Disagree with the "big name" coach idea | Syracusefan.com

Disagree with the "big name" coach idea

PoppyHart

All American
I'd rather have a stepping stone coach. The program has been tarnished so severely that a big name coach is going to be likely uninterested, unaffordable, or tainted by some sort of scandal at his previous employer.

We need someone young, hungry, and innovative to quickly restore the program, knowing full well their aspirations are to move on in 3-4 years once they get the job done. Then, once the brand has been rebuilt, the job will attract more candidates and we can look for some stability at the helm.

TGD is 0-2 in the FB coach hiring sweepstakes. He has to go with the sure thing this time.

I don't think Doug has to step aside. He does need to make some changes on his staff. He needs to also the bring in a coach or two that are well known big time recruiters in our 6 hour target area. He needs a ST coach that has had past success and finally he needs an OL coach.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

1st year head coach at Toledo, Matt Campbell. Should have been brought in as OC two years ago and wouldn't come now unless it was for the head coach job.

I would be calling Frank Solich at Ohio Univ. He's performed a miracle with that program. Level headed, no nonsense loyal guy. Read the article in last week's SI on what he's accomplished.

Frank Solich is almost 70. Not sure the guy needs the stress of joining the ACC with a turd of a team.

All problems in college football can be solved with money. Pay enough and someone good will coach the team.

I want somebody with head coaching experience, though. Enough is enough--we need someone who knows what the F they are doing when it comes to running a SUCCESSFUL program.

I like the idea of someone young, hungry, and innovative.

I don't think Sought has to step aside. He does need to make some changes on his staff. He needs to also the bring in a coach or two that are well known big time recruiters in our 6 hour target area. He needs a ST coach that has had past success and finally he needs an OL coach.

Nice plan in theory but what good coaches will come to work for Marrone if he has one year left on his contract? Only way your plan works is if we extend Marrone by another three years or so. That move, while it might work is a very ballsy move... you are basically doubling down on Marrone. Can we really do that?

We are in such a shittyy position righ now... Only two options I see are stay the course with Doug and his current staff and pray for a miracle or blow it all up because I don't see why any coach with their salt would coach here under Marrone given current circumstances.

I guess option three is to can Doug and promote Schafer and Wheatley as proposed. I don't know anymore... This should have worked and it makes me sick to my stomach that we are looking at another rebuild job.

Nice plan in theory but what good coaches will come to work for Marrone if he has one year left on his contract? Only way your plan works is if we extend Marrone by another three years or so. That move, while it might work is a very ballsy move... you are basically doubling down on Marrone. Can we really do that?

We are in such a shittyy position righ now... Only two options I see are stay the course with Doug and his current staff and pray for a miracle or blow it all up because I don't see why any coach with their salt would coach here under Marrone given current circumstances.

I guess option three is to can Doug and promote Schafer and Wheatley as proposed. I don't know anymore... This should have worked and it makes me sick to my stomach that we are looking at another rebuild job.

Trust me. There are one or two that would and they would significantly upgrade a couple weaknesses.

All problems in college football can be solved with money. Pay enough and someone good will coach the team.

We offered a couple guys $2m so we've been willing.