Dino's Week 6 Pitt Press Conference Notes / Depth Chart | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Week 6 Pitt Press Conference Notes / Depth Chart

You are forgetting about the revenue from things like video games and the like where all players are included in each of the rosters for every team.

There was a study done on what the Heisman was worth to the school that has the Heisman winner. The conservative estimate over I think it was a 4 year time frame was about $200 million dollars.

I thought there was a lawsuit, paid players for doing it but stopped using their likenesses because of the cost. Have they changed their minds this past year and resumed it?(I'm not a video player) I thought when companies did have to pay the players they decided financially it wasn't worth it.
'NCAA Football' settlement checks are rolling in

Well, obviously you place all profits in a trust established for all former, current and future athletes that have worn 44 and pay them an annuity.

Obviously.
Suzy Orman tells me that annuities are bad

You know what sounds great and would totally benefit SU since this thread is now in rainbowland?

Give every scholarship athlete 50% of a 5th year scholarship (at SU would be about 30k). After 4 years of playing you walk out of SU debt free with 30K, or use it toward your masters. Since this is all make believe anyway, why not? We'd become a real attractive university since tuition is so damn high lol

You know what sounds great and would totally benefit SU since this thread is now in rainbowland?

Give every scholarship athlete 50% of a 5th year scholarship (at SU would be about 30k). After 4 years of playing you walk out of SU debt free with 30K, or use it toward your masters. Since this is all make believe anyway, why not? We'd become a real attractive university since tuition is so damn high lol
Given the graduation rates of non student-athletes I've seen proposal to make all athletic scholarships 5 to play 5.

I don't think that's a terrible idea.

There was a study done on what the Heisman was worth to the school that has the Heisman winner. The conservative estimate over I think it was a 4 year time frame was about $200 million dollars.

There wasn't a study wit a conservative estimate , it was Baylor University alone who claimed an increase in donations etc . 'All told, Baylor estimates the Heisman win was worth $250 million in extra donations, increased ticket sales, licensing fees, sponsorship deals, an expanded deal with Fox Sports Southwest, and higher corn dog sales.'
How much is winning Heisman worth?

For the player winning the Heisman alone the estimate is $800,000 . Of course this doesn't include NFL earnings over their career. For both the school and the player, the alumni base and tradition of winning greatly affect the value of winning.

Heisman win potentially worth $800,000. | College Football Insider Blog

With each Texas player generating $5.6 million, over 4 years, and each fbs player averaging $1.4 million? You could say the compensation is no where near normal.

Wish I could find a steady investment that quadrupled every 4 years. I'd be posting this from my island.

Last edited:
Well, obviously you place all profits in a trust established for all former, current and future athletes that have worn 44 and pay them an annuity.

Obviously.

Sorry. Wasn’t obvious to me so that’s why I asked.

A lot of solid questions but my main point is this

The value of an education maybe hasn't changed all that much.

But college athletics and their revenues have exploded.

Take someone like Bear Bryant. Highest paid coach in his time and most would agree he is the best coach of his area and maybe of all time.

In 1956 he signed a 10 year deal and it seems that he made around 175K a year.

That's 1.4 million in today's money.

That is what a top notch COORDINATOR makes today.

All this money that was brought in was used to pay all these coaches and admins and facilities and blah blah blah and then act like they couldn't have figured out how to pay the players.

It's a weak argument.

They could follow an Olympic model and be done with it

I'm not sure I agree that the value of an education has not changed all that much.

When I went to IU it cost me $1,000 a semester for tuition or about $2,000.00 per year.

I believe the price is now about $45-50,000.00 per year.

In terms of pure dollars the value of an education has certainly increased substantially.

But the ultimate value - in terms of how higher education can afford skills that will allow the person to generate earnings in the future - has gone up to even a greater degree.

And most sports pundits who fill the air by calling for players to be paid ignore or discount that value.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree that the value of an education has not changed all that much.

When I went to IU it cost me $1,000 a semester for tuition or about $2,000.00 per year.

I believe the price is now about $45-50,000.00 per year.

In terms of pure dollars the value of an education has certainly increased substantially.

But the ultimate value - in terms of how higher education can afford skills that will afford the person the ability to generate earnings in the future - has gone up to even a greater degree.

And most sports pundits who fill the air by calling for players to be paid ignore or discount that value.

You missed my point.

A free education in 1910,20,30,40 and so on is still a free education. I know that it costs more, but if college football players aren't paying for it, it doesn't really matter as much to them

You missed my point.

A free education in 1910,20,30,40 and so on is still a free education. I know that it costs more, but if college football players aren't paying for it, it doesn't really matter as much to them

If the player doesn't value the education he is being offered for free, and doesn't recognize the value of the scholarship he is receiving then there is something wrong.

That is what needs to change.

I've heard that guys who get drafted by MLB teams after their junior years of college get their remaining college paid for if they wash out in the minors. I think the teams pay for it. Would be nice if such a thing also excited in the NFL.

If the player doesn't value the education he is being offered for free, and doesn't recognize the value of the scholarship he is receiving then there is something wrong.

What good is a free education if it only promises the possibility of stability later on? Especially when their current efforts are so obviously valuable.

Yeah.

Just that.

Sorry. Wasn’t obvious to me so that’s why I asked.
I was kidding. I just refuse to use the sarcasm font.

I'm not sure really. I think jerseys are kind of a terrible part of the "let them make money" discussion.

It's not "free". And, depending on the major, it might not be of good "value", either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom