ban punting and FGs.

4th down - full send. Every time.

The little guy at Dino's hip is our S&C guy correct?
I would not want to call him “The Little Guy” to his face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom