Dino's Presser after Clemson | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Presser after Clemson

Babers: "It's just hard to stay with a team like this. You've got to get lucky." Babers said he's proud of the effort he saw from his team.

Babers on WR Taj Harris: "That stuff is always in-house. That's family business. I love that young man and I want nothing but the best for him and his mom." Said he'd treat his son the same way if he had one.

More Babers on Harris: "Hopefully everything's going to be OK and he's going to be with us for many more battles to come."

Babers raves about CB Garrett Williams his pick-six, noting the stage of playing at Clemson as a redshirt freshman. Williams also had multiple PBUs on the day. Babers shouts out Nykeim Johnson as well. Had a really strong camp and Babers is glad it's showing up when it counts.

Babers said Clemson's fake punt was well designed. The player tasked with watching for that, Kingsley Jonathan, was blocked by three guys.

Babers doesn't really answer when asked why he punted on 4th and 1 down six points in the third quarter. Discussed the importance of the element of surprise on special teams.

Babers on his fourth down decision: "When everyone in the booth is telling you to go for it, that's probably when you shouldn't go for it."

No substantial update on injured RB Sean Tucker: "We've got to see how it goes." Babers said he's had an "eye-opening first half of the season."

Babers said the team was down at the start of the week: "I just didn't like the look in their eye." He reminded the guys that many of them have beaten Clemson before. Thought morale improved over the course of the week.

Babers on Travis Etienne's performance against the Syracuse D: "I told some of our younger safeties like Robert Hanna and Ja'Had Carter: You're gonna hit him once and you'll wonder if you want to hit him again. But there's a reason why he's one of the best in the nation."

Babers on why he didn't go for it on 4th down in a 6-point game: "If we go for it on the -41 and we don't get it, what kind of question are you asking me then? My thought was if we get a good punt down and maybe our D gets another INT, then we're in good shape."

Babers asked again about the 4th-and-1 punt. He says if he'd gone for it and SU didn't convert, he'd be asked the same question. He does open up, though, saying "our defense has been playing well." Nolan Cooney and GCA pinned Clemson at the 3. SU's short-yardage O, not so much.

Babers on player development, taking a big step forward today at Clemson: "Aman Greenwood had a chance at an INT, it his his hands three times before it hit the ground. I kept thinking of all our other young guys who had big plays to make. I can't wait until they're sophomores."

Babers said he'd never imagine playing Clemson that close with 45% of his travel roster being freshmen.

Last edited:
Babers: "It's just hard to stay with a team like this. You've got to get lucky." Babers said he's proud of the effort he saw from his team.

Babers on WR Taj Harris: "That stuff is always in-house. That's family business. I love that young man and I want nothing but the best for him and his mom." Said he'd treat his son the same way if he had one.
Ya it's hard to stay with anyone when you do t have a d1 level backup QB.

I like Tommy, but I’m not sure he can take us to the next level. We really need a quality grad transfer or any QB transfer.
What I learned was, today, with QB play somewhere between Rex Culpepper and Eric Dungey, we win this thing.

I wont pile on Rex, though obviously those mistakes were the nails.

But there is talent on the team. We just need to find the right conductor for our bittersweet symphony.

I really hope Tucker is ok. But I fear he isn't.

Being down to our 5th and 6th string RBs isn't fair. But people think we're Alabama and next man up will just be our next Heisman winner.

man, what has Pierre done to drop so far?

Babers on why he didn't go for it on 4th down in a 6-point game: "If we go for it on the -41 and we don't get it, what kind of question are you asking me then? My thought was if we get a good punt down and maybe our D gets another INT, then we're in good shape."

I love Dino but is he saying it is easier for this team to get an INT than get 1 yard???

I love Dino but is he saying it is easier for this team to get an INT than get 1 yard???
Nothing to lose and everything to gain. Also, it sent a bad message to the team. It was a turning point. Kids were playing hard.

we have already showed how terrible we are at short yardage situations this year. How many 4th and inches have we failed on this year? We ended up pinning them at their 3 and they ended up punting it right back. no issue with the decision here.

we have already showed how terrible we are at short yardage situations this year. How many 4th and inches have we failed on this year? We ended up pinning them at their 3 and they ended up punting it right back. no issue with the decision here.

Right. The people who are complaining are using it to fuel whatever narratives they already had made up in their mind.

well we do have more INTs than 4th down conversions. 3x as many actually. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom