Dino's Presser after Liberty | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Presser after Liberty

And I aged 60 years...

I don't even know what I did. I'd like to say I got a life, but I have nothing to show for it. Got married during P's last year, and had my first kid right after Marrone's first spring practice season ended.

Maybe I just drank though it all? Obviously not enough as I still have the memories.

I don't even know what I did. I'd like to say I got a life, but I have nothing to show for it. Got married during P's last year, and had my first kid right after Marrone's first spring practice season ended.

Maybe I just drank though it all? Obviously not enough as I still have the memories.

That was a low era. There was one Saturday we were playing Duke and I had an unavoidable conflict so I had to record the game. I tried to avoid my phone but I ended up seeing the score. I got home and just deleted it. Been watching SU football and basketball since the early-mid 80s and that's the only time I got to the point that I just couldn't take it anymore and didn't watch a game.

That was a low era. There was one Saturday we were playing Duke and I had an unavoidable conflict so I had to record the game. I tried to avoid my phone but I ended up seeing the score. I got home and just deleted it. Been watching SU football and basketball since the early-mid 80s and that's the only time I got to the point that I just couldn't take it anymore and didn't watch a game.

I think you're mixing Shafer eras, but that's ok that Duke game was very similar to a GRob game (I know because it was the one game I attended that year). Sometimes it all runs together.

GRob was in the Big East all 4 years.

I think you're mixing Shafer eras, but that's ok that Duke game was very similar to a GRob game (I know because it was the one game I attended that year). Sometimes it all runs together.

GRob was in the Big East all 4 years.

You are correct. That was a Shafer game. GRob was pre-ACC.

He's never been in this situation before, and now it's at the highest level of competition he's ever coached. Prolly really stressed out.

What is somewhat surprising is that in his career and with the staff on board there has to be some experience going through tough times at other major programs right?

Its often easier to see it in basketball but when the players are running the show, especially those with more talent than most it is is a clear sign of the coaches lacking an answer and letting things go feeling as if they have no other choice.

Even look at Dungey. He was just a fierce competitor but he had some bone headed outbursts from time to time and while we loved it most of the time because he had class to go with along with production, there were some signs there in terms of letting the players run the show. There were a few guys prone to bad penalties and a lack of immaturity who still got out there for plenty of run.

This is all reading tea leaves and conjecture I realize but it still just surprises me that the staff could seem this helpless as maybe it's the first rodeo in charge of a large program where it is failing but there is too much experience at other programs for it to be this much of a struggle...

What is somewhat surprising is that in his career and with the staff on board there has to be some experience going through tough times at other major programs right?

Its often easier to see it in basketball but when the players are running the show, especially those with more talent than most it is is a clear sign of the coaches lacking an answer and letting things go feeling as if they have no other choice.

Even look at Dungey. He was just a fierce competitor but he had some bone headed outbursts from time to time and while we loved it most of the time because he had class to go with along with production, there were some signs there in terms of letting the players run the show. There were a few guys prone to bad penalties and a lack of immaturity who still got out there for plenty of run.

This is all reading tea leaves and conjecture I realize but it still just surprises me that the staff could seem this helpless as maybe it's the first rodeo in charge of a large program where it is failing but there is too much experience at other programs for it to be this much of a struggle...

Oh yeah, I mean there were tough times here in 2016 and 2017. It might be a realization that the vision he had for the team when he was first hired isn't going to work, so now it's up to him to adjust his scheme and personnel to make it work.

Oh yeah, I mean there were tough times here in 2016 and 2017. It might be a realization that the vision he had for the team when he was first hired isn't going to work, so now it's up to him to adjust his scheme and personnel to make it work.

That is a good point. I mean even looking across CFB the high scoring tempo fad is no longer news and many teams it seems use it every game. There is nothing unique right now about what he is trying to do other than it's not producing wins.

That is a good point. I mean even looking across CFB the high scoring tempo fad is no longer news and many teams it seems use it every game. There is nothing unique right now about what he is trying to do other than it's not producing wins.

More teams are definitely using tempo but I think this scheme can still work. IMO Dino needs to go back to a Dual Threat QB to make up the O-line issues and give opposing defense something else to prepare for.

More teams are definitely using tempo but I think this scheme can still work. IMO Dino needs to go back to a Dual Threat QB to make up the O-line issues and give opposing defense something else to prepare for.

Yeah. Dual threat is a must here. Also need to have depth in the QB room in that respect too.

Dave Clawson - 6th Season - 36-40.
Four straight bowls and a program which seems to be on a much more stable footing than SU’s. I have no particular affection for Wake or Clawson, in fact I think he’s kind of a jerk. My point is that there are a number of private schools with as many competitive disadvantages as SU, yet they have been more competitive over time than us. Think BC, Duke, Northwestern, TCU, SMU even Tulane. BC even fired a coach who was “only” winning 6-7 games a year and going to a bowl.
Universities spend tons of money on consultants. Maybe it would be a worthwhile expenditure of some of that ACC money to look a best practices among football programs at private schools before we rush to select the next savior.

Don't sell that jawline short, he would sold the s out of london fog

Maybe a little fall liquidation sale photo shoot at Burlington Coat Factory? Could see it for sure.

My Mom loved the London Fog line for my brother and I when we were too young to give a crap. Now I don't care anymore either

I still am stuck on how is it possible we have so many injuries every year? Even in the 10 win season we endured our fair share or more. I do think with a healthy core we are better, not sure how much better. That said there has to be a formula that is failing for injuries to be consistently a problem..
because when you recruit hurt guys, or small guys who haven't been able to grow, then you get hurt running into bigger guys in the conference. It's pretty standard stuff.

