Dinoball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dinoball

You're taking a shot at Wax?!

Come on, that call was utter nonsense, and by all accounts he's a tremendous leader.

Shameful.
Bowl game last year. Stuck his hand in the helmet of the player he tackled, and mushed his face. 15 yarder. Same thing this year following a play that resulted in 15. Throw in the bump on the sidelines that cost 15. Was it a ticky tack call? Perhaps. But why even give the ref a chance? That isn't smart, and isn't leadership. Wax has had more than just that little bump on the sidelines.

If we go on a losing run in the ACC, Babers record could look similar to Shafer's... .391 vs .378 but whatever.

Unfortunately it seems as if Dino is now consistently kinda ok and never occasionally great.

I don't know, even "kinda ok" can at least be debated. I mean, other than Dungey's final season, Babers' peer/ACC record has been quite putrid. Last year it was .500 at 4-4, so yeah, that's okay/mediocre, but other than that one, and the aforementioned Dungey one, it's been quite subpar/below .500. For me, this is more a measuring stick (than beating up on weak sister type non P5 OOC opponents) especially when considering (sans Clemson) the ACC has been generally a pretty mediocre type conference at best.

We'll have to see how this season plays out of course, but at currently 0-1, and projected to be considerable dawgs in the next two on the road, 0-3 is staring Babers square in the face. He'll have his work cut for him, again, just to right the ship at that okay/mediocre .500 conference/peer record.

Lifetime fan who's watched a lot of bad football since being a STH in '98. Ive struggled through the later Coach P years, into GRob, into Marrone (my favorite coach since Grob), into Coach Shaf (I really liked him too and wanted him to succeed so bad) and into our present coach Dino. Going into this season I have been the least excited for any season in my lifetime. All of you state the week in, week out issues we have under Dino very well above. As a lifelong fan I have reached a fork in the road as it relates to my season tickets (I purchase 3 each year). Do I continue...to torture myself with the weekly predictable "Dinoball" and trek up to The Dome for the same old, same old? Or do I finally just give in and not renew as I just cant justify continually watching bad football in person with the awful in game experience of The Dome? I can do that from home and at least have halfway decent food and if I'm frustrated, as I usually am under Dino, turn off the game. Yes, you can question me on my "fandom" for wanting to finally throw in the towel as a STH. But I haven't missed many games since '98. I can count the games on one hand that I have missed. Its a lot of bad football for the most part. I just cant seem to justify renewing anymore, IF, this season goes south, as Dino's record indicates, and he gets an extension.

I want someone like Robert Salah. Super calm until it’s time not to be. The refs hosed the jets on 2 awful calls and a no call on a holding call and he lit them up. The players see that. They respond to that. When they see the coach do nothing, I can tell you from playing division 1 sports that when my coach did that, I spoke up and it wasn’t friendly. Leadership and “Ohana” starts at the top and being non vocal or emotional isn’t the way to go about it

Bowl game last year. Stuck his hand in the helmet of the player he tackled, and mushed his face. 15 yarder. Same thing this year following a play that resulted in 15. Throw in the bump on the sidelines that cost 15. Was it a ticky tack call? Perhaps. But why even give the ref a chance? That isn't smart, and isn't leadership. Wax has had more than just that little bump on the sidelines.

That's three calls in two years. It is still not enough to seriously question his leadership; if he was Suh getting an egregious personal foul every game, I'd agree. But good players are going to tow the line and go over it once in a while; I looked up Ronnie Lott (who was widely regarded as a great leader) and saw several similar personal fouls in his career.

I don't care much about MOST personal fouls (or targeting calls) - the offsides/false starts/delay of game/holding calls drive me nuts. That probably goes back to having coaches who would lose their minds over totally preventable calls but didn't care as much about "aggression" penalties - which a lot of personal fouls are. (This does not include a guy getting his butt handed to him and lashing out after a play is over, those personal fouls irritate me. That's not the calls Wax has gotten).

I want someone like Robert Salah. Super calm until it’s time not to be. The refs hosed the jets on 2 awful calls and a no call on a holding call and he lit them up. The players see that. They respond to that. When they see the coach do nothing, I can tell you from playing division 1 sports that when my coach did that, I spoke up and it wasn’t friendly. Leadership and “Ohana” starts at the top and being non vocal or emotional isn’t the way to go about it
If he was a hot head and Syracuse was losing, he would be viewed as an embarrassment. He isn't, never has been, and people think that is why the team lost. What makes any of you think Dino being hot head would help? He doesn't need to throw his headset on the ground and kick it across the field for the players to know he is pissed. It also doesn't make a difference to the refs, they aren't going to start changing calls just because a coach is screaming at them. If it did then HCSS would've been the most successful coach in history.

Lifetime fan who's watched a lot of bad football since being a STH in '98. Ive struggled through the later Coach P years, into GRob, into Marrone (my favorite coach since Grob), into Coach Shaf (I really liked him too and wanted him to succeed so bad) and into our present coach Dino. Going into this season I have been the least excited for any season in my lifetime. All of you state the week in, week out issues we have under Dino very well above. As a lifelong fan I have reached a fork in the road as it relates to my season tickets (I purchase 3 each year). Do I continue...to torture myself with the weekly predictable "Dinoball" and trek up to The Dome for the same old, same old? Or do I finally just give in and not renew as I just cant justify continually watching bad football in person with the awful in game experience of The Dome? I can do that from home and at least have halfway decent food and if I'm frustrated, as I usually am under Dino, turn off the game. Yes, you can question me on my "fandom" for wanting to finally throw in the towel as a STH. But I haven't missed many games since '98. I can count the games on one hand that I have missed. Its a lot of bad football for the most part. I just cant seem to justify renewing anymore, IF, this season goes south, as Dino's record indicates, and he gets an extension.
So Dino, who has been relatively competitive in most games every year (excluding covid) is the straw that broke the STH's back, not 4 years of Akron level embarrassments or the 8 straight losses to follow a coach calling out the media and fans for not being happy enough about 3-0? ITs Dino that is the last straw, off a bowl season no less? Not saying you're wrong to be upset, just surprised the better part of 2 decades of incompetence didn't do it for you.

If he was a hot head and Syracuse was losing, he would be viewed as an embarrassment. He isn't, never has been, and people think that is why the team lost. What makes any of you think Dino being hot head would help? He doesn't need to throw his headset on the ground and kick it across the field for the players to know he is pissed. It also doesn't make a difference to the refs, they aren't going to start changing calls just because a coach is screaming at them. If it did then HCSS would've been the most successful coach in history.

I remember Tiki Barber saying Eli Manning was too calm and quiet to be a successful QB in NY. Then he won a Super Bowl and magically that demeanor got spun as poise and great leadership.

Reality is if you win, whatever you are doing will be spun as great personality traits. If you are losing, those same traits are character defects. Occasionally there's an element of truth in it - I can't see ever thinking a head coach reading the Little Engine That Could in a press conference was great leadership - but the vast majority of the time its nonsense where people have searched for a way to rationalize not liking the guy who is losing games.

HCSS did land a lot of the players that gave Dino his one good season and he got to light up a cigar in the dome.

Not saying that I wanted HCSS's tenure to continue here by any means.

Do it we’ve done the last 20 years and make the tailgate hanging with friends and family as much a reason for going as the game itself.

And of course, doing a few shots before you go in, is always helpful!

I don’t see how anyone can classify the last couple of years as “bad football.”

So Dino, who has been relatively competitive in most games every year (excluding covid) is the straw that broke the STH's back, not 4 years of Akron level embarrassments or the 8 straight losses to follow a coach calling out the media and fans for not being happy enough about 3-0? ITs Dino that is the last straw, off a bowl season no less? Not saying you're wrong to be upset, just surprised the better part of 2 decades of incompetence didn't do it for you.
All I'm saying my friend is that I'm tired. Dino's coaching and record, and I will say the AD and athletic department, is the icing on the cake of a cumulative effect of bad football. I'm at a crossroads and unsure where to go. Dino has a track record of not winning many conference football games in November. That is a fact. Im hoping this November is different. But if it isn't, and Dino gets extended, then I think I finally let it go and move on. There are a lot of STH, long time too, that think like me. Its no coincidence that the Dome isn't full or nearly full. Many fans are moving on.

I wasn’t terribly excited about this season either which is odd because we have so many good players and coaches. I watched the first half of the Clemson game and had work obligations for the second half that prevented me watching it live … I didn’t bother watching the second half later. The first half just made me tired to watch. I’ve seen so many games under Dinoball rules where we’ve ruined our already slim chances at victory with undisciplined play, bad play calling or time management or poor execution.

It’s almost worse to watch a game when you have talented players who just aren’t setup to be as successful as they could be.

HCSS did land a lot of the players that gave Dino his one good season and he got to light up a cigar in the dome.

Not saying that I wanted HCSS's tenure to continue here by any means.
3 years later, meaning they developed under Dino and his staff. If theres anyone to point to as the reason syracuse was sucessful in 2018, its Sean Lewis with lynch taking advantage.

All I'm saying my friend is that I'm tired. Dino's coaching and record, and I will say the AD and athletic department, is the icing on the cake of a cumulative effect of bad football. I'm at a crossroads and unsure where to go. Dino has a track record of not winning many conference football games in November. That is a fact. Im hoping this November is different. But if it isn't, and Dino gets extended, then I think I finally let it go and move on. There are a lot of STH, long time too, that think like me. Its no coincidence that the Dome isn't full or nearly full. Many fans are moving on.
I understand that. As for his extension, the only way he gets one is if his November is successful so it appears your choice will be made for you.
I wasn’t terribly excited about this season either which is odd because we have so many good players and coaches. I watched the first half of the Clemson game and had work obligations for the second half that prevented me watching it live … I didn’t bother watching the second half later. The first half just made me tired to watch. I’ve seen so many games under Dinoball rules where we’ve ruined our already slim chances at victory with undisciplined play, bad play calling or time management or poor execution.

It’s almost worse to watch a game when you have talented players who just aren’t setup to be as successful as they could be.
I cant put the Clemson loss entirely at Dino's feet. The two fumbles and the interception directly into the arms of a 230lb linebacker are not on him. The extended time it took to take the kick and the pre snap penalties are certainly an issue, but they are largely secondary in this game.

I’m not asking for a hot head. I’m asking for emotion at the right time. Dabo got 2 calls looked at by refs simply bc he showed some emotion at the right time. There’s a time and place for it. And for him to be emotionless the entire game when there were some clear times to question the refs and get his team fired up, was a mistake and missed opportunity. He neverrrrr shows emotion on sidelines and that bothers me

I’m not asking for a hot head. I’m asking for emotion at the right time. Dabo got 2 calls looked at by refs simply bc he showed some emotion at the right time. There’s a time and place for it. And for him to be emotionless the entire game when there were some clear times to question the refs and get his team fired up, was a mistake and missed opportunity. He neverrrrr shows emotion on sidelines and that bothers me

This is nonsense. Are you watching the game or are you watching Coach Babers? If you’re watching the coach and not the game then you’re missing the good stuff. If you’re watching the game and not the coach then how can you say he “neverrrr shows emotion”? Or that he is “emotionless the entire game”. If you’re watching the game on television then you can’t see all the times the coach is talking to the refs.

33D2F57B-B272-4FB9-BCAC-866631A2D6DE.jpeg

He doesn’t look emotionless to me.

Do you understand the mechanics of challenging a call in college football? To challenge a call the coach must call a timeout. The refs will review the call during the timeout. If the call is overturned, the coach gets his timeout back. If the call is upheld, the coach loses the timeout. Each team gets one of these challenges a game. In a recent press conference Dino explained how he often asks the refs if a play is being reviewed (independently and without the need for the coach to call a time out) and often the refs tell him something to the affect that “the play is being looked at, don’t waste your timeout”. Do you really think a coach ranting and racing up and down the sidelines the way Schiano did in 2021 is going to change a call?

Then there’s the elephant in the room that doesn’t get discussed regarding these situations. Dino cannot act like some other coaches do. A large part of our society isn’t ready to see a black coach show his emotions on the sidelines without describing that coach as “out of control”. Dino is anything but out of control.

Every week at every level of football referees make some terrible calls and some horrendous “no calls”. It sure as heck can be frustrating, but it’s part of the human element of the game.

People use to complain about Marrone being to stoic on the sideline all the time as well. It's another one of those things that fan forums were invented to complain about. Coaches/ people are who they are.

You're taking a shot at Wax?!

Come on, that call was utter nonsense, and by all accounts he's a tremendous leader.

Shameful.

I don't think the call was nonsense, but I think that guy's characterization of him is.

He deserved a penalty for it, I doubt it happens again with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom