Dino's Game 7 Press Conference for Clemson: 11 AM | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 7 Press Conference for Clemson: 11 AM

That's offensive to turtles.

It's a 40 second play clock. Usually plenty of time.

Watch the replay. Did you notice that Tucker was on the sidelines for the conv (unless he ran back on late and the camera didn't catch him).

Were we really gonna run the most important play of the season without Tuck?

Like I said. With 20 seconds left on the play clock, the announcer says "and the offense will head back onto the field." That's plenty of time to run a play. The OL is in position when Shrader comes waltzing in behind them with 11 seconds on the clock. Why is the OL ready and Shrader not ready to take a snap? He's not looking to the sideline for the play either. The entire team is waiting on him.

When he's actually ready to take the snap there's 1 second left on the clock (and he's not even really ready at that point because his hands are wiping the towel behind is back.) This is a QB who has no idea about the play clock.
IMG_5979.jpg

Tuck is in the game.

Last edited:
yep, gotta go for 2 and the win, our D was struggling, I did not feel good about OT at all.
To be honest...2 at that point is not necessarily a bad idea at all. Not conventional, but sometines the right call. I like the aggressiveness. It can be a good idea. The penalty made it a moot point.

You need to have a feel for game...particularly if the D is gassed and you doubt they can get stops...and absolutely you have a play call ready you have worked on all week inside 5 yard line in practice that you feel good about. Don't call anything where you have any doubts...you got to be at least 90% certain, "this play will very likely work".

It is not a time to gather your staff, "Well, what do you like here?" No!!!...if you don't have that play absolutely ready...called and executed in practice during work week...then don't bother.

Bobby Knight said biggest mistake in coaching was unpreparedness. Any sport. Bobby's ratio was you did 90% of gameday coaching in practice. Only 10% during game. The decisions for game for most part should already be made well in advance. You should be ready to counter any feasible tactic...in advance. You know what you will do in any eventuality.

His philosophy...If coaches were deciding too much during game, discussing this strategy, that strategy, analyzing what to do, will this work or not, what do we do here?...then you already screwed up. The true preparation should have been done in advance. In practice or pregame meetings.

Last edited:
There were 3-4 occasions during the game where the ref was keeping us from snapping the ball while the defense ran players on and off the field. On three occasions the clock was under 8 seconds and the ref was still stopping play. Dino had to call time out once. It doesn’t seem right that the officials make us rush to get a play off when they are causing the delay. It seems the clock should stop while players are subbing. It doesn’t seem fair. It drove me nuts during the game, which is not hard to do.

Like I said. With 20 seconds left on the play clock, the announcer says "and the offense will head back onto the field." That's plenty of time to run a play. The OL is in position when Shrader comes waltzing in behind them with 11 seconds on the clock. Why is the OL ready and Shrader not ready to take a snap? He's not looking to the sideline for the play either. The entire team is waiting on him.

When he's actually ready to take the snap there's 1 second left on the clock (and he's not even really ready at that point because his hands are wiping the towel behind is back.) This is a QB who has no idea about the play clock.

Tuck is in the game.

You're correct. Tuck and Rhino came to the sidelines after the TD (thinking it was a PAT attempt), but were back on the field for the "non-snap".

If they knew ahead of time we were going for 2, they would have never come out.

Failure to communicate.

You're correct. Tuck and Rhino came to the sidelines after the TD (thinking it was a PAT attempt), but were back on the field for the "non-snap".

saw same and questioned what was happening. I don;t know the rules well enough to comment. But seems unfair, defense could go really slow in substitution forcing delay of game.

There were 3-4 occasions during the game where the ref was keeping us from snapping the ball while the defense ran players on and off the field. On three occasions the clock was under 8 seconds and the ref was still stopping play. Dino had to call time out once. It doesn’t seem right that the officials make us rush to get a play off when they are causing the delay. It seems the clock should stop while players are subbing. It doesn’t seem fair. It drove me nuts during the game, which is not hard to do.

If the offense subs players, the defense has to be given the opportunity to make its' own subs. If we keep the same 11 guys out there, we can go as fast as we want.

We lined up on the left hash for the 2 pt conv, but after the delay of game they can't respot the ball in the center for the PAT.

We're kinda committed now.
Which makes me believe we knew the play call for the conversion, and the confusion was likely getting the right personnel on the field.

I've noticed not just in this game but several other times this year. Stop the clock if you're permitting defensive substitutions to slow down the offense. Seems shadey. Nothing surprises me with these ACC refs.

Failure to communicate.

It's not a decision that has to be made ahead of time. That's a convenient way to blame the HC but we have 40 seconds (plus the time when the play clock isn't moving.)

From the time the touchdown horn sounds to the time the play clock starts winding is 30 seconds (I timed it). The announcer also indicates "he sends the field goal unit back to the sideline" just before the play clock starts. So it took 30 seconds to make the decision. Still has 40.

The HC owns the disorganization but there's a lot of blame to go around and no explanation for why Shrader is being so slow to get behind center unless he's not aware of the play clock.

At a bare minimum Gilbert should have had several plays in his pocket. When the FG team is pulled the play needs to get from Gilbert to Shrader. Even if that takes 15 seconds (from 40 to 25) why isn't the team (and Shrader) running out to the ball and getting set. With 29 seconds left nobody is on the ball yet. The decision to go for 2 was made with 40 seconds on the play clock.

When I finally see the team lined up and Shrader walking with no sense of urgency, there's 11 seconds on the clock. Still plenty of time to get set and the ball snapped. IMO he thinks there's a time out and obviously nobody is pointing out the play clock.

I watched that and thought “Dino has his joy back” … he knows he has a good team this year

Maybe Shrader didn't like our chances of getting the 2 and Dino's not going to debate his QB publicly. Honestly, who knows. I was happy at the game when we got the penalty. Of all the things we can complain about, this is lower on my list.

I will say -- on the Lutz fumble on prior drive. Tucker got banged up on the play before and asked to come out. I remember as I said to someone next to me -- Tucker finally has to come out...and then boom, fumble. Insane.

He mentioned on a few occasions the players lacked urgency. Didn’t name individually but certainly put the onus on them.

Now if those players were told 60 seconds before the score that they need to *be ready* to go for two then I bet they would have been. They all lollygaged over to the sideline which to me means it didn’t even occurs to them there may be another play
Fair enough, not throwing guys under the bus and calling them out , not in my opinion and he certainly didn’t use names, I mean there was no “ A dead man could get more rebounds”

It's not a 100% go for two scenario. Not even a little bit. Arkansas lost this weekend going for 2 in the same situation. It's an all or nothing.

(Can't take Dino literally in these press conference either, and don't believe a word he ever says.)
But, as the drive is unfolding, you have to be thinking about the two scenarios. All it takes is a quick, "Sterling, have a 2pt play ready for when we score".
Not that he should even have to say anything. OC should be ready, and quite probably was, but the decision either wasn't made in time or wasn't communicated.

Dino admitting that they didn’t know if they’d go for two or not until after they scored is as painful as the delay of game…OMFG. It’s a 100 percent go for two scenario and nothing about the dump over the middle to Tucker for 6 was the deciding factor. That’s the scary part with Dino is that he doesn’t even seem to know why what he’s saying is nuts.
Normally at home you probably play for overtime...but we were beat up, the underdog so going for 2 was a good call. The holding penalty was ludicrous...Sciba is the best kicker in the country but his longest career kick was 49 yards. I'd make him kick it...if he made it...good on him but you were winning the 1st half and had momentum. Still up 8 pts. Dino is usually mediocre in the middle 8...those crucial 4 mins at the end of a half and beginning of the 2nd half.

He should use analytical charts to help him decide.

He’s far from clueless, he might be trying to hard to give his team an edge, he’s pressing, that’s not clueless
Jesus dudes, clueless about his decision making for the WF game which he was talking about.

Normally at home you probably play for overtime...but we were beat up, the underdog so going for 2 was a good call. The holding penalty was ludicrous...Sciba is the best kicker in the country but his longest career kick was 49 yards. I'd make him kick it...if he made it...good on him but you were winning the 1st half and had momentum. Still up 8 pts. Dino is usually mediocre in the middle 8...those crucial 4 mins at the end of a half and beginning of the 2nd half.

CIL has a good post somewhere in this mess, he has DC going for it on 4th down. So then what...

Little margin in these ACC games.

Dino hasn't ever been in this much pressure in this close of games. He's made a lot of coin flip decisions that have not gone his way this year.

Accepting the penalty to push them out of FG position on 4th and 13 wasn't a bad call. What if WF went for it on 4th and 13? (they might have, they were very close to no mans land). The odds our D holds them to less than 10 were better than the odds the convert. The play call on 3rd and 23 you can argue back and forth all day, the only reason we are complaining is we failed.

4th and 2 in the fourth and going for 2 in the 3rd are both coin flip plays that we went 0-2 on. If either hit we likely win (can't think our Groza award winner is going to miss from there).

I think we're coming around and still learning how to win, that includes HCDB. My money is we go bowling this year. Better than feeling like we're the worst team/coach in FBS like some of you.

Last edited:

View attachment 208351
Tuck is in the game.
He was absolutely gassed. That’s why. And he had every right to be with his heroics on that drive.

If we went for two and didn’t get it, how many here would be bitching?

Those resources are probably difficult to come by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom