Class of 2017 - DL Lorenzo Hernandez (NJ) Transferring from Monmouth to WKU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 DL Lorenzo Hernandez (NJ) Transferring from Monmouth to WKU

Hey, if he's got the quickness and technique, turn him loose at DE.
Like CO sez above...Roscoe part 2.
He reminds me more of Josh Black than Roscoe. Looks big enough to fill in some at DT but quick enough to play some DE too.

I think the staff really likes our young DL but needed a stop gap for a year to let them develop a bit more before turning things over to the new generation completely.

He reminds me more of Josh Black than Roscoe. Looks big enough to fill in some at DT but quick enough to play some DE too.

I think the staff really likes our young DL but needed a stop gap for a year to let them develop a bit more before turning things over to the new generation completely.
That was my take too. He can be an instant rotation guy. We need some older bodies in there.

He looks like he can fit the bill as 2 deep depth and a spot starter. I think we need that as much as another full time starter as well.

And who knows maybe Nolton or Jaquez will be ready as true frosh. Both are early enrollees.

He looks like he can fit the bill as 2 deep depth and a spot starter. I think we need that as much as another full time starter as well.

And who knows maybe Nolton or Jaquez will be ready as true frosh. Both are early enrollees.
As much as I like the additions of Nolton and Jaquez as prospects, I personally don't have much faith they will have much of an impact at all as true frosh coming in at approximately 225 lbs and 238 lbs respectively on the DL. We need to some additions with more bulk for this year. I feel like if we get one or two unfavorable injuries then we'd be screwed.

As much as I like the additions of Nolton and Jaquez as prospects, I personally don't have much faith they will have much of an impact at all as true frosh coming in at approximately 225 lbs and 238 lbs respectively on the DL. We need to some additions with more bulk for this year. I feel like if we get one or two unfavorable injuries then we'd be screwed.

Agree in principle. Neither line is where it is reasonable to expect true freshmen to come in and contribute at a high level, although there are exceptions.

In the case of both of these incoming recruits, I do think that them being on campus for spring semester could make a difference. Not only will they get immersed in the strength and conditioning program, they'll also have the opportunity to participate in spring practice and adjust to the speed of the game. So I wouldn't rule out them being able to make a run at the 2 deep in the fall.

Last edited:
They will add weight and strength in the coming months. Hopefully enough to make them candidates to contribute this year.

I thought I read in a post Nolton was 240 now. If that’s correct I could see him getting up to 250 plus come august.

It’s January. You can do a lot with adding on good weight in 6 months.

For comparison Kingsley was 6’4 260 as a 5th year senior. If Nolton is already to 240 and slated for DE 20 pounds in 6 months is nothing.

Cody Roscoe part 2 ?
I would take a few Cody Roscoes if they were as successful as he was this past season. Good attitude and playing with a little chip on his shoulder proving he had what it takes to contribute on a P5 team

Last edited:
All Pro, Dwight Freeney weighed 255# when he played at Syracuse. Not saying Hernandez is the equivalent of Dwight; just saying he could be the type of contributor we need him to be!

It’s January. You can do a lot with adding on good weight in 6 months.

For comparison Kingsley was 6’4 260 as a 5th year senior. If Nolton is already to 240 and slated for DE 20 pounds in 6 months is nothing.
Sure its 'possible'. I understand what your saying. Maybe...they can add a bunch of good muscle. But what are the chances really? Just knowing what the reported weights are now and what kids typically end up weighing by this coming fall and I don't think its all that likely they will be that much heavier that quickly and be major contributors. And in the 3-3-5 base sets its preferable to have a bit more bulk than a 4-3 DE usually calls for. Now can these guys be situational pass rushers here and there, sure I can see that much more reasonably. I just don't expect large production from them their true frosh years. So we need to bring in somebody with more size and experience. We can't count on hopefully is all I'm saying.

Sure its 'possible'. I understand what your saying. Maybe...they can add a bunch of good muscle. But what are the chances really? Just knowing what the reported weights are now and what kids typically end up weighing by this coming fall and I don't think its all that likely they will be that much heavier that quickly and be major contributors. And in the 3-3-5 base sets its preferable to have a bit more bulk than a 4-3 DE usually calls for. Now can these guys be situational pass rushers here and there, sure I can see that much more reasonably. I just don't expect large production from them their true frosh years. So we need to bring in somebody with more size and experience. We can't count on hopefully is all I'm saying.
So basically Lorenzo Hernandez, WE NEED YOU! Come join us!

Uh, we went to a 3-3-5, specifically because you don’t need 300 pounders on the DL to run it well.

Because we’ve never been able to get those big DL dudes on the regular.

You are making up for lack of size, with speed, misdirection, and chaos - the rush could come from anywhere.

I’m not a huge fan of 1 year flyers, unless they are instant impact. I’d prefer they be with the team a few years, to get acclimated. However, we need depth on the line, so I get it.

Plus, my feelings on 1 year guys are strictly predicated on me being a fan. I’d like to get to know a player, see their development.
I think it's fine. We got young guys, he might be able to bridge to when they're ready to contribute. Let them marinate a little bit longer.

Uh, we went to a 3-3-5, specifically because you don’t need 300 pounders on the DL to run it well.

Because we’ve never been able to get those big DL dudes on the regular.

You are making up for lack of size, with speed, misdirection, and chaos - the rush could come from anywhere.
Yes you need less bigs. One less DT. I still feel optimaly the ends still needs to be at least the same weight a 4-3 end, but preferably a bit bigger in my opinion. Finding athletic guys in the 255-275 range is easier than finding 280+ guys.

225-245 lbs DE in this system are more situational in my opinion.

Depending on the kid and the nutrition, I think it’s reasonable a kid could gain 15-20 lbs of muscle this spring with the S&C.

Monmouth has a very strong Athletic Department all of the sudden.

Monmouth has a very strong Athletic Department all of the sudden.
All of the sudden?

Men’s soccer has been ranked Top 50 perennially pretty much. Women’s soccer is pretty good within their league. Baseball has some MLB players and is always in the mix among top Northeast programs. MBB was a borderline at-large team about 4-5 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom