Dino's Game 7 Press Conference for Clemson: 11 AM | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 7 Press Conference for Clemson: 11 AM

The whistle blew because the play clock hit zero. That means they were out of time. If they were in position it only take a half of second to snap the ball. What don't you get?
Follow the bouncing ball... they were lined up...the ball wasn't snapped...penalty. Dino said they were 2 seconds away from getting it snapped...where was he wrong about that statement? You said you rewatched and we weren't 2 seconds away...how the heck would you know that? Simple question I would think.

I can tell you - having been on headset for 100s of college games back in my day - these kinds of things usually would start being talked about once we crossed the 50. You would be talking about whether or not we should go for two, do we have a good two point play, will we win in OT, etc...

It blew my mind to see a delay of game in this situation. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it. It was an egregious mistake. With regards to Dino throwing the blame on the players - Hey Dino, even if you weren't sure at that moment, what's the harm of putting 2 fingers in the air to keep the offense on the field so you don't have to worry about them not having urgency? Mind blowing stuff.
^^This^^ I never coached at the level you have. But, I've coached enough to know that some of his explanations for why X happened are pure BS. And I like Dino! Just wish he was better at in-game decision making, or at least wouldn't use rationalizations, 3D chess, or cat blaming when things didn't work out.

Follow the bouncing ball... they were lined up...the ball wasn't snapped...penalty. Dino said they were 2 seconds away from getting it snapped...where was he wrong about that statement? You said you rewatched and we weren't 2 seconds away...how the heck would you know that? Simple question I would think.
Where does he come up with two seconds? If they were lined up why did they snap the ball? It doesn't matter if it was 1 second or 15 seconds he blew as the head coach of getting the play in. Don't put any blame on you players. It's all on the coaching staff at that point.

Whether it's a definite go or not, it's something you discuss during the final TO on that drive. Everyone on the same page and aware of possibilities. Whole thing is reminiscent of the dreadful disaster in last years Louisville game.

I watched the 4th quarter this morning. Babers should have told the team they were going for two points when he took the timeout with 27 seconds left in the game.

Shrader came out of the timeout and completed the pass to Tucker for the TD. If the players had been told they were going for a two point conversion they would have gone right back to the line of scrimmage.

Instead the players were celebrating (as expected) and the clock continued to wind down as they went to the sidelines then back in the field.

It was simply poor coaching not to tell the players during the TO with 27 seconds left in the game that they were going for 2 points along with the play they were running. There is no way Dino did not know if he was going for 2 with 27 seconds left in the game.
I’m a little surprised more people aren’t harping on this.

Being indecisive and unorganized after driving 90 yards in 90 seconds is still bad but the fact that we had a timeout THE PLAY BEFORE THE TUDDY makes the disorganization mind bending

He calls out the players but he had a couple minutes to prepare them 30 seconds before it happened

Where does he come up with two seconds? If they were lined up why did they snap the ball? It doesn't matter if it was 1 second or 15 seconds he blew as the head coach of getting the play in. Don't put any blame on you players. It's all on the coaching staff at that point.
He knows they were two seconds away because he could talk to GS after the game. That’s absurdly simple.

I’m a little surprised more people aren’t harping on this.

Being indecisive and unorganized after driving 90 yards in 90 seconds is still bad but the fact that we had a timeout THE PLAY BEFORE THE TUDDY makes the disorganization mind bending

He calls out the players but he had a couple minutes to prepare them 30 seconds before it happened
Just curious, maybe I missed it, I heard him say they had new Oline players and they had to communicate to them which delayed the play but I did not hear him “call out anyone” what did he say that was throwing a player under the bus ?

Dino is to blame he obviously didn't tell his QB because Garrett would have gone under center and called the play, as he did earlier in the game on short yardage. I said before, Dino has a habit of bending the truth.

Some of the stuff is kind of damned if you do/don’t. He’s made calls that were different from weeks before that ultimately didn’t pan out either way.

If they had, we’d have won 1/2 more games.

But such is the life of a college football coach. I don’t doubt that he understands situations, I’m starting to doubt that he’s organized/prepared enough to capitalize on those decisions though.

Excellent point.

1. I didn’t want to go for 2 because Shrader was absolutely gassed and so was the OL. We had zero timeouts.

2. If we did in fact go for two and lose, we’d bitch about that.

3. Only call I really have an issue with is not going for it on 4th and 2 and missing the FG. Then again, if he makes it we win the game.

4. Accepting the penally is a bit of a head scratcher. But if Wake goes for it (which I think they would have) and gets it, do we birch about not accepting the penalty?

All of these calls are questionable other than the fg at the end of the half that was a ball busting call on his part. Really very little upside lots of down. That call lost the game

1. I didn’t want to go for 2 because Shrader was absolutely gassed and so was the OL. We had zero timeouts.

3. Only call I really have an issue with is not going for it on 4th and 2 and missing the FG. Then again, if he makes it we win the game.

4. Accepting the penally is a bit of a head scratcher. But if Wake goes for it (which I think they would have) and gets it, do we birch about not accepting the penalty?
On 4, I was more upset with the 3 man rush and dropping all linebackers into some kind of 8 man deep zone. When we gave him lots of time he killed us. I watched Va Tech use the he same prevent type D on third and long against ND , same result. I hate the 3 man rush .

On 4, I was more upset with the 3 man rush and dropping all linebackers into some kind of 8 man deep zone. When we gave him lots of time he killed us. I watched Va Tech use the he same prevent type D on third and long against ND , same result. I hate the 3 man rush .
That was my biggest issue. If they were just going to play soft and basically give Wake the 10 yards back (with the chance of them getting more) why not just accept the penalty?

It's that Ol' Pree-vent defense that doesn't prep-vent anything.

Watching the 2 point conversion again. The play clock starts counting down pretty early (no home cooking by our guy that's for sure.) What's weird here is that I hear a lot of whistles going off but no idea what they're for and the play clock doesn't stop moving.

The female announcer says the offense ran back on the field somewhere around 20 seconds left on the play clock. Shrader comes into the frame and is nonchalantly walking towards center with about 11 seconds left on the play clock and is moving slower than a turtle. It's clear to me he has no idea the how much time is left on the play clock and everyone is ready to go except him. You have to wonder why he isn't hustling up to the line. There is clearly no sense of urgency here.

Last edited:
Just curious, maybe I missed it, I heard him say they had new Oline players and they had to communicate to them which delayed the play but I did not hear him “call out anyone” what did he say that was throwing a player under the bus ?
He mentioned on a few occasions the players lacked urgency. Didn’t name individually but certainly put the onus on them.

Now if those players were told 60 seconds before the score that they need to *be ready* to go for two then I bet they would have been. They all lollygaged over to the sideline which to me means it didn’t even occurs to them there may be another play

I didn't want to go for 2. If it didn't work people would either bitch about the decision or bitch about the playcall. Once you know you need to hurry to get the play off, don't do it. Richt said we should have been ready when we started the drive, but that's the last thing I'd want the players to think about when they have to go 94 yards in 2 minutes. Maybe after the timeout when we were on their 28 you plant the seed, but he still may not have decided.

I didn't like the 4th and 2 either, our kicker just hasn't been that reliable this year and the way we were running the ball... Less than 40 yard FG where points are more guaranteed, by all means.

If they go for it 4th and 13 and make it, sometimes you have to tip your cap and yell at your defense. But yes, I'm sure many people would have exploded at that point that we didn't make it 3rd and 23.

The call I have the biggest problem with is the 2 point conversion in the 3rd to try to take a 3 point lead. Too much football left. I agree with anyone whose philosophy is wait until the 4th quarter to pull out the chart.

In the press conference after the game, Dino stated there was a "lack of urgency" by the players to get lined up for the 2 pt conversion...

I mentioned it elsewhere, but the most baffling to me was when Dino didn't use his timeouts on defense when WF had 1st and goal with 2:40 left in the 1st half and then having to waste one on Offense before we even run a play. Unlike the other decisions, there was no possible upside to not calling the timeouts on defense and we again looked unprepared by having to waste a timeout after the offense should have had plenty of time to talk about the plan before they stepped on the field. Instead of having 2+ minutes to form a scoring drive, we had to rush and waste a 43 second drive, which moved down the field, but ran out of time.

Last edited:
Watching the 2 point conversion again. The play clock starts counting down pretty early (no home cooking by our guy that's for sure.) What's weird here is that I hear a lot of whistles going off but no idea what they're for and the play clock doesn't stop moving.

The female announcer says the offense ran back on the field somewhere around 20 seconds left on the play clock. Shrader comes into the frame and is nonchalantly walking towards center with about 11 seconds left on the play clock and is moving slower than a turtle. It's clear to me he has no idea the how much time is left on the play clock and everyone is ready to go except him. You have to wonder why he isn't hustling up to the line. There is clearly no sense of urgency here.

That's offensive to turtles.

It's a 40 second play clock. Usually plenty of time.

Watch the replay. Did you notice that Tucker was on the sidelines for the conv (unless he ran back on late and the camera didn't catch him).

Were we really gonna run the most important play of the season without Tuck?

That's offensive to turtles.

It's a 40 second play clock. Usually plenty of time.

Watch the replay. Did you notice that Tucker was on the sidelines for the conv (unless he ran back on late and the camera didn't catch him).

Were we really gonna run the most important play of the season without Tuck?
Well sure…remember we were running Lutz the drive before (rolling eyes emoji)

In the press conference after the game, Dino stated there was a "lack of urgency" by the players to get lined up for the 2 pt conversion...
Lack of urgency means lack of preparedness which is on the coaches. I mentioned it before the season kicked off how disturbed I was to here how disorganized and dysfunctional practices are/were. I was told not to worry. This is why i did. The little things are what gets missed…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom