Disappointing season | Syracusefan.com

Disappointing season

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd
Below are some pretty well known programs with a preseason ranking in the top 25, their record to date and current ranking.

Duke #1*****15-5****#17
Indiana #11**14-6****N/R
Mich St #12**12-8****N/R
UConn #18***8-11****N/R
Syracuse #19**11-9***N/R
Texas #21*****8-12***N/R
Rhode Island#23**12-6**N/R

So much parity in college ball imo. The cream is rising to the top, ie Vill, UK, UCLA, Ariz, Unc, Fla St, etc but after that not much separates so many of these teams. Poor point guard/lead guard play would definitely drop some teams out of that next pack or drop you out of the position you were expected to be in.

It would be interesting, out of all the teams you listed above- how many are struggling at the point position? I know certainly SU and duke are...

Last edited:
The consistently good teams lose players early and suffer as a result.

Several ACC schools (FSU, Lville, UNC, VT) have both good football and basketball programs with Cuse being an exception in recent years or decades for football.

Several ACC schools (FSU, Lville, UNC, VT) have both good football and basketball programs with Cuse being an exception in recent years or decades for football.

I think the teams with consistently good football and basketball are the exception. Teams good in one or the other, or not good in either are the rule.

Duke has been a way bigger disappointment than Syracuse has been.
Duke was suppose to be top 5 all season long. They have 7 first round picks.

Uconn and Duke have been hurt by injuries. So has SU to a degree, but Chukwu did not look good in his few games. I was hoping for more from DaJuan this season, but it sounds like his knees will always limit him.

I watched some of the NC State / Duke games last night. Yurt7even looks like a much bigger project than I anticipated. I can't imagine him being drafted this season.

I don't know if Michigan was ranked but they are struggling as well. Same with the Buckeyes.

Below are some pretty well known programs with a preseason ranking in the top 25, their record to date and current ranking.

Duke #1*****15-5****#17
Indiana #11**14-6****N/R
Mich St #12**12-8****N/R
UConn #18***8-11****N/R
Syracuse #19**11-9***N/R
Texas #21*****8-12***N/R
Wait. You mean ours isn't the only prominent program in the college basketball universe that's underachieving, having maddening team chemistry problems, and requiring patience? GTHO.

I'll balance that sarcasm by acknowledging that we've got very big issues to confront. And I'll add that JB's tough love approach with the team this year has grated on me especially this season. Seems like a tin-eared approach. But I'm not on the inside. I do have season tickets for UT, however, and I've admired Coach Smart's demeanor with the players despite being as low as four games below .500 and being a Big XII cellar dweller.

Thanks for the perspective, Cherie. Here's hoping we can pull a few good wins out of what's left this season. At least we don't have a man-child who trips and kicks opponents repeatedly and then comes unglued on the bench.

Last edited:

Just 2 now. Giles and Tatum. Allen's stock has tanked. Tyler Lydon is now projected as the 19th pick in the draft.

DraftExpress: Mock Draft

Uconn and Duke have been hurt by injuries. So has SU to a degree, but Chukwu did not look good in his few games. I was hoping for more from DaJuan this season, but it sounds like his knees will always limit him.

I watched some of the NC State / Duke games last night. Yurt7even looks like a much bigger project than I anticipated. I can't imagine him being drafted this season.

I truly think the staff expected more out of Coleman. He looked like he was moving pretty well in the beginning of the season. Now he can barely run up and down the court. It really sucks all around and you got to feel for the kid. The kid has a better attitude and work ethic than many of us here. More than me for certain.

Chukwu I don't know what the hell the staff was seeing in him. Boeheim sure praised him before the season started but maybe he truly doesn't know what's going on. Then again, if our players in practice are just mindlessly driving into him with tunnel vision (like we see often) without passing or a mid-range/floater then maybe his ability became skewed.

No question about Yurt7even. That team has talent. They didn't miss him out there going with Malik Abu and Kapita inside. Kapita looks really physical for a freshman PF. That team should be much better with all of their talent. Rowan and Malik Abu are good. Smith is big time.

So much parity in college ball imo. The cream is rising to the top, ie Vill, UK, UCLA, Ariz, Unc, Fla St, etc but after that not much separates so many of these teams. Poor point guard/lead guard play would definitely drop some teams out of that next pack or drop you out of the position you were expected to be in.

It would be interesting, out of all the teams you listed above- how many are struggling at the point position? I know certainly SU and duke are...

Yep without good PG play in college these days you are sunk.

Yep without good PG play in college these days you are sunk.

Yep. I'll add ballhandling. Can't have enough. All those teams above have more guys that handle the ball better than our guys collectively. Especially if you want to play the way Villanova or UCLA does with very little post game.

Yep. I'll add ballhandling. Can't have enough. All those teams above have more guys that handle the ball better than our guys collectively. Especially if you want to play the way Villanova or UCLA does with very little post game.

It's funny, in today's game it seems teams with solid ball handlers and capable long distance shooters have a big advantage. Then you look at one of our best teams ever, and we started two big guys who could do neither in Jackson and Onuaku. The difference? They were incredibly capable inside.

It's funny, in today's game it seems teams with solid ball handlers and capable long distance shooters have a big advantage. Then you look at one of our best teams ever, and we started two big guys who could do neither in Jackson and Onuaku. The difference? They were incredibly capable inside.

Right. I think you need at least a threat to score in the post. Lydon shouldn't be in there at the 5. Coleman early in the season showed he could make a few moves against bad teams but now his knees are shot. Chukwu a fail. Even Villanova last year had Ochefu who was more competent and effective in the post. I was actually surprised how productive he was when I took a look at his stats the other day.

Jeff Capel is garbage. Tough to judge them with him

Hey, not too disappointing. We kept our streak against Colgate alive and didn't lose to Lemoyne.

Duke #1*****15-5****#17
Indiana #11**14-6****N/R
Mich St #12**12-8****N/R
UConn #18***8-11****N/R
Syracuse #19**11-9***N/R
Texas #21*****8-12***N/R

So you say something has been going around this year? Too bad it's been catching. Wish we had gotten our shots. LOL

Right. I think you need at least a threat to score in the post. Lydon shouldn't be in there at the 5. Coleman early in the season showed he could make a few moves against bad teams but now his knees are shot. Chukwu a fail. Even Villanova last year had Ochefu who was more competent and effective in the post. I was actually surprised how productive he was when I took a look at his stats the other day.

I wish the guards were more willing to feed Lydon in the post, especially when he gets these 3-4 inch mismatches on a switch. They just don't throw it to him.

I wish the guards were more willing to feed Lydon in the post, especially when he gets these 3-4 inch mismatches on a switch. They just don't throw it to him.

Yeah, I don't know what the guards are doing. Seems like feeding the post has been a systemic problem here more often than not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom