Class of 2021 - DL Jaelin Moss (NY) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/30/20) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 DL Jaelin Moss (NY) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/30/20)

Gotta pass
This is a player the team will wait for. Cousin to the chandler brothers, ny player, great size. Even if he does not make grades maybe he’s goes to a prep school and comes in 2022.

I wouldn't be surprised to see no more scholarships extended for the 2021 class.

Yeah I think we all need to consider how young the team is too. What you don't want to do is keep issuing scholarships that put us at 90-95 players on the roster that after the COVID freebies clear this year we're at a position where we can only bring in a really small class. Have to be careful as far as roster balance vs graduating classes.

Maybe this isn't as much an issue though as in the past with the portal.

I could see the team add 2 to 3 players from the portal after July 1. Feel coaches want to wait to see who leaves the team and all players in the portal prior extending additional offers. Would not surprise me if several new names appear on the roster at fall camp.

Hoping too as well. And if he doesn't make it to the Cuse this year, hopefully next year will work out.

Hoping too as well. And if he doesn't make it to the Cuse this year, hopefully next year will work out.

didnt we used to have a bunch of guys go the prep route and stay committed. Eg, Milford academy. Is that not a thing anymore?

Is there any update if he will qualify?

I think his graduation date is on the 27th. Not a stalker on social media, but I think I read that.

Of course, he may have to do more than just graduate to qualify for admission to SU.

The kids I've known who've gone the prep school route have reclass'd and not graduated. I 'guess' if he isn't qualified he's going the JUCO route. Does anyone who might know about these things know if he could still prep to boost test score or GPA?

(by the way, with most kids having had SAT/ACT tests cancelled this year because of COVID, I wonder what/how the NCAA qualification standards changed. (this was actually a real interesting thing I dealt with this year. Many if not all Northern schools said SAT scores were optional or not required at all. Southern schools still wanted them but admissions were willing to bend if you pleaded your case.) For those who don't know SAT tests in NY were canceled starting in about Sept/Oct 2020 and I think they started testing again in April 2021. By that time, most colleges were way past that point for seniors. I wonder how big D1 kids who need qualifying test scores have worked around that? It was sort of nutty for schools who required minimum SAT scores. Some were using PSAT scores from junior year.

The kids I've known who've gone the prep school route have reclass'd and not graduated. I 'guess' if he isn't qualified he's going the JUCO route. Does anyone who might know about these things know if he could still prep to boost test score or GPA?

(by the way, with most kids having had SAT/ACT tests cancelled this year because of COVID, I wonder what/how the NCAA qualification standards changed. (this was actually a real interesting thing I dealt with this year. Many if not all Northern schools said SAT scores were optional or not required at all. Southern schools still wanted them but admissions were willing to bend if you pleaded your case.) For those who don't know SAT tests in NY were canceled starting in about Sept/Oct 2020 and I think they started testing again in April 2021. By that time, most colleges were way past that point for seniors. I wonder how big D1 kids who need qualifying test scores have worked around that?

My daughter just graduated HS last Friday. (VERY proud Dad here!!)

She was originally set to take her SAT's on Saturday 3/14/20 -
literally the day after the NY shutdown in March. UGH.

However - she was able to reschedule them to this past November, and took them at a HS that was a 35-40 minute drive away, as it was the 'closest' school that was offering the test, and that had openings.
They also had December as an option, but she wanted to get it done, so that the scores would come back in time to use towards her college applications.

But yes - many if not all of the colleges she applied to were SAT scores optional for this year.

(she did very well, and we knew she would, so we wanted to have them to submit on her behalf. Other kids may be getting a HUGE break by not having test scores being required.)

(by the way, with most kids having had SAT/ACT tests cancelled this year because of COVID, I wonder what/how the NCAA qualification standards changed. (this was actually a real interesting thing I dealt with this year. Many if not all Northern schools said SAT scores were optional or not required at all. Southern schools still wanted them but admissions were willing to bend if you pleaded your case.) For those who don't know SAT tests in NY were canceled starting in about Sept/Oct 2020 and I think they started testing again in April 2021. By that time, most colleges were way past that point for seniors. I wonder how big D1 kids who need qualifying test scores have worked around that? It was sort of nutty for schools who required minimum SAT scores. Some were using PSAT scores from junior year.

The NCAA announced Monday that 2021 recruits won’t be required to take the SAT or ACT in order to be eligible for Division I or II sports.

The decision came in the wake of numerous standardized tests getting canceled across the country due to COVID-19’s prolonged outbreak.

Student-athletes will be required by the NCAA to uphold a 2.3 GPA to remain academically eligible at the Division I level. Division II student-athletes will need a 2.2 GPA to keep their eligibility.

According to the release, nearly 23 percent of all Division I schools have adopted test-optional policies since mid-July for this academic year, a potential shift towards more and more schools moving away from standardized tests coming years.

So…can he play this fall or at least participate?
I glanced but did not glean.
Is he legible, eligible, edgeable or whatever?

My daughter just graduated HS last Friday. (VERY proud Dad here!!)

She was originally set to take her SAT's on Saturday 3/14/20 -
literally the day after the NY shutdown in March. UGH.

However - she was able to reschedule them to this past November, and took them at a HS that was a 35-40 minute drive away, as it was the 'closest' school that was offering the test, and that had openings.
They also had December as an option, but she wanted to get it done, so that the scores would come back in time to use towards her college applications.

But yes - many if not all of the colleges she applied to were SAT scores optional for this year.

(she did very well, and we knew she would, so we wanted to have them to submit on her behalf. Other kids may be getting a HUGE break by not having test scores being required.)

Congrats! My kid just graduated last week as well. When NY shut test centers down he was told he could take it in Iowa. lol. He wanted to take the test to 'help' himself but was shut out. A school he applied to legit used his PSAT score in the process.

**College admissions must have had a heck of a time this year. The high school I'm involved (enrollment 850) had record numbers of kids with basically failing GPAs, including honor roll students. Virtual learning was a complete disaster...most people are just unaware how bad it was. It was the same story no matter who I talk to in all the schools around the capital district.

Last edited:
Congrats! My kid just graduated last week as well. When NY shut test centers down he was told he could take it in Iowa. lol. He wanted to take the test to 'help' himself but was shut out. A school he applied to legit used his PSAT score in the process.

**College admissions must have had a heck of a time this year. The high school I'm involved (enrollment 850) had record numbers of kids with basically failing GPAs, including honor roll students. Virtual learning was a complete disaster...most people are just unaware how bad it was. It was the same story no matter who I talk to in all the schools around the capital district.
I'm sure virtual learning wasn't as valuable in many respects as in class teaching but it could actually have been more beneficial in other ways. And I'd say in most cases virtual learning wasn't a complete disaster because of the school and the teachers. Mostly these kids were failing because many kids didn't do **** on there own. They had no one looking over there shoulder making them immediately accountable and wouldn't work on there own. My wife is a virtual teacher and i've heard about it way too much. She felt helpless because no matter what she did to follow up with the student or the parents nothing seemed to make much of a difference. Even many of her "honors" kids gave zero effort and didn't do squat. Many instances it was cases where the parents were notified many times of the situation and never bothered to respond. She said she felt basically like a glorified truency officer with non stop follow up getting no results.