Dino's Game 11 Press Conference | Ga Tech | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 11 Press Conference | Ga Tech

This was my thought after the Pitt game. Why on earth couldn't we have run this wildcat offense with Shrader and CDRW earlier in the year? They at least present the threat of a pass downfield.

Good question...

Let's see how it performs against a team that has had a week to prepare for it, and it could be a better question.

Good question...

Let's see how it performs against a team that has had a week to prepare for it, and it could be a better question.
Yeah

If we go out and run for 300+ against Tech and Wake on this offense, then maybe, maybe we have something

Or is it more likely running that type of offense late in the year when other middling teams are spent with depth issues, plays to ones advantage

Yeah

If we go out and run for 300+ against Tech and Wake on this offense, then maybe, maybe we have something

Or is it more likely running that type of offense late in the year when other middling teams are spent with depth issues, plays to ones advantage
No team builds a defense nowadays stop a power running team as there are no power running teams. They build defenses to stop quick paced spread out passing offenses. The defensive players are lighter and leaner so they can try to get at the QB or lb's and even linemen drop into coverage. You put a 350lb average pass blocking o-line with a big HB/FB and a 240 wildcat QB on them and they would get owned. Most of the linebackers now are smaller than that.

so run the offense we want vs the bad teams and then the offense like this vs the avg teams, and then something else against the teams that beat us up..

Based on the success that we had last week i fully expect and hope that SU if Dino is retained makes this part of the overall O strategy going forward

Based on the success that we had last week i fully expect and hope that SU if Dino is retained makes this part of the overall O strategy going forward

I wouldn't be opposed to it but that is a hard thing to pull off.

You need a big bodied QB who is willing to not pass the ball often. That pretty much takes away HS QBs. They will not have given up on being passers yet even if they cannot throw. And how many Villari's are there in the portal?

We cannot get WRs here now. It will be impossible with that system. But then again you don't really need too many WRs. You can have your 5 starting OL and the young OL guys can be your TEs. With the QB and two RBs, you only have one token WR.

GA Tech went away from similar because it was hard to recruit to. I suppose at SU any system is hard to recruit to. We would need a few big bodied running QBs, a few RBs, a few RB/Slot guys (X backs?), and a few token deep threat WRs.

If we went all in on this I would not be opposed to Dino being the HC going forward. But if we are to run a normal O and are stuck with CDRW as QB next year, shoot me now.

Va Tech needs one more game to clinch a bowl. Syracuse will have lost games to five bowl teams during that stretch if they beat NC State. As bad as the ACC was this year, they will have nine bowl teams at minimum after Saturday.

Now, that sentence is a classic example of an oxymoron. :)

I wouldn't be opposed to it but that is a hard thing to pull off.

You need a big bodied QB who is willing to not pass the ball often. That pretty much takes away HS QBs. They will not have given up on being passers yet even if they cannot throw. And how many Villari's are there in the portal?

We cannot get WRs here now. It will be impossible with that system. But then again you don't really need too many WRs. You can have your 5 starting OL and the young OL guys can be your TEs. With the QB and two RBs, you only have one token WR.

GA Tech went away from similar because it was hard to recruit to. I suppose at SU any system is hard to recruit to. We would need a few big bodied running QBs, a few RBs, a few RB/Slot guys (X backs?), and a few token deep threat WRs.

If we went all in on this I would not be opposed to Dino being the HC going forward. But if we are to run a normal O and are stuck with CDRW as QB next year, shoot me now.
There are endless QB's in high school who run the ball more than pass, some of them try at the FBS level and usually get converted to another position and many more play FCS ball. I think your QB;s should play TE/FB as they are usually really great athletes. There is no call for giant pass blocking o-linemen who can't pass block, we get all we want of them. Big running backs aren't in many of the passing offenses either. A top WR and a couple of fast wing backs is all they would have to compete for. GTech is kind of a good example except they ran the option which has more or less been outlawed. The difference now is the NIL. While all the big programs spend like crazy for skill players and pass blocking o-line, Syracuse would use that for defense. If Syracuse wants to try to run a passing offense, they will never get those players. And, Dino is the only coach that can do this because enough people support him and want him to stay so he has the latitude to do it. If he were to be released, there would be zero support to hire a coach who would employ such a program. Dino tried with Devito, he went back to Shrader, he just needs to go all in with it.

I’m sorry… you guys want SU to implement an offense where we run 80% of the time?

Who, pray tell, is going to come to our fine school to play in that system?
It starts with the o-line. All the o-linemen needed for this type of offense don't get FBS offers because they can't "dance". They can pick up a car but they have little lateral ability to pass block fast defensive players.

This run first offense may just lend to what we are getting now in the recruiting world. We run the 3-3-5 because we can't recruit big athletic D lineman. On offense, we aren't getting the quality WRs or OL. Switch to a run first offense and maybe you attract more OL recruits who want to play in that offense and it diminishes the importance of the WRs in this scheme. Is it boring to watch? A little but if it produces more wins, I'm sure we'd all sign up for it.

There are MAC schools that get quality WR and OL. OR at the very least, they get equivalent WR and OL and develop them into more. Either way, let's not pretend its impossible to do here.

wins out? syracuse is not in a position to fire a coach that makes back to back bowl games. that isnt happening. he wins 1 and he is safe.

people should also give a bit more credit to that 5 game gauntlet we went through. it was absurd. and to end it at va tech in blacksburg on a thursday night, sheesh.
'squeeze, squeeze, mind at ease'.

I'm taking a walk. Dino's press agent wins the internet today. I'm stumped and, frankly, speechless.

At least if we go to a power run attack full time the games will be much shorter. Assuming we can stay within one score.

You may be onto something here ...

wins out? syracuse is not in a position to fire a coach that makes back to back bowl games. that isnt happening. he wins 1 and he is safe.

people should also give a bit more credit to that 5 game gauntlet we went through. it was absurd. and to end it at va tech in blacksburg on a thursday night, sheesh.
Still doesn’t change the fact that he needs to have a serviceable offensive line it’s been our enigma for years. He’s also tenured enough to have a qb on the roster that can throw a forward pass that isn’t named schrader.

I think there is zero chance SU makes this Wildcat/TE Runner offense permanent going forward. But I have no problem if it gets us to a bowl or better. Yes it’s a gimmick. But, you play the hand you’re dealt.

I expect some new wrinkles this week. Just win, baby!

I think there is zero chance SU makes this Wildcat/TE Runner offense permanent going forward. But I have no problem if it gets us to a bowl or better. Yes it’s a gimmick. But, you play the hand you’re dealt.

I expect some new wrinkles this week. Just win, baby!

Like Ed Harris said in Apollo 13, "What do we have that still works?"

I’m sorry… you guys want SU to implement an offense where we run 80% of the time?

Who, pray tell, is going to come to our fine school to play in that system?
Snap a 5 game losing streak against a 2-7 team and people lose their minds.

It was fun and may be fun against the next two mediocre teams we face, but as a long term strategy, will it really work?..

And the new rationale to extend DB...

There's a reason why the Diamond Ferri moment was like 20 years ago. These are great moments to be enjoyed, not strategies.

It is in my tortured orange tinted glasses. Say what you want that performance last week atleast has me excited and engaged for gtech. I was all but tapped out.
I'm just glad that basketball season has started. I'm tapping out for football until there's a new coach. I'll still bleed Orange, just going to put football on the back burner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom