Dino will be on Packer and Durham 8:15 AM Wednesday | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino will be on Packer and Durham 8:15 AM Wednesday

QB room is better
RB room is better
OL room is better
TE - likely a bit worse without Hackett, but Elmore's flexibility returns
WR - worst case it's the same, but good chance it's better
Coaching room is better (I'm basing most of that just on having more time and direct contact)

Nowhere to go but up, we were the 3rd worst offense in 2020.

How high can we jump? Top 50? Last year that was 412 yards per game. We had 265. Can we increase by 150 yards per game?

Depends on how you look at it. Spring could also be a time to generate MORE interest in the program via player/coach features, etc...I look at it as the program helping itself as it humanizes the team. Hard not to like a team, win or lose, if you know the people behind it if that makes sense.
Yeah, normally. But last year and this year are not normal.

Depends on how you look at it. Spring could also be a time to generate MORE interest in the program via player/coach features, etc...I look at it as the program helping itself as it humanizes the team. Hard not to like a team, win or lose, if you know the people behind it if that makes sense.
I don't know that it really matters. To the casual fans the spring stuff is just white noise.

Last edited:
QB room is better
RB room is better
OL room is better
Coaching room is better (I'm basing most of that just on having more time and direct contact)

How high can we jump? Top 50? Last year that was 412 yards per game. We had 265. Can we increase by 150 yards per game?
Yep

The vast majority of people who would go to games or watch on TV don’t care about spring ball, etc. Just win: that’s it. The connections will come then.
If Dino wins, the fans will love him. He’s probably the most likable coach since Mac.

You're both right -- most people don't really care, but theoretically it's never a bad idea to promote the program at all times.

Realistically though, there simply isn't much to do when a team goes 1-10 and is in a region that isn't bonkers for the sport. My SU alumni buddies are diehards, but none of them are going to bother reading features this time of year for a team that was flat-out awful last season. If we were pre-season top 15 it'd be a different story.

Plus, COVID. There can't be the kind of access people might want in these times.

QB room is better
RB room is better
OL room is better

I've been thinking along similar lines.

If the offense isn't significantly better there's something fundamentally broken about what we're doing.

Here's the 2 words I took from this interview:

Justin Lamson

In talking about the quarterback room, Dino says

"I hope we get the good Tommy Devito, we'll see how Garrett Shrader does, we have Jacobian Morgan, and Dillon, and we have a very talented freshman in Lamson."

Interesting insert
Love the competition and love that Dino included Lamson. Tossing the freshman nuggets like that costs him little and keeps the skids greased.

I don't know that it really matters. To the casual fans the spring stuff is just white noise.
Each year, casual fans I know ask me what I hearing about the upcoming team. They dont want to go to the spring games or read articles. They just want tidbits. They basically want to know if the team is going to win this year and that's it.

Nobody likes to pay attention to or invest in losing teams.

Each year, casual fans I know ask me what I hearing about the upcoming team. They dont want to go to the spring games or read articles. They just want tidbits. They basically want to know if the team is going to win this year and that's it.

I hear you money. Then you start breaking down the o line position by position and their eyes glaze over. Been there. So I either have to call my brother to get a real discussion going or hop on here.

There is really no comparison between this years team and last years. This years team is stronger top to bottom in all positions with the exception of the DBs at the START of last season.
If we stay relatively healthy we should win 6-7 games and be competitive in all but 1 possibly 2 games.

Love the competition and love that Dino included Lamson. Tossing the freshman nuggets like that costs him little and keeps the skids greased.
That comment was much more than tossing nuggets. When you hear his comment in context with his talk about all other QB's, then the comment becomes a portend of things to come

QB room is better
RB room is better
OL room is better

I think the TE room is much better, and that’s not a slight on Hackett. The vibe I’m getting about Mang the Merciless is that he’s going to be a very good all around inline TE. I have a feeling Morris could be a difference maker as the move TE.

Add Benson and Mahar and it’s a group Marrone wishes he had.

Last edited:
I think the TE room is much better, and that’s not a slight on Hackett. The vibe I’m getting about Mang the Merciless is that he’s going to be a very good all around inline TE. I have a feeling Morris could be a difference maker as the move TE.

Add Benson and Mahar and it’s a group Marrone wishes he had.
You can't teach 6-7 and 264 lbs, if he's athletic you have a real difference maker.

You can't teach 6-7 and 264 lbs, if he's athletic you have a real difference maker.

Yeah - I can imagine the goal-line O with Mang on the line, Rhino in the backfield (and maybe also Bear or Josh Black as an extra battering ram), then the snap...

And Mang chips his dude, steps into the endzone, and QB1 fakes the handoff, and flips it up to him and nobody else can reach that high.
Touchdown!! :cool:

6-7 and athletic? Obviously not a member of the basketball team from what I've read. :rolleyes:

Nobody likes to pay attention to or invest in losing teams.

Missed my point. Doesn't even need to be about football. Showcase the kids, the coaches, etc...behind the scenes type stuff. Humanize the program. That would go a long way with fans of all levels. Would make it harder to boo/call for people's jobs during the season if they know the people behind the positions. Just my two cents - its all in the past now. Hopefully its a bit better in August to move some tickets.

Yeah - I can imagine the goal-line O with Mang on the line, Rhino in the backfield (and maybe also Bear or Josh Black as an extra battering ram), then the snap...

And Mang chips his dude, steps into the endzone, and QB1 fakes the handoff, and flips it up to him and nobody else can reach that high.
Touchdown!! :cool:
Oh Mang, it’s gonna be awesome