Four straight bowls and a program which seems to be on a much more stable footing than SU’s. I have no particular affection for Wake or Clawson, in fact I think he’s kind of a jerk. My point is that there are a number of private schools with as many competitive disadvantages as SU, yet they have been more competitive over time than us. Think BC, Duke, Northwestern, TCU, SMU even Tulane. BC even fired a coach who was “only” winning 6-7 games a year and going to a bowl.
Universities spend tons of money on consultants. Maybe it would be a worthwhile expenditure of some of that ACC money to look a best practices among football programs at private schools before we rush to select the next savior.

I am pretty sure that nearly all of the schools you have listed have greater financial resources than Syracuse University.
I have no doubt that that is true with respect to BC, Duke, and NW, and have little doubt with respect to SMU.

The lack of coaching stability has had an effect.

Those who have been on this Board for awhile know how strongly I feel about the decision to fire Coach Pasqualoni in 2004.

Doug Marrone won two bowl games in three years and seemed on his way to sustained success - losing him was disruptive to the Program.

Firing Shafer after three years led to further instability - ironically he was the victim of the kind of injuries that are impacting Dino now - especially at QB. (I am not presuming to debate the decision in this thread).

And, it is only in the past few years that the football infrastructure at SU has been addressed to any substantial degree - with much work to do.

So, my feeling is that Dino Babers is a good man - I believe that student-athletes like him and want to play for him. I think the Program needs to hang tough, create some much needed stability and stay the course.

I think the new Dome and the new investment in the football complex has already helped with recruiting and will continue to draw better talent.

So, you have to figure that this COVID season has exposed what has been a longstanding problem on the Hill - a fundamental lack of quality depth.

And, you have to stay the course and stick with Dino.

I am pretty sure that nearly all of the schools you have listed have greater financial resources than Syracuse University.
I have no doubt that that is true with respect to BC, Duke, and NW, and have little doubt with respect to SMU.

The lack of coaching stability has had an effect.

Those who have been on this Board for awhile know how strongly I feel about the decision to fire Coach Pasqualoni in 2004.

Doug Marrone won two bowl games in three years and seemed on his way to sustained success - losing him was disruptive to the Program.

Firing Shafer after three years led to further instability - ironically he was the victim of the kind of injuries that are impacting Dino now - especially at QB. (I am not presuming to debate the decision in this thread).

And, it is only in the past few years that the football infrastructure at SU has been addressed to any substantial degree - with much work to do.

So, my feeling is that Dino Babers is a good man - I believe that student-athletes like him and want to play for him. I think the Program needs to hang tough, create some much needed stability and stay the course.

I think the new Dome and the new investment in the football complex has already helped with recruiting and will continue to draw better talent.

So, you have to figure that this COVID season has exposed what has been a longstanding problem on the Hill - a fundamental lack of quality depth.

And, you have to stay the course and stick with Dino.
I’m not arguing to fire Dino. What I do think is it might make sense to analyze why we don’t compete better as compared to private school peers (virtually all of them; note I didn’t use as examples Miami, ND, Stanford or Baylor). You think it’s coaching instability and financial resources, maybe that’s right, maybe not. Right now though we’ve been bouncing off the bottom most of the last 20 years.
Btw I’d like to think I can take a somewhat longer term perspective since I have been following SU football since I arrived as a freshman in 1969.

What's too painful to remember, I simply choose to forget...or maybe it's just senile dementia setting in.

No.
You're one word answer leaves me with questions.

Do you think his question is just ridiculous? Or were you trying to allude to some other type of systemic problem?

I’m not arguing to fire Dino. What I do think is it might make sense to analyze why we don’t compete better as compared to private school peers (virtually all of them; note I didn’t use as examples Miami, ND, Stanford or Baylor). You think it’s coaching instability and financial resources, maybe that’s right, maybe not. Right now though we’ve been bouncing off the bottom most of the last 20 years.
Btw I’d like to think I can take a somewhat longer term perspective since I have been following SU football since I arrived as a freshman in 1969.

A few things.

First, we have not been bouncing off the bottom since the year 2000.

That's not accurate.

We were still very competitive through 2003 and won a share of the Big East in 2004.

If you've been around since 1969, then you already know the answer to the question you have raised.

Syracuse University is a relatively poor private institution. BC, NW, Duke all have larger endowments than we do - and it's not close.

Except for some brief moments - Manley Field House in 1962 and the Carrier Dome in 1980 - the football program has been way - way - behind its so-called private peers in terms of football infrastructure.

When Marrone was here, he complained that the Football Program was dead last in the Big East in terms of facilities.

He promised the Administration that if he could be funded to the point where he was in the middle of the Big East pack, he would win. And he was talking about basic facilities such as physical training facilities.

So, that has been the fundamental problem since the early 1990s.

I have repeated this many times and I still believe it.

When the Administration fired Pasqualoni in 2004, it made a fundamental miscalculation - it figured the problem with the 6-6 football Program was coaching. That was not true.

The problem was funding.

And so from that point we began a period of coaching moves that resulted in a great deal of instability.

You can't change coaching staffs every four years and expect to develop and maintain much-needed recruiting contacts.

This isn't brain surgery. You don't need a consultant to figure it out.

It's money, facilities, and coaching stability - assuming you have a solid staff.

At this point, I feel at least that we have a solid staff.

So, again, I think we not panic about this anomalous COVID season and try to stay the course, knowing that the new Dome and the plans to rebuild the facilities will have a positive impact.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom