Do fans matter? | Syracusefan.com

Do fans matter?

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Seems that this years home court advantage is no less than others. If so, fans have nothing to do with home court advantage. Would be interesting to crunch the numbers when the season ends.

They absolutely do. They fire up the team and everyone in the crowd when things are going good. Its like a shot of adrenaline into the players.

Seems that this years home court advantage is no less than others. If so, fans have nothing to do with home court advantage. Would be interesting to crunch the numbers when the season ends.
This year is a mess. Going to be tough to control for variables with the chaos caused by COVID with practice and scheduling.

. Our fan-less home court advantage is better than our recent fanfilled home court advantage.

We’ve never really had a home court advantage ever since the students got iPhones.

This year is a mess. Going to be tough to control for variables with the chaos caused by COVID with practice and scheduling.
Variables among teams due to Civic equal out given the large number of teams. If the overall home court advantage of all teams is no less than it is in most prior years, there would be strong evidence that fan support is meaningless! in terms of its effect on outcomes.

Variables among teams due to Civic equal out given the large number of teams. If the overall home court advantage of all teams is no less than it is in most prior years, there would be strong evidence that fan support is meaningless! in terms of its effect on outcomes.
it's tough to win on the road regardless of whether fans are there or not. Having said that, the right fans make a difference. At the very least, it has been shown that some refs are effected by crowds. And certainly, college kids can get rattled by hostile crowds. These aren't robots out there.

I think the influence on refs is where fans come into play. I don’t think players at any level really care about how loud dudes are yelling in the stands. The noise could have a physical affect on communication but that applies equally to the home team and away team (it’s not like football where not hearing the snap count is worse for one than the other).

I think the influence on refs is where fans come into play. I don’t think players at any level really care about how loud dudes are yelling in the stands. The noise could have a physical affect on communication but that applies equally to the home team and away team (it’s not like football where not hearing the snap count is worse for one than the other).
There’s a book called Scorecasting - kind of a Freakonomics/Moneyball approach across all sports. Their evidence supports what you said; Home court/field advantage ultimately comes down to the refs

If fans count then their presence should increase home court advantage compared to a season without fans. Period.

I always felt like if a player hit a 3 early in the game and if it was a big crowd the reaction would be overwhelming. if another player had the opportunity they would take a 3 to garner the same adulation from the dome fans. Even if it was not the best look.

Given that our home court advantage is as good as recent prior years it indicates u that there is a home court advantage but it has nothing to do with fans. Too early for conclusions. Perhaps home court advantage is due to such factors as expectations, ,familiarity and the comfort of getting a good nights sleep. so far the data seems to indicate that fans are not relevant directly, or indirectly through refs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom