DLine | Syracusefan.com

DLine

kcsu

Living Legend
Im posting on the Ol and DL this morning because as we all know they are the keys to our season. I truly believe that we have enough other talent that if these two units can improve significantly over last year we have a chance to win 6 or more games.
It is my opinion that this is the deepest group of DL players that we have had in the past eight years. Finding the right combination is the key but we really have some great depth this year and i expect a few players who are on the verge of becoming very good if not special players. So here we go. Again this is based on everyone being healthy for the first game. Starters will be as follows. NT Crume, DT Bromley, Strong side DE Goggins, Weak Side DE Brandon Sharpe. I think that this spring we are going to see a lot of position experimenting. I can see both Goggins and Bromley getting looks on the outside and depending on how Crume, Sloan if he remains eligible, Boatman, Super Zion, and Coleman play we may just be in position to move both of those guys to the outside. MPB was the player D player of the year in his conference and both Manley and especially Hilliard at 6-6 and 250 are intriguing players at DE. Im not sure what to expect from Donnie Simmons but if the kid is as fast and good off the edge as reported you have to think he will see duty on passing downs. When you have Crume, Sloan, and Jones all well over 300 pounds in the middle combined with Goggins, Bromley, and Boatman you have a solid six guys to rotate and stay fresh at the NT and DT positions. On the outside we have Sharpe who i expect great things out of, Robinson who is healthy has shown potential, Simmons as a pure speed guy, The JC D player of the year in MPB, and Two highly recruited frosh in Manley and Hilliard both of which have D1 size coming into the program. All in all not a bad mix of players for Shafer and crew to play with. This unit is in my opinion going to be the strength of our team.

While I'd love to see the JUCO x-fers come in and excel right away, I have my doubts that they'll even contribute. I have no football/observational basis for this, it just seems to me that when we've brought in JUCO's, and admittedly it's not common past practice, they need a year to redshirt and adjust to the system as well as the speed and strength of the game. Same with frosh. I am heartened by the size and apparent athleticism of this group though, and it will be an interesting battle to watch.

Thankfully we got rid of Chandler - with his 225 rep showing he was obviously a weak link for us this year.

Couldn't resist :D

Thankfully we got rid of Chandler - with his 225 rep showing he was obviously a weak link for us this year.

Couldn't resist :D
Hey i wish he was back as he is a very good college player long term i want to see what Hilliard can do he is the one that i have my eye on. 6-6 250 coming in as a true frosh from a very good HS. Kid could easily end up 6-7 285 with very good speed by his JR year. Monster in the making.

Im posting on the Ol and DL this morning because as we all know they are the keys to our season. I truly believe that we have enough other talent that if these two units can improve significantly over last year we have a chance to win 6 or more games.
It is my opinion that this is the deepest group of DL players that we have had in the past eight years. Finding the right combination is the key but we really have some great depth this year and i expect a few players who are on the verge of becoming very good if not special players. So here we go. Again this is based on everyone being healthy for the first game. Starters will be as follows. NT Crume, DT Bromley, Strong side DE Goggins, Weak Side DE Brandon Sharpe. I think that this spring we are going to see a lot of position experimenting. I can see both Goggins and Bromley getting looks on the outside and depending on how Crume, Sloan if he remains eligible, Boatman, Super Zion, and Coleman play we may just be in position to move both of those guys to the outside. MPB was the player D player of the year in his conference and both Manley and especially Hilliard at 6-6 and 250 are intriguing players at DE. Im not sure what to expect from Donnie Simmons but if the kid is as fast and good off the edge as reported you have to think he will see duty on passing downs. When you have Crume, Sloan, and Jones all well over 300 pounds in the middle combined with Goggins, Bromley, and Boatman you have a solid six guys to rotate and stay fresh at the NT and DT positions. On the outside we have Sharpe who i expect great things out of, Robinson who is healthy has shown potential, Simmons as a pure speed guy, The JC D player of the year in MPB, and Two highly recruited frosh in Manley and Hilliard both of which have D1 size coming into the program. All in all not a bad mix of players for Shafer and crew to play with. This unit is in my opinion going to be the strength of our team.
I agree with some of what you say, but you are forgetting about Micah Robinson. The kid is built in the same frame as Chan Jones, tall with long arms, and he seems to have more speed than Chan (overheard Chan telling Marinovich). I think Micah will be a very good player, and I think he wins out a starting spot for the spring. I think Goggins showed last year that he has a very strong future in the middle, I do not see him moving outside to DE.

I agree with some of what you say, but you are forgetting about Micah Robinson. The kid is built in the same frame as Chan Jones, tall with long arms, and he seems to have more speed than Chan (overheard Chan telling Marinovich). I think Micah will be a very good player, and I think he wins out a starting spot for the spring. I think Goggins showed last year that he has a very strong future in the middle, I do not see him moving outside to DE.
I agree if you read my post i mention Robinson. Bottom line is we have a lot of players for four positions. Depending on how the lb's stack up i would not be surprised to see some type of hybrid 5-2 coming out of shafer this year during certain situations.

I agree if you read my post i mention Robinson. Bottom line is we have a lot of players for four positions. Depending on how the lb's stack up i would not be surprised to see some type of hybrid 5-2 coming out of shafer this year during certain situations.
Oh my bad on that one! That whole speed reading thing keeps getting me. Yeah I think there will be some very different looks on defense this year, and I think our run D will be very much improved. I can see a 3-4 with Crume the middle to get our four best LBs on the field at the same time as well. I think this D will be as good as the 2010 D

Can we stop the run at the LOS? That is what I'm most worried about. I think we have some players and some talent but if we don't stop the run the whole d-line will look mediocre.

Oh my bad on that one! That whole speed reading thing keeps getting me. Yeah I think there will be some very different looks on defense this year, and I think our run D will be very much improved. I can see a 3-4 with Crume the middle to get our four best LBs on the field at the same time as well. I think this D will be as good as the 2010 D
The whole defense is a big "if," but with a huge upside.
If...the Dline matures quickly they'll be the strength of the team.
If...Spruill becomes comfortable in the middle, Lynch and Davis take the next steps, then the LB's will be all over the field.
If...Shamarko returns to form, Eskridge is as good as advertised and two players step up as physical corners, then we'll be all set there as well.
But what's really going to happen? I hope the coaches have it figured out by the end of spring ball.

I thought Micah was out for the Spring, could be wrong.

I thought Micah was out for the Spring, could be wrong.
You are correct. Unfortunately so are Spruill and Lyn two of the most talented guys, but two who have a lot to prove.

With stupid personal fouls?

Not getting any would be the surprise. So I look forward to it.

After his freshman year I expected him to be an impact pass rusher by now.

Agree about your comments on Robinson. He's out for the spring, but he'll push for a starting spot this summer. I think the staff plans to use Goggins as a hybrid DT/DE. We'll see him situationally at both positions. I also think Bromley stays on the interior. Crume should blossom when he's playing 100% healthy. Boatman adds experience, as does the penalty prone Sharpe. Simmons will see the field but in situations, like pass rush. Sloan needs to get into better shape and Welch needs to get bigger w/o losing quickness. Can't wait to see the JCs - their contributions (or lack of) could make or break the DL. Don't think we'll see Hilliard, Manley or Coleman this season, but I really like all three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom