Dividing up the minutes. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dividing up the minutes.

Has not. Jb said he might play vs lemoyne. That doesn’t mean he won’t redshirt but he’s close to 100% physically. I think he doesn’t want to redshirt.

Do you know if the new "You Can Play in 25% of the Games" Rule applies to hoops as well? I would think so, but you never know with the NCAA.

(By the way, who is the school's all-time best shooter, anyway?)

In my memory, the better SU three-point shooters have been guys who are hyper-quick shooting off a curl (Rautins, Shumpert) when they're the focus of an opposing player's face-guarding. It'll be interesting to see how he develops that skill.

Greg Kohls was probably our all-time best shooter. Back in the old days, Dennis DuVal and Jimmy Lee weren't far behind. If there had been a 3 point line, Kohls might have averaged close to 40 points a game his senior year (when I believe he averaged around 27).

In the modern (3 point) era, for me it would be Shumpert, Southerland and Matt Roe.

Yep, stats say Monroe; it'd be Roe if we're limiting it to guys with more than 200 attempts:
Syracuse Orange Career Totals 3 point percentage

Funny how excellent shooters like Nichols, Shumpert, and Rautins couldn't crack 38%. Equally funny that Eric Devendorf's weird shooting motion somehow knuckle-balled through the net over 37% of the time.

As 0307 noted, SU doesn't have a great shooting history and in theory it shouldn't be that tough for a great shooter to jump over most of those guys. It will be very interesting to see how Boeheim develops his game, and whether he's given the minutes to do so (in my memory, that's why Rautins and Nichols don't have the numbers we'd expect - unless you're Mookie Jones, it's impossible to shoot consistently when you're getting yanked in and out of the game).
I’m convinced the Dome is part of it. Have you ever shot a ball inside of it? I have. It’s horrible. It’s probably twice the size of a standard arena.

Greg Kohls was probably our all-time best shooter. Back in the old days, Dennis DuVal and Jimmy Lee weren't far behind. If there had been a 3 point line, Kohls might have averaged close to 40 points a game his senior year (when I believe he averaged around 27).

In the modern (3 point) era, for me it would be Shumpert, Southerland and Matt Roe.
If I had to pick a guy to make a shot it would probably be Lydon. Then probably Devo or gmac.

I’m convinced the Dome is part of it. Have you ever shot a ball inside of it? I have. It’s horrible. It’s probably twice the size of a standard arena.

Are our 3 point defensive numbers better at home than on the road?

I wonder. They say the great shooters are only focused on the rim and shouldn't notice the background space, but I'm not one of the great shooters and remember the depth perception being pretty funky in my limited Dome court time.

Paging SWC: any insight into home/away shooting splits for the guys on that list?

If I had to pick a guy to make a shot it would probably be Lydon. Then probably Devo or gmac.

That's a different standard. Making "one shot", I would go with Devo. Gerry Mac had balls of stone, and he made a lot of clutch shots, but he also had a lot of 3 for 14 nights. Rico Suave was great as a frosh, but a little reluctant to shoot as a soph. He doesn't make my top 5.

Has not. Jb said he might play vs lemoyne. That doesn’t mean he won’t redshirt but he’s close to 100% physically. I think he doesn’t want to redshirt.

If he doesn't redshirt he's wasting a year... Because he's not playing this year unless Carey or Howard don't recover...

Anyone else surprised that Dolezaj started on the bench? Looks like Hughes is going to primarily play SF, otherwise why not put him at the 2 with Battle taking over for Howard? I love Dolezaj but with Buddy the likely backup at the 2 and Hughes playing the 3, his minutes may shrink the most.

Yep, stats say Monroe; it'd be Roe if we're limiting it to guys with more than 200 attempts:
Syracuse Orange Career Totals 3 point percentage

Funny how excellent shooters like Nichols, Shumpert, and Rautins couldn't crack 38%. Equally funny that Eric Devendorf's weird shooting motion somehow knuckle-balled through the net over 37% of the time.

As 0307 noted, SU doesn't have a great shooting history and in theory it shouldn't be that tough for a great shooter to jump over most of those guys. It will be very interesting to see how Boeheim develops his game, and whether he's given the minutes to do so (in my memory, that's why Rautins and Nichols don't have the numbers we'd expect - unless you're Mookie Jones, it's impossible to shoot consistently when you're getting yanked in and out of the game).

It is VERY important to remember that the initial 3pt line in college was quite a bit closer than it is now.
And it wasn't as integral a part of most teams' offenses for many years as it is now, so there wasn't as much focus on defending against it either.
"Money" Monroe & Roe both benefited from that - and also that they were like the 4th or 5th scoring option for opposing coaches & teams to have to worry about.

Lastly - 40% is a VERY high bar to set for 3pt shooting, so no -
it's not actually surprising at all that many/most college players can't average that over a career.

18 teams shot 40% alone last year in CBB. 46 shot 38% or higher. Outside of a few guys we really haven't seen that great of shooting at Syracuse as say a school like Villanova usually has

My guess is the 4 'stars' are going to get minutes in the low 30's. Out of an available 200 minutes, that's about 120 between Frank, Tyus, Eli, and Oshae. The centers will see a close to 50/50 split for their 40 minutes. That leaves 40-ish minutes for the remaining bench players.

Assuming no injuries, Braswell will be on the outside looking in. I'd expect Marek, Buddy, and Carey to be looking at 12-ish mpg each. Boeheim will have the luxury of being able to ride hot hands, but these averages would make the most sense, imo. If the centers get hurt or if the team plays small-ball for significant chunks of time, then we're looking at some different PT splits.

JB's comfort zone has always been 7 guys and an 8th inserted more or less to give others a blow or if one or more is in foul trouble. I've been watching for over 40 years...once ACC play gets here, his rotation will be 7 guys with meaningful minutes (in the teens or more) and the 8th or 9th guy used sparingly/single digit minutes.

There were times we struggled with getting by the St. Rose guys. Even Tyus. Frank is not quicker than Tyus. Carey is going to help out big time and will be needed more than some think or want to admit, IMO.

The nucleus of starters will get their minutes, but the foe and game situation will dictate which 5 players are on the court at any one time. Unlike last season, where the subs were just to give the starters a breather or keep them out of foul trouble, JB can situationally insert players who posess different skill sets. I can foresee games where Buddy barely sees the floor, and other games (e.g., teams that try to zone us), where he gets meaningful minutes.

There were times we struggled with getting by the St. Rose guys. Even Tyus. Frank is not quicker than Tyus. Carey is going to help out big time and will be needed more than some think or want to admit, IMO.

Carey's PT will be determined by his defense, imo. He's talented offensively and quicker than Frank and Tyus but if he doesn't get the job done at the top of the zone, he won't be on the court for extended stretches.

I think minutes in the low teens would be a good goal for Carey. His ceiling is probably about 20 mpg. 10 at PG and 10 at SG.

Carey's PT will be determined by his defense, imo. He's talented offensively and quicker than Frank and Tyus but if he doesn't get the job done at the top of the zone, he won't be on the court for extended stretches.

I think minutes in the low teens would be a good goal for Carey. His ceiling is probably about 20 mpg. 10 at PG and 10 at SG.

Agreed. He needs to show he can be trusted like you said. Can’t wait to see this guy.

That ceiling is higher than I'd estimate - MCW only got about 10 mins/game as a Frosh (and had a bunch of DNP's to boot), and Dion averaged about 16 mins.
Dion had a Soph Triche & Jr Scoop ahead of him, while Jalen has Jr. Ty & Sr. Frank - neither of whom will get less than 30-32 mins a game.

With Frank, Tyus, and potentially Hughes ahead of him in the minutes pecking order, he'll be lucky to hit 15 as a ceiling.

With all of us knowing how Boeheim do, and also with Buddy in need of some time at the 2, I'm going to say that Jalen likely only averages in the 10-12 minutes/game range for the season.

In the end I think he mostly plays seven. But like 2010 or 2012, the sixth and seventh man will play plenty of minutes compared to what they have in recent years.
In 2012, he really played 8 guys substantial minutes, with Rakeem, the 9th man, getting more of a cursory start, though he played more in the tourney after Fab was ruled ineligible: Southerland was the 8th man and he got regular minutes alongside CJ and Kris Joseph at the forward spots.

3P shooter? IMO, AWIII for one season. That guy was money in the bank if he was left open at all.

DNich, Shump, Rautins, Marius are all right there though among the guys that were really shooting each game. To really be better than those guys and not make it an argument ... that's going to be a really special season.
Greg Monroe too. People always forget about him because the 3-pt line was implemented during his time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom