Dion Waiters discusses struggles with weight on IG | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dion Waiters discusses struggles with weight on IG

In fact, I'd argue that Villanova's run of two national titles was based primarily on getting kids Syracuse was typically getting in the Philly/Baltimore recruiting area (Brunson is a Philly/Jersey kid despite playing in Illinois, Hart/Jenkins/Booth all Maryland kids, Arcidiacano & Bridges Philly area kids).

I believe Brunson, who ended up becoming National Player of the Year, would have come to Syracuse if offered. He was not.
And Brunson had ties to Syracuse through his father Rick who was born and lived in Syracuse during elementary school years.

I think that might be a little revisionist history. I think we really wanted DiVincenzo. We would have taken him had he wanted to commit.

Agreed about Arcidiacano -- not a Syracuse type player. But I was just using him as another player from the area that Villanova recruited.

The one question I would ask is this: If Villanova's model was not to recruit elite players but to develop them, then what is Syracuse's model?

We recruited a bunch of guys this year that fit the Villanova recruit profile for that period. Below or bottom tier Top 100 players. Guerrier isn't listed in many rankings but probably projects as Top 60. He could be a wild card and much better than that.

Edwards, Girard III, Bol Ajak are all not even on the Top 100 radar. Goodine is borderline Top 100.

I'm not sure about Divencenzo. I just remember we didn't go as hard as we could I thought because we had other guys we liked better.

I've been arguing the Villanova model should be Syracuse's model for years as we never really maximized the talent of the 1 and 2 and dones we received. They always left before developing into elite college players. They were very good college players. Thinking the guys in the 20-80 range like Grant/Mali/CMac/Lydon/Ennis.

Whenever somebody says our recruiting hasn't taken a hit, I say this.

Our 2011-2012 team had the #4 pick coming off the bench as the 3rd guard. Our 4th guard was the NBA Rookie of the Year in 2014.

Agreed but theres more to it guys were outplaying their recruiting rankings back then. And taking jumps from year 1 to year 2 see the guys you just referenced. And most importantly our fans weren't being morons and talking '1 and done' yet that started with Tyler Ennis and the ACC and hasn't gone away despite the lack of talent see the guys who left early with no shot of getting drafted. People were spewing that about Jalen Carey after the first couple games and sure enough the dude forgot how to play basketball overnight. And if a guy became unplayable to the extent Carey did last year 5-10 years ago you can rest assured we would have someone coming in the next year and he'd have no choice but to transfer.

Who was our last player with a career trajectory of Scoop or Andy Rautins who wasn't good enough as a freshman for more than a few minutes here and there but was a star come their Jr/Sr year? Can't think of anyone recently.

I agree. That is what I'm hoping for. The east is wide open too. Outside of Philly and the Bucks there is a great opportunity.

Miami is a funny team. I wonder where Dion's PG skills are right now I could see him being like Harden and turning into their 1. Dragic is always hurt and they don't have another point guard. No cap room to bring anyone in they have one of the highest pay rolls in the league.

Who was our last player with a career trajectory of Scoop or Andy Rautins who wasn't good enough as a freshman for more than a few minutes here and there but was a star come their Jr/Sr year? Can't think of anyone recently.

Unfortunately not Frank.....

*ducks*

On a serious note, you can’t blame our fans for guys that aren’t that good leaving after a year or two. That happens all over the country.

And Brunson had ties to Syracuse through his father Rick who was born and lived in Syracuse during elementary school years.

I remember bumping into Rick Brunson at the FF in '16 - he was wearing a white Hanes v-neck t-shirt. No Nova or T-Wolves gear. Always found that weird.

I remember bumping into Rick Brunson at the FF in '16 - he was wearing a white Hanes v-neck t-shirt. No Nova or T-Wolves gear. Always found that weird.

He’s played or coached for like 15 different teams. At some point, you probably stop giving a crap about the employer?

*As a kid, I met an NFL Olineman who played for everybody(the Steelers most recently at the time - who had just lost to the Cowboys in the Super Bowl). My father tried to get him to crack on my brother(Cowboys fan), by telling him “this kid’s a Cowboys fan!”, hoping for/expecting at least a semi-disgusted response.

His response was along the lines of “hey, whoever signs the checks. I don’t care.” LOL.

He’s played or coached for like 15 different teams. At some point, you probably stop giving a crap about the employer?

*As a kid, I met an NFL Olineman who played for everybody(the Steelers most recently at the time - who had just lost to the Cowboys in the Super Bowl). My father tried to get him to crack on my brother(Cowboys fan), by telling him “this kid’s a Cowboys fan!”, hoping for/expecting at least a semi-disgusted response.

His response was along the lines of “hey, whoever signs the checks. I don’t care.” LOL.

True, but I figured he was there to watch his kid, first and foremost.

True, but I figured he was there to watch his kid, first and foremost.

Temple player. Couldn’t quite buy into Nova, regardless of the kid? Those Big 5 rivalries probably ran deep for 90s kids, when those other schools mattered more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom