Dino's Signing Day Presser | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Signing Day Presser

Agreed. It was a solid hire at the time. It's been a rough road with a few highlights but he can right the ship here I believe. He knows what needs to be done, can he get it done is the question. The problem with hiring a new coach, they don't know what they are getting into at Syracuse regardless is what is said publicly. It's just a lot tougher than they anticipate and lets face it they are taking the job as it's a promotion in money and stature usually.

And guys, I am not in favor of keeping Babers forever I just think the next year or two will give you the entire story.
I'm In favor of keeping Babers forever if he starts winning, and like winning by next year I mean

Yeah. I think the administrations at those programs have some sort of secret sauce for finding not only good coaches, but very good coaches year over year. It is absolutely uncanny what Cincinnati was able to do. A complete head scratcher. I think Cuse needs to figure out what they figured out first

Fickell kind of surprises me as to how good he has been. You just never know with these coordinators from blue blood programs how good they will be.

That said, I think recruiting at Cincy is pretty easy just offer every Ohio kid with no OSU offer or who doesn't go there.

Yeah. I think the administrations at those programs have some sort of secret sauce for finding not only good coaches, but very good coaches year over year. It is absolutely uncanny what Cincinnati was able to do. A complete head scratcher. I think Cuse needs to figure out what they figured out first

Temple has had good luck in that regard too.
And Pitt.

But those programs hadn’t been mostly a dumpster fire for a decade + prior, like we were.

I still think our model has to be Duke.
For better or worse.

Temple has had good luck in that regard too.
And Pitt.

But those programs hadn’t been mostly a dumpster fire for a decade + prior, like we were.

I still think our model has to be Duke.
For better or worse.
I love you, Comstock. But I hope our model isn't Duke and I don't think it is. We have had way more traditional success in football than Duke can even take a whiff at. And I think we can have much greater success than Duke in the future.

Syracuse was beginning to do something right in the 80's and 90's and could definitely recruit better than we have in the last 20 years. Then I think P became very tired towards the end of his tenure with recruiting and recruiting losses, and intensive game planning and prep. Hard to keep up certain levels of intensity and perfectionism for years on end

I was focusing on the good hires. 80% success rate in coaching hires is pretty damn good. I'd suggest hiring the guy doing that hiring.

I agree with the post you replied to. Half of this board is saying its damn near impossible to recruit and win in Syracuse. I'm not buying that. Maybe we havent hired good coaches lately, maybe that's why we dont recruit well and win.

If one school can do it, I'd bet two can.
8606A57D-E887-485F-90BA-00DCAFDCE454.jpeg

I love you, Comstock. But I hope our model isn't Duke and I don't think it is. We have had way more traditional success in football than Duke can even take a whiff at. And I think we can have much greater success than Duke in the future.

Syracuse was beginning to do something right in the 80's and 90's and could definitely recruit better than we have in the last 20 years. Then I think P became very tired towards the end of his tenure with recruiting and recruiting losses, and intensive game planning and prep. Hard to keep up certain levels of intensity and perfectionism for years on end

Our floor will be higher than Duke IMO cause of our lower academic standards + football history. But we're a development school now, need to coach up kids so the roster is full of redshirt juniors and seniors.

Sure, it's possible to build a winner here. And yes, we need better development. But the programs you mention have inherent advantages that Syracuse does not have.

Boise is successful because there's a lot of meat on the bone in California and Texas (I eyeballed their roster and estimate about 50% of the roster is from CA and 20% is from TX). They obviously have pipelines built, but there's fresh markets in CA for talent that Florida does not have.

Cincinnati is overwhelmingly Ohio players - and while Ohio no longer has the elite players it used to, forcing Michigan and Ohio State to look elsewhere - there's plenty there for a G5 state school to swoop in and construct a good team.

Every school is different. Yes, Syracuse can win and recruit better, but you can't compare what other schools are doing and say "why can't Syracuse do that" when it's likely a different situation.

RE: Boise I'd add too that they've been winning and getting into the polls for a long time now. They haven't won less than 8 games in a season since 1998. Yeah they play in the Mountain West and the WAC before that, but that's still a lot of winning.

RE: Boise I'd add too that they've been winning and getting into the polls for a long time now. They haven't won less than 8 games in a season since 1998. Yeah they play in the Mountain West and the WAC before that, but that's still a lot of winning.
Good point. I left out that detail because we haven't been winning, and well, we can't recruit on winning.

When P got married it dropped off. Couldn’t sleep at the office anymore and work 95 hours:)

OrangePA in 1...2...3.. :)

They built a Dome and were able to use that for quite a while, as many peers were just cashing checks (Rutgers, Pitt).

Then suddenly everyone started investing $ in their program and we didn't. Slowly everything deteriorated and eventually went completely to **** because they picked Greg Robinson. Wish they went to Marrone right there and then.

Sure, it's possible to build a winner here. And yes, we need better development. But the programs you mention have inherent advantages that Syracuse does not have.

Boise is successful because there's a lot of meat on the bone in California and Texas (I eyeballed their roster and estimate about 50% of the roster is from CA and 20% is from TX). They obviously have pipelines built, but there's fresh markets in CA for talent that Florida does not have.

Cincinnati is overwhelmingly Ohio players - and while Ohio no longer has the elite players it used to, forcing Michigan and Ohio State to look elsewhere - there's plenty there for a G5 state school to swoop in and construct a good team.

Every school is different. Yes, Syracuse can win and recruit better, but you can't compare what other schools are doing and say "why can't Syracuse do that" when it's likely a different situation.
It's a different situation at every school. Do either of those programs have the money we do? Boise is about a 10 hour drive to the closest large population center in CA. Proximity to recruits isnt doing it for them. Surely theres a lot of meat left on the bone up and down the east coast for us to gnaw on.

It's a different situation at every school. Do either of those programs have the money we do? Boise is about a 10 hour drive to the closest large population center in CA. Proximity to recruits isnt doing it for them. Surely theres a lot of meat left on the bone up and down the east coast for us to gnaw on.
I'm telling you what works for Boise and Cincinnati. If I knew how to make Syracuse work, I would be trying to cash in on that instead of putting off doing my job and writing on a message board.

Last edited:
we had a nightmare season, we have made 1 bowl in the last 7 years, and we are bringing in a class that is ranked higher than 13 other P5 teams. That isn't cause for a parade but that isn't that bad either. Develop the talent we have, hit the portal hard for higher end kids that we normally can't get and start winning. Then we can sneak up in the rankings more, but reality is we are never going to have classes ranked as high as some would like.

I'm telling you what works for Boise and Cincinnati. If I knew how to make Syracuse work, I would be trying to cash in on that instead of putting off stalling from doing my job and writing on a message board.
Fair!

They built a Dome and were able to use that for quite a while, as many peers were just cashing checks (Rutgers, Pitt).

Then suddenly everyone started investing $ in their program and we didn't. Slowly everything deteriorated and eventually went completely to **** because they picked Greg Robinson. Wish they went to Marrone right there and then.

100% this!

P becoming very tired towards the end of his tenure here, etc. is pure malarkey. I mean, the guy is still out there coaching today. The SU brass failed big time, the only game in town mantra, etc. and all that that entailed and implied was the crux and proximate cause (by far) for the deterioration of the football program. The 80's & 90's success means practically nothing to most of these kids today, what they see is consistently bad for two decades. This is why it's such an uphill battle today more than anything in my opinion.

We have a coaching staff that doesn't have eastern ties. Texas West Coast Southwest... Not a recipe for landing eastern kids.
Connections are everything. Its why Cav lands kids from Hawaii but none from our key states.
The staff isnt built to recruit our region.

We have a coaching staff that doesn't have eastern ties. Texas West Coast Southwest... Not a recipe for landing eastern kids.
Connections are everything. Its why Cav lands kids from Hawaii but none from our key states.
The staff isnt built to recruit our region.
Isn't Monroe from Jersey? Doesn't West have mid-atlantic contacts?

I'm telling you what works for Boise and Cincinnati. If I knew how to make Syracuse work, I would be trying to cash in on that instead of putting off doing my job and writing on a message board.
I'm sure there is someone with the knowledge you and I lack. I think/hope that person may be our current AD.

Isn't Monroe from Jersey? Doesn't West have mid-atlantic contacts?

I think West coached somewhere in Tidewater, VA (Norfolk, Newport News, Virginia Beach, Hampton). I went to a year of high school in Newport News and I'll tell you, high school football is a religion and Tidewater has a lot of D1 talent. I hope West is hitting it hard down there.

Edit: Checked his bio: West was a football star from Hampton, Va. and had a coaching stop at Old Dominion. His most recent stops were Marshall, Charlotte, Howard, and Virginia. Long stint at Virginia 2010-2015, so, as Javadoc said lots of mid-Atlantic ties. He was named ACC Recruiter of the Year twice during his time at Virginia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom