Dino will be on Packer and Durham 8:15 AM Wednesday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino will be on Packer and Durham 8:15 AM Wednesday

Great to hear -- and not a surprise.

At this point, DeVito is an experienced vet. Shrader started games at Mississippi State, playing against LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee. And Morgan started games last season, as a true frosh. And Markewicz has some impressive tools, as well.

Add in the HS recruit [Lamson], and we should have the best QB room we've had in a LONG time. Not that long ago, our backups were walk-ons. And with no disrespect to Mahoney / Welch, the foundation is much stronger / more competitive. An injury at QB won't sink our season as it might have in the past.

At this point, DeVito is an experienced vet. Shrader started games at Mississippi State, playing against LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee. And Morgan started games last season, as a true frosh. And Markewicz has some impressive tools, as well.

Add in the HS recruit [Lamson], and we should have the best QB room we've had in a LONG time. Not that long ago, our backups were walk-ons. And with no disrespect to Mahoney / Welch, an injury at QB won't sink our season.
Yeah, it's rare for us as a program to have 4 scholarship (not former walkon) QBs on the roster at one time, let alone 5.

Weirdly so.

Very telling when he talked about not handling the distractions well and how it affected the team. That explains how he's handled this spring with media coverage and gossip.

Yeah, I guess but there are going to be a ton of distractions during any football season. That's the nature of the beast. The spring is the perfect time to control the narrative and connect the fans with the program. We've gone dark.

let's face it, 1-10 is 1-10, but we really were up against it. no quality/experienced depth at certain positions(ie QB, OL), two new coordinators, one of which was trying to install a completely new system, playing and practicing(when they even could) in a state with the most strict Covid protocols of any state, definite off field distractions that were alluded to, it was a sh**show. no one likes the secrecy but more than anything no one likes 1-10. if this team comes out and gets to a bowl, we won't complain. at least not as much

Last edited:
let's face it, 1-10 is 1-10, but we really were up against it. no quality/experienced depth at certain positions(ie QB, OL), two new coordinators, one of which was trying to install a completely new system, playing and practicing(when they even could) in a state with the most strict Covid protocols of any state, definite off field distractions that were alluded to, it was a sh**show. no one likes the secrecy but more than anything no one likes 1-10. if this team comes out and gets to a bowl, we won't complain. at least not at much
Agree, I for one am in off the ledge and looking forward to a strong 2021 season.

Here's the 2 words I took from this interview:

Justin Lamson

In talking about the quarterback room, Dino says

"I hope we get the good Tommy Devito, we'll see how Garrett Shrader does, we have Jacobian Morgan, and Dillon, and we have a very talented freshman in Lamson."

Interesting insert

Dino is great in this type of interview, whether it's Packer & Durham or ESPN.
I wish there was something equivalent at the local level.

Add in the HS recruit [Lamson], and we should have the best QB room we've had in a LONG time. Not that long ago, our backups were walk-ons. And with no disrespect to Mahoney / Welch, the foundation is much stronger / more competitive. An injury at QB won't sink our season as it might have in the past.
And I'll add even Macphail looked like he had good tools in his highlight videos. WR's should be getting better with more consistently well thrown balls coming there way in the practice setting. Instead of some misfires from Summers. Also helps everybody when you've got good QB options to run the scout team offense.

Yeah, I guess but there are going to be a ton of distractions during any football season. That's the nature of the beast. The spring is the perfect time to control the narrative and connect the fans with the program. We've gone dark.
Every coach in America would prefer less distractions. As a fan we dont like it. Of course its good to connect with fans during this time. As a coach, its what you want. Dino is no different than other coaches. They all try to keep the team tight and away from outside distractions to the best of their abilities. Again, Im not saying I like it. As a fan, it sucks. As a coach you are going to take advantage of anything that allows you to keep your team as focused and connected as possible. I dont think this is going to be a every year thing.

Every coach in America would prefer less distractions. As a fan we dont like it. Of course its good to connect with fans during this time. As a coach, its what you want. Dino is no different than other coaches. They all try to keep the team tight and away from outside distractions to the best of their abilities. Again, Im not saying I like it. As a fan, it sucks. As a coach you are going to take advantage of anything that allows you to keep your team as focused and connected as possible. I dont think this is going to be a every year thing.

Can't disagree with anything you said. And obviously my comments are based in frustration with wanting more like pretty much every other team in America seems to be doing. Can't get enough Cuse Football!

Everytime I think of his father, I think of a sign that would be hung in the Dome whenever he called a game.
When he called a Sunday game, he would go to Mass at St. Matthew's in East Syracuse prior to the game. I am guessing he stayed at a Carrier Circle hotel.

The vast majority of people who would go to games or watch on TV don’t care about spring ball, etc. Just win: that’s it. The connections will come then.
If Dino wins, the fans will love him. He’s probably the most likable coach since Mac.

The vast majority of people who would go to games or watch on TV don’t care about spring ball, etc. Just win: that’s it. The connections will come then.

Depends on how you look at it. Spring could also be a time to generate MORE interest in the program via player/coach features, etc...I look at it as the program helping itself as it humanizes the team. Hard not to like a team, win or lose, if you know the people behind it if that makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom