DL Steve Linton transferring from Texas Tech to Baylor | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

DL Steve Linton transferring from Texas Tech to Baylor

I posted this a long time ago, but the head coach of TT went on and on and on about how great Steve was. That he was basically a lock for the NFL and was going to kill it for them.

Yup, it's in this thread.

Sounds like TT is bullish on Linton and think he wasnot a scheme fit at SU. I didn't think losing him was a big deal but when you combine it w Geer it hurts.

Last edited:
Interesting in that we had 3-4 guys portal out from the defense last year that were difference makers here, and 2 were non factors (Carter and Chestnut) and Linton basically did similar to what he did while he was here and ends up portaling again. Geer's production went down dramatically at South Carolina as well.

So maybe we overvalued all these guys.
Well these “powerhouse teams” evaluated them, paid them plenty to leave so they had to have valued them. If we overvalued them, then their new teams and they themselves were even more guilty. Maybe it’s more difficult to learn a new system, get to coordinate with new teammates in a few months after being in a totally different environment for a few years. Transferring and having to sit out a year to adjust to a new environment maybe isn’t really punitive but for many players, it very well maybe beneficial. Just an opinion.

Well these “powerhouse teams” evaluated them, paid them plenty to leave so they had to have valued them. If we overvalued them, then their new teams and they themselves were even more guilty. Maybe it’s more difficult to learn a new system, get to coordinate with new teammates in a few months after being in a totally different environment for a few years. Transferring and having to sit out a year to adjust to a new environment maybe isn’t really punitive but for many players, it very well maybe beneficial. Just an opinion.
Yeah, sitting a year may often be good for both sides, but when you're paying a guy you won't be that patient. Welcome to the climate of free agency in college sports.

Yeah, sitting a year may often be good for both sides, but when you're paying a guy you won't be that patient. Welcome to the climate of free agency in college sports.
This is their career choice. Real world won’t let a free agent sit a year to get acclimated.

It’s more a statement on the talent gap between Syracuse and power programs and level of competition between the ACC & the SEC/B1G when some of our best players are paid to transfer to those types or programs and then don’t make an impact.

Geer/Linton weren’t as lauded but were able to be rotational players at what I consider to be peer or close to peer programs currently.

Carter/Chestnut literally had no impact at top 10 type programs.

This is the work Fran has cut out for him. Being a top 3 team / winning the ACC is one benchmark but if the goal is once getting to the playoff that we actually win games, then we will need a massive roster overhaul over time. This is the difference in program expectations between what Dino was satisfied with and what Fran wants to build.

This is their career choice. Real world won’t let a free agent sit a year to get acclimated.
Yeah, even if it would help the team in the long run. How good was it for us to have Wes Johnson ready to go in 2010? And that was basketball where it's probably easier to integrate a player. But that's the world we're in now, and guys need to consider that before leaving a place where things are going well for them.

Yeah, even if it would help the team in the long run. How good was it for us to have Wes Johnson ready to go in 2010? And that was basketball where it's probably easier to integrate a player. But that's the world we're in now, and guys need to consider that before leaving a place where things are going well for them.
Yup, Wes Johnson is a great example. People think portal is plug and play. But that’s the exception not the rule. It takes time to acclimate. Turning over the football and basketball rosters to the point where we’re actually good again is going to take a while.

Yup, Wes Johnson is a great example. People think portal is plug and play. But that’s the exception not the rule. It takes time to acclimate. Turning over the football and basketball rosters to the point where we’re actually good again is going to take a while.
I bet It will show up even more when 22 to 23year olds won’t be getting that extra Covid 5th year.

I guess Lubbock wasn’t remote enough so he had to take the next step and go to Waco.

If he gets unlimited eligibility, I figure El Paso or Santa Fe is the next location.

Congrats to Steve. I bet the tacos are tasty down there.
I know you're just bustin balls, but Waco is probably less remote than Lubbock. It's quite a bit closer to Dallas and Austin.

I guess Lubbock wasn’t remote enough so he had to take the next step and go to Waco.

If he gets unlimited eligibility, I figure El Paso or Santa Fe is the next location.

Congrats to Steve. I bet the tacos are tasty down there.

I like tacos

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom