Dividing up the minutes. | Syracusefan.com

Dividing up the minutes.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Not even going to attempt to figure this out but let's just hope we have 10 guys going balls to the wall everyday at the Carmelo Center. Could be one of our deepest teams ever.

Not even going to attempt to figure this out but let's just hope we have 10 guys going balls to the wall everyday at the Carmelo Center. Could be one of our deepest teams ever.

Boeheim said it himself -- he's going to play 9.

That's an easy thing to do when you have 9 players who are all capable of registering double digits. And that's what we have.

It's going to be a special team, year, and season.

I thought I had the minutes figured out before tonight. But with Buddy’s shooting tonight and Hughes play and starting over Marek, I’m gonna have to figure it all out again. Won’t be easy.

In the end I think he mostly plays seven. But like 2010 or 2012, the sixth and seventh man will play plenty of minutes compared to what they have in recent years.

In the end I think he mostly plays seven. But like 2010 or 2012, the sixth and seventh man will play plenty of minutes compared to what they have in recent years.

Not a chance -- 8 minimum every game, and 9 most games.

Marek [or Hughes], Carey, and Sidibe will play every game this year, barring injury. That's 8. Boeheim is 9.

Just finished watching the replay. Yeah Buddy is impressive. Not the best athlete but smart and that stroke is beautiful. One of the best looking strokes anywhere/anytime. Looks stronger than I expected and more put together than some of the other beanpoles. Not sure what to think about that!

Hughes is smooth. Looks really comfortable. Not a real explosive guy but good enough and seems to do EVERYTHING well. He’ll be a tough cover for teams.

Tyus was not good in all phases but he was playing out of position.

Oshae was really good. Needs to still make better decisions.

Centers still make some offensive blunders but this kind of team is tough to play against for them. Sidibe has a LOT of rust needing to be worn off understandably so. Still falls down too easily.

Maybe just going to get the ball instead of boxing out is the way to go. So many beanpoles that were getting rooted out tonight even VS St. Rose.

Some bad shots and rust of course but at times we saw some really unselfish and crisp ball movement. Really nice.

I still will worry if/when penetration gets shut down or we struggle getting by guys. Not a lot of secondary screening and off ball screening/cutting. A scheme issue perpetually it seems and there WILL be games where we will be very easy to guard. Those are the games where you hope the contested threes off of not moving a defense do go down. I know this was game 1 and no PGs but it’s a possible Achilles’ heel along with potentially not enough post scoring.

I thought this was pretty valuable actually. Tyus struggling mightily and the others picking up the slack. St. Rose moved the ball well all game. Really crisp. Feisty. The type of mid-major team that can give you fits. Was a good test for the D. They missed a lot of open looks but that’s a pretty organized and sound team, IMO. Changed defenses. Buddy struggled a little on D at times but this was game 1 and won’t be starting outside of these exhibitions. He’ll get lots of minutes, though.

Can’t wait to see the two PGs join the group. LGO!

Last edited:
Has there been any official word that Howard Washington will redshirt this year?

Has there been any official word that Howard Washington will redshirt this year?

Has not. Jb said he might play vs lemoyne. That doesn’t mean he won’t redshirt but he’s close to 100% physically. I think he doesn’t want to redshirt.

Jimmy will match up his guys to fit what he needs vs the team they are playing. Battle/Bris 35+ Frank 32+ and the rest depending on what is working.

I said it once and I’ll never bring it up again, but Buddy will be the best shooter this school has ever seen. EVER
Better than, better than . . . GIRARD?? Ooh, won’t that be fun to see?

And I think you can bring up Buddy’s great shooting as often as you want! Your followers won’t criticize you for it and redundant exclamations of greatness is what the board lives for.

I said it once and I’ll never bring it up again, but Buddy will be the best shooter this school has ever seen. EVER

Bold.

I really liked what I saw, he's clearly a capable contributor right now. But he's probably got a long way to go before he can break into that crowd. (By the way, who is the school's all-time best shooter, anyway?) As he gets any kind of defensive attention, it'll be interesting to see how he's able to create space for a shot. With that wide base, he seems like mostly a catch-and-shoot player for the time being, though he made great use of using an extra dribble or two to set up a 15-footer.

In my memory, the better SU three-point shooters have been guys who are hyper-quick shooting off a curl (Rautins, Shumpert) when they're the focus of an opposing player's face-guarding. It'll be interesting to see how he develops that skill.

I really hope they find a way to get Battle/Howard/Brissett/Hughes down to 30-32 most games. then the centers play about 32 total with a bit of Doli in the middle when we need quickness so that he and Carey Buddy get the 10-12 they need to get better too.

if you play the big 4 35min again you will get 7-8 min of sloppy play from each like always

Bold.

I really liked what I saw, he's clearly a capable contributor right now. But he's probably got a long way to go before he can break into that crowd. (By the way, who is the school's all-time best shooter, anyway?) As he gets any kind of defensive attention, it'll be interesting to see how he's able to create space for a shot. With that wide base, he seems like mostly a catch-and-shoot player for the time being, though he made great use of using an extra dribble or two to set up a 15-footer.

In my memory, the better SU three-point shooters have been guys who are hyper-quick shooting off a curl (Rautins, Shumpert) when they're the focus of an opposing player's face-guarding. It'll be interesting to see how he develops that skill.
Buddy's biggest issue is how many minutes that he will be able to play as a freshman. I would think it would only be when Battle is sitting or if Battle slides to the three when Hughes sits. But that might not even happen if JAB goes with Battle at the 2, OB at the 3, MD at the 4 when Eli is not in there.. I wouldn't think BB logs any minutes at the 3 but if he shows if he is capable on both ends of the court how do you not play him.

Buddy's biggest issue is how many minutes that he will be able to play as a freshman. I would think it would only be when Battle is sitting or if Battle slides to the three when Hughes sits. But that might not even happen if JAB goes with Battle at the 2, OB at the 3, MD at the 4 when Eli is not in there.. I wouldn't think BB logs any minutes at the 3 but if he shows if he is capable on both ends of the court how do you not play him.

I'm thinking (hoping) that in addition to learning how to play zone and generally function within the offense that splitting time between two positions would be a bridge too far. Because honestly that'll spread anybody a little thin and I'd rather he not waste developmental time on the back line of the zone.

But it's anybody's guess. Kid can obviously play and I get the sense that Boeheim will give him every opportunity to be out there.

On a related note, I'm on record as hating the undersized center experiment, but last night makes me think that we haven't seen the last of Dolezaj at the 5.

Bold.

We really haven't had that many great shooters compared to other schools. It hasn't been a strength outside of maybe Gbinije's SR year and Rautins SR year.

Even in 11-12 Triche and Waiters were our best shooters on that great team and they weren't knockdown guys.

Regarding Buddy, a very pleasant surprise though you have to consider the competition. Still, coaches sons seem to play better than you'd expect and above their athleticism- Alford, Beilein (sp?), Hurley, Drew, I'm sure I'm forgetting many others. Then there was Maravich- he was supposed to be great and he was more than great.

Regarding Buddy, a very pleasant surprise though you have to consider the competition. Still, coaches sons seem to play better than you'd expect and above their athleticism- Alford, Beilein (sp?), Hurley, Drew, I'm sure I'm forgetting many others. Then there was Maravich- he was supposed to be great and he was more than great.

It shouldn’t be a surprise. He was the best shooter in the EYBL his senior year in a league that included all the Duke hyped recruits, Jalen Carey etc...

By the way, who is the school's all-time best shooter, anyway?
3P shooter? IMO, AWIII for one season. That guy was money in the bank if he was left open at all.

DNich, Shump, Rautins, Marius are all right there though among the guys that were really shooting each game. To really be better than those guys and not make it an argument ... that's going to be a really special season.

We really haven't had that many great shooters compared to other schools. It hasn't been a strength outside of maybe Gbinije's SR year and Rautins SR year.

Even in 11-12 Triche and Waiters were our best shooters on that great team and they weren't knockdown guys.

Yeah, I just went to look at the all-time stats to answer my own question and it's funny how many 35% "eh, he's an OK option but not a great shooter" types are in the top 20. If we're counting guys without a lot of attempts, the last decade has changed the record book: Wes Johnson, John Gillon, Andrew White, and Lydon are all in the top 10.

3P shooter? IMO, AWIII for one season. That guy was money in the bank if he was left open at all.

DNich, Shump, Rautins, Marius are all right there though among the guys that were really shooting each game. To really be better than those guys and not make it an argument ... that's going to be a really special season.
Roe, Monroe,

Roe, Monroe,

Yep, stats say Monroe; it'd be Roe if we're limiting it to guys with more than 200 attempts:
Syracuse Orange Career Totals 3 point percentage

Funny how excellent shooters like Nichols, Shumpert, and Rautins couldn't crack 38%. Equally funny that Eric Devendorf's weird shooting motion somehow knuckle-balled through the net over 37% of the time.

As 0307 noted, SU doesn't have a great shooting history and in theory it shouldn't be that tough for a great shooter to jump over most of those guys. It will be very interesting to see how Boeheim develops his game, and whether he's given the minutes to do so (in my memory, that's why Rautins and Nichols don't have the numbers we'd expect - unless you're Mookie Jones, it's impossible to shoot consistently when you're getting yanked in and out of the game).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom