Dino's Signing Day Presser 1 PM | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Signing Day Presser 1 PM

Lot of things you can say , anecdotal stories from there recruitment or the season.

Unfortunately he's also one of those that says I don't like singling out one kid so that takes another part out of the recruiting conversation out.

Honestly, what is there to say? “He’s a good player. We can’t wait for him to get here. Just had moments that make you say wow.”
Dino is great at answering open ended questions like 'what was it about Player A that made him stand out' and make the staff offer him?

Every other P5 team in the country has this presser and I wager that at every other P5 presser, the HC is asked about each signee individually, and the HC provides some behind the scenes details and insights that the fans really long for and enjoy.

This is what we used to have when we had a good press core covering the team.

This is what we should expect from this presser and should get. Now that opportunity has passed and we essentially get nothing.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Dino is great at answering open ended questions like 'what was it about Player A that made him stand out' and make the staff offer him?

Every other P5 team in the country has this presser and I wager that at every other P5 presser, the HC is asked about each signee individually, and the HC provides some behind the scenes details and insights that the fans really long for and enjoy.

This is what we should expect from this presser and should get. Now that opportunity has passed and we essentially get nothing.

agree 100%

When they asked him about Allen, he didn't say much. Just that he thinks he's good.

Last edited:
Agreed it's certainly not good but at this point we know he is coming back, we need someone to be our OC and move the needle. One way or another things will be clearer next year and Dino will either win and go bowling or we will have a new coach and move on. Until then, here's to hoping things go well.

Unfortunately he's also one of those that says I don't like singling out one kid so that takes another part out of the recruiting conversation out.
Agree with this, but we have curated welcome videos speaking about individuals. Maybe he could say similar things, and add some anecdotes. Doesn’t seem like too much of an ask.

This "everything is just worse in Syracuse" stuff gets real old real fast.

I mean, the portal is absolutely apart of recruiting and signing day.

Clawson was talking about this morning and how Wake isn’t taking that many HS kids because they have the portal to recruit out of now and those kids, for the most part, are coming in and ready to play right away.

High School recruiting is going to become only the best of the absolute best. Kids like Deuce who are plug and play and ready to go from day 1.

Dino may be irritated about it, but it’s the reality of college football and he needs to jump fully on board
That's what I was saying 2 years ago about the portal. The portal was taylor made for a team like Syracuse to be able to even up the odds in recruiting, but no, that isn't college football tradition. Syracuse has retrograde thinking.

This "everything is just worse in Syracuse" stuff gets real old real fast.
I don't think Tom is one of those, just wanted more dialogue on the recruits, I could give you a list of the actual"Syraracuse and Dino sucks at everything" posters , but we know who they are.

Honestly, what is there to say? “He’s a good player. We can’t wait for him to get here. Just had moments that make you say wow.”
Coach, what kind of pressure did you face with recruits this year pertaining to your job status? Did you have to fight harder than usual to hold onto the kids you signed?

What I think of when I hear underbelly:

1B3A8A55-3272-409E-BACD-5CD2975F7DDE.jpeg

The journalists we have now know negativity gets the clicks short term but maybe they don’t know that fans want to get excited about the program and stories about positive stuff is better for them long term

It is ironic that Dino, who I really like and hope succeeds, is generally so secretive and closed off. These press conferences go wherever he takes them. If they are short on player information, that’s on him. Don’t answer the question asked if you don’t like it, answer what you want and take as much time as you need to message and market. Dino, despite his weak points, could be a marketing dynamo if he simply cut himself loose.

When they asked him about Allen, he didn't say much. Just that he thinks he's good.

He said more than that. He mentioned the home visit and his family. He talked about the ratings of him and Tucker and how Allen is more highly thought of than Tucker was in HS. He obviously didn’t do a breakdown of his skills but that was like the next to last question and Dino was already frustrated with the portal question asked 10 different ways.

There have been years (maybe a long time ago), where the NSD show was run by the radio/TV voice. With that format, we get a lot of specific info on the recruits.

I know recruiting rankings are random, flawed, biased, or whatever, but I would love to see the program accidentally crack the Top 50 on occasion.
So, I guess we need to jettison a couple kids we just signed and go get others who are higher rated. Right? What else does "crack the top 50" mean? Can I take it that you would simply start at the bottom and replace kids until we get up to, say, spot #49?

"I wish our recruiting was better" means "I would rather we got other players than the ones we did". It's OK to feel that way. Just want someone to admit it, and maybe point out which kids we sign are likely to end up transferring out in a year or two.

So, I guess we need to jettison a couple kids we just signed and go get others who are higher rated. Right? What else does "crack the top 50" mean? Can I take it that you would simply start at the bottom and replace kids until we get up to, say, spot #49?

"I wish our recruiting was better" means "I would rather we got other players than the ones we did". It's OK to feel that way. Just want someone to admit it, and maybe point out which kids we sign are likely to end up transferring out in a year or two.
Yes, I will admit I would like to replace lower rated players with higher rated players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom