dissolution | Syracusefan.com

dissolution

moqui

generational talent
from a thread at Casual Hoya:

At this point the following schools are full voting members: G’Town, St. John’s, Seton Hall, Nova, Provdence, DePaul, Quette, Louisville, UConn, USF and Cincy. It takes a 70% vote to dissolve the conference. The Catholic seven, if they wanted to dissolve, would need a football school. However, if one more football school bolts (and we all know that will happen possibly as soon as this week), the Catholic schools will be able to dissolve on their own. As of July 1, 2013, Temple, UCF, Memphis, SMU and Houston gain full voting rights and the Catholics would lose the supermajority. Considering that Tulane is now a full member of the league, it is time for the Catholics to move on. We can have a hoops conference that is in the top five leagues in the country, or stay in what is becoming a joke of a hoops league. The extra money – if there is any – won’t be worth sticking around for this nightmare.

So, with Louisville out, the Catholics now have 7 of 10 votes and can make their exit, cutting the future members off at the knees if they so wish.

How much money would that basketball conference be worth? Lol. 500k per school a year? Either way they face irrelevancy.

I'm trying to figure out the top 5 basketball league. G-town and marquette at the top of the conference is not that strong. Okay, but not powerful. The rest, the Hall, Depaul, P.C., even Nova at this point. That league is okay. But certainly nothing special.

How much money would that basketball conference be worth? Lol. 500k per school a year? Either way they face irrelevancy.
Just because.

How much do the Basketball only schools get from Football? While GT and Marquette are top schools, a few of them risk becoming essentially mid-majors with out the Big East name next to them. Though without SU, Pitt, and Louisville, they may risk that anyways.

I feel like Reagan right now..

Mr. Aresco, tear down this conference

Maybe this will be where the carousel ends up. No Football For You, Temple.

Big Catholic

Georgetown
Marquette
Villanova
St. John's
Providence
Seton Hall
DePaul
St. Bonaventure
St. Louis
St. Joseph's
Dayton
Fordham
Xavier

Little 10

Temple
Butler
Charlotte
Duquesne
George Washington
LaSalle
UMass
Rhode Island
Richmond
VCU

from a thread at Casual Hoya:

So, with Louisville out, the Catholics now have 7 of 10 votes and can make their exit, cutting the future members off at the knees if they so wish.
All this pure dee greed is going to come back and haunt a lot of schools . You can see the writing on the walls . A truly sad state of affairs .

Why do the BB only schools need the millions of dollars though? After all, they don't have to fund a football program, which is the biggest expense of these schools, and pushes many into the red financially.

Why do the BB only schools need the millions of dollars though? After all, they don't have to fund a football program, which is the biggest expense of these schools, and pushes many into the red financially.
football money pays for the secondary state of the art facilities that help lure the top recruits

There are two things about the current Big East I dont understand.

1) Why the basketball only schools dont separate from the football schools?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that the basketball only schools dont get a cut of the football money, they only get a percentage of the money the football teams make. With this being the case, it seems like the basketball only schools (who will form a half way decent conference by themselves) can earn the same amount of money per school while cutting their travel costs. Why pay to ship women's field hockey teams and the like to Texas?

2) Why the western teams dont leave and join a western conference?

Its hard for me to believe that the Mountain West earns less money than the Big East as it is currently constructed if Boise St. and San Diego St. stay there. The travel costs and time zone inconvenience speak for themselves in this case.

There are two things about the current Big East I dont understand.

1) Why the basketball only schools dont separate from the football schools?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that the basketball only schools dont get a cut of the football money, they only get a percentage of the money the football teams make. With this being the case, it seems like the basketball only schools (who will form a half way decent conference by themselves) can earn the same amount of money per school while cutting their travel costs. Why pay to ship women's field hockey teams and the like to Texas?

2) Why the western teams dont leave and join a western conference?

Its hard for me to believe that the Mountain West earns less money than the Big East as it is currently constructed if Boise St. and San Diego St. stay there. The travel costs and time zone inconvenience speak for themselves in this case.
I think (2) is in the works

the only thing that explains (1) is inertia. The basketball schools were devoted for decades to maintaining both the conference and their own balance of power, and those goals came to be their driving motive, regardless of the larger environment. it is what the Marxists call reification.

Screw them. The basketball onlies led by Gavitt, Tranghese and the Providence mafia are the ones that had zero vision or an understanding that football drives the bus. They took every opportunity to screw the football schools. They can wallow in their own pity.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Screw them. The basketball onlies led by Gavitt, Tranghese and the Providence mafia are the ones that had zero vision or an understanding that football drives the bus. They took every opportunity to screw the football schools. They can wallow in their own pity.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

What is the Providence mafia? Pardon my ignorance.

Maybe this will be where the carousel ends up. No Football For You, Temple.

Big Catholic

Georgetown
Marquette
Villanova
St. John's
Providence
Seton Hall
DePaul
St. Bonaventure
St. Louis
St. Joseph's
Dayton
Fordham
Xavier

Little 10

Temple
Butler
Charlotte
Duquesne
George Washington
LaSalle
UMass
Rhode Island
Richmond
VCU

The Big East hoops schools should go after Xavier and Butler, grab maybe one more school (and ditch DePaul if they wanted to) and call it a league. A hoops only league doesn't need to be more than 8-10 teams, and it's not like there's any other real prizes out there to add.

What is the Providence mafia? Pardon my ignorance.

Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, 'Nova. Aka The Providence Cabal. They made all voting decisions over the last 20 years to screw the football schools as much as they can while reaping the benefits of the exposure those same football schools provided to the conference.

Also the fact that a conference that used to cover NYC, Boston, and Washington D.C. metro areas had it's headquarters located in Providence, RI says a lot. They did not care about football, they did not care about media markets, only about keeping their grabby little providence paws on the levers and pretending like they're big shots in a world where they are actually irrelevant (and will be now).

Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, 'Nova. Aka The Providence Cabal. They made all voting decisions over the last 20 years to screw the football schools as much as they can while reaping the benefits of the exposure those same football schools provided to the conference.

Also the fact that a conference that used to cover NYC, Boston, and Washington D.C. metro areas had it's headquarters located in Providence, RI says a lot. They did not care about football, they did not care about media markets, only about keeping their grabby little providence paws on the levers and pretending like they're big shots in a world where they are actually irrelevant (and will be now).

Thanks Z. Sounds like they pinch a small nerve of yours :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom