Discussion of proposed changes to transfer rule | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Discussion of proposed changes to transfer rule

I mostly agree with Dabo. Think the 1 year sit out rule is kind of necessary to stop everything from becoming a real mess. However, any school in which the coach leaves or they receive bowl sanctions, those kids should be released to any school immediately.

I mostly agree with Dabo. Think the 1 year sit out rule is kind of necessary to stop everything from becoming a real mess. However, any school in which the coach leaves or they receive bowl sanctions, those kids should be released to any school immediately.

There were coaching changes at

Oregon
FSU
UCLA
Nebraska
aTm
Tennessee
Arkansas
Miss St
Arizona State
Florida
Ole Miss

And so on.

So would this only be a little mess?

Oregon
FSU
UCLA
Nebraska
aTm
Tennessee
Arkansas
Miss St
Arizona State
Florida
Ole Miss

And so on.

It would also encourage exiting coaches to poach top players from the school that they're leaving...complete can of worms.

That's clearly the common sense approach to "solving" the issue.

Which means that the NCAA will never go for it.

I hear you with the sanctions, but what if 50 players leave the team if the coach leaves. How does that work? When you think about it, this could really help the coaches in some ways. If you fire me or don't give me more money and I leave, then the majority of your team will transfer.

Oregon
FSU
UCLA
Nebraska
aTm
Tennessee
Arkansas
Miss St
Arizona State
Florida
Ole Miss

And so on.

Ummm...yeah. Compared to every player in the country being able to leave at any moment and be eligible? If players aren't allowed to follow their coaches without sitting out a year than it's about 2% off the mess as complete free agency.

I hear you with the sanctions, but what if 50 players leave the team if the coach leaves. How does that work? When you think about it, this could really help the coaches in some ways. If you fire me or don't give me more money and I leave, then the majority of your team will transfer.

I'm not going to feel too bad if the players get some power instead of them being the only ones that have to suffer penalties to find a better situation.

I read that quote 3 times, and I still am not sure I know what he was saying. View attachment 121939

Almost everything he brought up in that article wouldn't be happening with this new proposal. You aren't going to hire a coach and then have 3 of his players come with him. There will still be a 1 year sit restriction for a standard transfer.

I don't think it's going to be a giant mess. Only situation where kids can transfer freely without having to sit is: Coach gets fired or School gets postseason ban.

Other than that, kid can transfer freely but still sit 1 year. It will now also apply to every sport.

"Ultimately, our membership needs to make the decisions," said Sell, who is athletic director at South Dakota State. "We're a group that's trying to facilitate that discussion. We didn't come out with necessarily [the] answers to the transfer issue. We came out with some really good questions to pose -- or concepts to pose -- to get feedback from the membership.

"It's vital that we get feedback."

Sell said the working group will solicit input from membership this spring after the committee on academics meets next week to solidify the working group's concepts. A proposal could be written in April ahead of the council's meeting in June, at which time a vote could occur.

Some speculation in recent months has focused on an idea that would allow immediate eligibility to all student-athletes who wished to transfer. It was met with widespread criticism from college coaches, who feared an environment rife with tampering and mass transfers.

"For us, that was never on the table," Sell said. "We've never proposed that model or gone down that path."

At the same time, Sell said, the working group has eliminated any model that would require every undergraduate transfer to sit.

"We have a one-time transfer exception rule right now," Sell said. "The question is, what do you build in, and what are some of those concepts that fall into that conversation on what would be a good exception?"

Academic criteria may factor heavily in the possible exceptions, Sell said, in addition to a player's time on campus before requesting a transfer.

Additionally, Sell said, the working group continues to support uniformity on a notification system tied to financial aid and the creation of a database to help transfers more easily connect with new schools.

If those pieces fit into a proposal and receive approval from the council, a transfer would no longer need a release from his or her former school to receive a scholarship immediately at a new school.

"That's a big deal to us," Sell said.

Sounds like the overwhelming criticism forced the group to a more moderate, reasonable position.

I am fine with limiting the ability to transfer immediately to athletes in excellent academic shape. It might even empower athletes to major in things they really want to major in, instead of easy majors some schools appear to push their athletes to (see the links from yesterday).

At the least, doing well in school would become more important, which can't be bad.

I selfishly want to allow transfers to play immediately just because we'll have our 2 most talented players on offense riding the pine this year. I'm willing to wait though to avoid opening this can of worms.

"Ultimately, our membership needs to make the decisions," said Sell, who is athletic director at South Dakota State. "We're a group that's trying to facilitate that discussion. We didn't come out with necessarily [the] answers to the transfer issue. We came out with some really good questions to pose -- or concepts to pose -- to get feedback from the membership.

"It's vital that we get feedback."

Sell said the working group will solicit input from membership this spring after the committee on academics meets next week to solidify the working group's concepts. A proposal could be written in April ahead of the council's meeting in June, at which time a vote could occur.

Some speculation in recent months has focused on an idea that would allow immediate eligibility to all student-athletes who wished to transfer. It was met with widespread criticism from college coaches, who feared an environment rife with tampering and mass transfers.

"For us, that was never on the table," Sell said. "We've never proposed that model or gone down that path."

At the same time, Sell said, the working group has eliminated any model that would require every undergraduate transfer to sit.

"We have a one-time transfer exception rule right now," Sell said. "The question is, what do you build in, and what are some of those concepts that fall into that conversation on what would be a good exception?"

Academic criteria may factor heavily in the possible exceptions, Sell said, in addition to a player's time on campus before requesting a transfer.

Additionally, Sell said, the working group continues to support uniformity on a notification system tied to financial aid and the creation of a database to help transfers more easily connect with new schools.

If those pieces fit into a proposal and receive approval from the council, a transfer would no longer need a release from his or her former school to receive a scholarship immediately at a new school.

"That's a big deal to us," Sell said.
I wonder if any student athletes are in on these discussions?

Ummm...yeah. Compared to every player in the country being able to leave at any moment and be eligible? If players aren't allowed to follow their coaches without sitting out a year than it's about 2% off the mess as complete free agency.
So what? Kids don't leave just to leave. They get comfortable. They have friends, girlfriends, etc.

The challenge of amending the NCAA’s transfer rules is enough to leave anybody’s head spinning.

So when NCAA officials traveled to Amelia Island this week to sit down and explain some of those issues to coaches and administrators at the ACC’s annual spring meetings, it left more than one person impressed, to say the least.

“I think if you’re on that transfer working group, they should qualify for a lifetime supply of Tylenol,” Duke coach David Cutcliffe joked with reporters Tuesday.

Kevin Lennon, the NCAA vice president of Division I governance, and Jane Miller, a member of the Division I Transfer Working Group, spent time going over the ins and outs of the legislation as well as different proposals being debated.

Most coaches and administrators left the meeting knowing there was still more work that needs to be done before a proposal can be presented to the NCAA board of directors for a vote in June.

“I don’t think there were any surprises,” NC State athletics director Debbie Yow said. “I just think it’s an onerous topic and you can’t find the perfect answer so it comes down to which version you would prefer, but none of them are perfect.”

Clemson athletics director Dan Radakovich added, “A lot of work left to do. [We] really have to get a lot more data. And even the transfer working group, the people there acknowledged that there’s a little more of a runway that needs to happen on some of that stuff.”

Miami athletics director Blake James is no stranger to the inner workings of college governance, having spent time on the NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee.

“It’s the big one that still out there. It’s the unknown, so I think anytime you have something where people don’t know what the end result is, I think there is the nervousness where it ends up,” James said. “Everyone has their position to what it should look like. I think right now we should all take a step back and let the transfer working group do their job and come forward with what they feel is best. And I’m sure that’s something that will be an improvement from where we’re at and we’ll support and move forward, whatever it is.”

Most NCAA sports adhere to one set of transfer rules, while a handful of other sports such as football, men’s and women’s basketball, ice hockey and baseball adhere to totally different set of codes.

The working group was formed in hopes of streamlining and unifying some of those regulations.

They’ve recommended several changes, including the creation of a database that would allow players to submit a notification of a desire to transfer. That would be a major change the current rules that allow schools to dictate where players can transfer to once granted release from their scholarships.

One idea considered was letting underclassmen who transfer to be immediately eligible to play at their new school rather than forcing them to sit out a season. It’s an unpopular viewpoint, especially among most ACC coaches.

“I think the kids should be able to transfer and do what they want, but they have to sit out,” Florida State coach Willie Taggart said. “Just like every other agreement out there, there should be consequences when you break them. But they should be able to go where they want to go.”

NC State coach Dave Doeren is happy to see that the transfer group is now taking the time to examine the ramifications of some of the proposals.

“You could tell months ago when it came out, they were trying to force a big change,” Doeren said. “And now they’ve looked at all the possible negative things that could happen and put the brakes on it and said, ‘Let’s make sure we do it right rather than rush it and have to change it later,’ which I appreciate.

“This could have, if done the wrong way, hurt a very good thing, so I’m glad that they’re listening.”

Miami coach Mark Richt says the coaches believe there will be some sort of change that takes place to the current legislation, but just how much is still up in the air.

“We don’t think it will get to the point where everyone can freely transfer without having to sit. I think the element of sitting a year will still be a part of it,” Richt said. “There are some other concessions that can be made to make it good for the student-athletes.”

As a trustee member of the board of directors of the American Football Coaches Association, Cutcliffe has familiarized himself with all of these types of issues. In fact, AFCA recently proposed its own take on possible amendments to the transfer rules, one in which players who transfer must sit out a season, but they can gain back that year of eligibility if they graduate.

“I think the kids should be able to transfer and do what they want, but they have to sit out,” Florida State coach Willie Taggart said. “Just like every other agreement out there, there should be consequences when you break them. But they should be able to go where they want to go.”

Miami coach Mark Richt says the coaches believe there will be some sort of change that takes place to the current legislation, but just how much is still up in the air.

“We don’t think it will get to the point where everyone can freely transfer without having to sit. I think the element of sitting a year will still be a part of it,” Richt said. “There are some other concessions that can be made to make it good for the student-athletes.”

As a trustee member of the board of directors of the American Football Coaches Association, Cutcliffe has familiarized himself with all of these types of issues. In fact, AFCA recently proposed its own take on possible amendments to the transfer rules, one in which players who transfer must sit out a season, but they can gain back that year of eligibility if they graduate.
Richt and Miami should just keep their mouths shut about this. Taggart and Cutcliffe are more on point and less hypocritical.

New Transfer Legislation and What It Means For NCAA Compliance - CollegeAD

The ability for a student-athlete to transfer and the rules and regulations the effect that action has been a hot topic in college athletics for a considerable time. For the first time in many years, there will be a major change to the transfer legislation which will take effect this upcoming October. The NCAA will be moving from a permission to contact system to a notification of intent to transfer system, which gives student-athletes more freedom to decide to which team they will transfer.
While the system will be implemented this fall, only a few months away, institutions and compliance officials are working to clarify the new process and how to best resolve unanswered questions in the new policy. For example, the biggest unanswered question is what the new process means for financial aid, and when financial aid can or cannot be canceled following a notification of intent to transfer.
Prior to this rule change, a student-athlete was required to get written permission to contact other institutions from their coach and institution. Without permission to contact, a student-athlete was ineligible to speak to other coaches, nor could they receive financial aid at another school until they had been a student there for one academic year. This could lead to student-athletes being unable to transfer to their preferred institution because of the financial aid block. Without the ability to receive financial aid, many student-athletes could not afford to transfer.
However, with the new transfer legislation, there is no longer a requirement for written permission to contact. Instead, student-athletes notify their coach and institution of their intent to transfer. Once the notice is given, they are free to be contacted by other universities about their interest in transferring to continue their athletic and academic career. Schools can no longer decide where a student-athlete cannot transfer by blocking permission to contact and thereby blocking the receipt of financial aid.
In addition, the NCAA has increased the severity of tampering violations. A coach speaking to a student-athlete who has not given notice of their intent to transfer will now be considered a Level 2 violation, which comes with more severe penalties than when a coach previously contacted a student-athlete who did not have a permission to contact. In spite of the NCAA changes and penalties, conferences still maintain their own transfer procedures and can still block or add requirements to transfers occurring within the conference.
Despite the clarity of the new tampering penalties, there are still unanswered questions regarding the new transfer legislation. One unanswered question is if there will soon be immediate eligibility for transfers in all sports. Or, conversely, whether student-athletes in all sports will be required to sit a year before being eligible for competition. Currently, a transfer in the sport of football, basketball, and baseball has to sit out a season of competition before being eligible to compete at the new institution. If that rule changes, it could have just as big of an effect on college athletics as the new transfer legislation does.
Likewise, there are still unanswered questions about what that the new legislation means for the student-athletes financial aid at their current institution. At what point can the institution cancel the student-athlete’s financial aid, once they give notice, or a set date after the notice is given? Coaches need the flexibility to be able to cancel aid and recruit new student-athletes at some point during the notice process. Without the ability to cancel financial aid, a coach may be unable to replace an out-going student-athlete in a timely manner.
Student-athletes being able to give notice and no longer being required to get permission to contact give student-athletes more freedom to transfer between institutions. It is the first step, in what is expected to be many steps, in loosening the transfer rules to allow more freedom of movement for student-athletes. However, with this change, there are still important unanswered questions the NCAA, institutions, and compliance professionals need to resolve.

I don't agree with the "chattel" characterization, but as to your point about 18 year olds making tough decisions: 1) young people that age are entering the military, choosing colleges or employment, getting apartments, in some cases having children, etc...so in the context of all the other life decisions they're making, where they play a sport isn't as earth-shattering as you claim; 2) yes they make mistakes and/or get treated badly and should have an out - which they do under the current system; 3) the one-year sit-out rule may need to be waived in certain situations (coaching changes) but overall, it's a good idea to give kids (and teams) an incentive to tough it out instead of bailing; and 4) for the very reasons you suggest (youthful impressionability), waiving the sit-out rule altogether would invite schools to prey on young people to transfer every time they got yelled at or pulled from a game. That's going too far the other way.
Are normal students required to sit out of band, or theatre? It's all about having control of generally poor kids with little to no financial means to address the situation. The rule is disproportionately disruptive for, and punitive of, black student athletes.
If you are academically eligible, you should be able to change schools whenever you want. Just freeze active rosters at start of each school year, so no mid-season transfer issues.

Are normal students required to sit out of band, or theatre? It's all about having control of generally poor kids with little to no financial means to address the situation. The rule is disproportionately disruptive for, and punitive of, black student athletes.
If you are academically eligible, you should be able to change schools whenever you want. Just freeze active rosters at start of each school year, so no mid-season transfer issues.
D-1 sports are a different animal than band (you suddenly sound like a liberal). Recruiting, even post-commitment - and tampering as we saw with Seton Hall and TT - are ripe opportunities for abuse and overreaching. It's hard enough to recruit, plan a roster and run a program without making the transfer situation even more chaotic (which is what free agency transfers would do). That's why the 1 year penalty is still in place.

DI Council introduces transfer legislation
Proposals mark the end of the Transfer Working Group
October 5, 2018 10:19amMichelle Brutlag Hosick

Students in specific situations could transfer and compete immediately if legislation introduced by the Division I Council is adopted. The Council also introduced a measure that would increase accountability for schools that accept some graduate transfers. The Council met this week in Indianapolis.
Several possible new rules proposed by the Division I Transfer Working Group were introduced into the 2018-19 legislative cycle. The four proposals would:
  • Allow student-athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid to transfer and play immediately if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term.
  • Allow walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons to transfer and play immediately.
  • Require schools to count financial aid for postgraduate transfers who receive athletics aid and have one season of eligibility remaining in football, women’s basketball and men’s basketball against team limits for two years, regardless of whether the student-athlete remains enrolled after exhausting athletics eligibility. However, a student who successfully completes all degree requirements before the start of the second year would not count in the second year.
  • Prohibit student-athletes in all sports from competing during the championship season for two different schools in the same academic year.
The proposals are seen as adjustments after the working group’s centerpiece legislation, the notification-of-transfer rule change, was adopted earlier this year. That change will take effect later this month.
Working group chair Justin Sell, athletics director at South Dakota State, said the final recommendations, as well as educational materials on tampering and a recommendation for a review of eligibility waiver guidelines, capped a successful tenure for the group.
“Over the last year and a half, we learned that we can work together to solve complex issues, and we accomplished so much,” Sell said. “The Association still has work to do, but this group’s legacy is very positive.”
The proposals have support from student-athletes on the committee, including former Coastal Carolina football player Nicholas Clark, co-chair of the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
“I believe these are student-athlete friendly and support an atmosphere of fairness,” Clark, who holds a degree in communications from Coastal Carolina, said. “Every meeting of the working group, the student-athlete voice was pivotal. We as the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee will continue to educate student-athletes.”
All proposals introduced by the Council will enter the regular Division I legislative cycle. The Council will vote on legislation in 2019. Most new rules are considered for adoption in April.

Here's an idea, coaches get poached or fired with existing contracts that need to be paid or bought out, right? Well make it similar for transfers, transfer will cost you 2 scholarships first year but can play right away. If teams don't want to waste an extra scholarship than they sit one year. Not sure how to handle team that loses players to transfer. Reward them with one extra scholarship for one year? Maybe a scholarship buyout, as in team getting the player has to pay education of some else currently on team? Tough to incentive that as players get pushed out and transfer to get playing time at other schools. Just a thought.

Here's an idea, coaches get poached or fired with existing contracts that need to be paid or bought out, right? Well make it similar for transfers, transfer will cost you 2 scholarships first year but can play right away. If teams don't want to waste an extra scholarship than they sit one year. Not sure how to handle team that loses players to transfer. Reward them with one extra scholarship for one year? Maybe a scholarship buyout, as in team getting the player has to pay education of some else currently on team? Tough to incentive that as players get pushed out and transfer to get playing time at other schools. Just a thought.
Why punish players. It's supposed to be about school first.

New NCAA DI Transfer Rules in Effect - Fastpitch Softball News, College Softball, Club Softball

Starting today, a student-athlete only needs to provide their university and coach their written “intent” to transfer. After this occurs, the university must enter the student-athlete’s name into a national transfer database within two business days. At this point, the student-athlete may contact and be contacted by whomever. However, inter-conference transferring rules do still apply. So things like sitting out a season of play when transferring within the same conference are still in effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom