Do recruits read this board? | Syracusefan.com

Do recruits read this board?

SWC75

Bored Historian
If so, what should be say to them about all the threads about who we want to replace Shafer?

should we start talking to recruits that don't want to play for shafer?

They didn't know by reading the media that Shafer was already on the hot seat? Message board talk isn't going to change there mind in that regard.

Just to give an answer to the original question, yes, recruits (and current players) have been known to browse the board.

Like Washington and Clark?
Yeah, neither of those had anything to do with what they thought about Shafer. And Clark didn't back out of his commitment, we backed out of taking it. That's a fact.

Many of their parents do and probably some players. What I find as an interesting dynamic is that some people have always said in the recruiting board that only nice nice discussion can take place about a kid cause they and their parents might be reading it. Well if that's true I'm surprised some of those people don't realize that the zillion threads, many with over the top stuff (though a lot of that has been deleted), won't impact recruiting.

If you think the topics here and some of the subsequent replies in the threads don't effect the perception a recruit has of this University, your naive. Common response: well if a recruit cares about what's said on this message board, do we really want him anyway?

Every kid in America will search whatever they can on the internet in regards to themselves or to a further extent, the place where they're considering going to play. It's a fact, I know it to be fact. It won't make a difference, because people will still be people on this message board. An idiot is an idiot, a hot head is a hot head and so on and so on, such is life.

The threads about Shafer getting fired really got amped up once Sean McDonough openly called for it on national tv. I was not paying attn to it when the board folk said there is virtually no chance it would happen. But the implosion of these threads all happened after the announcers just pined for it throughout that game.

So if there is a recruit on here, welcome! But don't blame the board for the tone b/c the national media is leading the charge about this. Coyle could end it you know with an extension?

I am sure they take a peek. However we are fans and pay money for tickets/merchandise and want to win games.

As long as college players aren't attacked sorry coaches are fair game. Espiecally coaches who aren't winning games. If the players are offended by frustrated fans than honestly then I don't care if they choose to go elsewhere.

This staff is getting the frustration of what 13-20 brings.

The threads about Shafer getting fired really got amped up once Sean McDonough openly called for it on national tv. I was not paying attn to it when the board folk said there is virtually no chance it would happen. But the implosion of these threads all happened after the announcers just pined for it throughout that game.

So if there is a recruit on here, welcome! But don't blame the board for the tone b/c the national media is leading the charge about this. Coyle could end it you know with an extension?
He didn't 'openly call' for Shafer to get fired. What game were you watching?

He didn't 'openly call' for Shafer to get fired. What game were you watching?

he made it pretty clear that it's not working. He didn't overtly say it but Sean isn't a dumb guy. He was sending a message through his pulpit there. It's completely embarassing for a team to be on national tv and the announcers spend a quarter talking about the future and if the coach should be there. FULL DISCLOSURE: i've met sean a few times and he's calculating as hell (in a good way).

I am sure they take a peek. However we are fans and pay money for tickets/merchandise and want to win games.

As long as college players aren't attacked sorry coaches are fair game. Espiecally coaches who aren't winning games. If the players are offended by frustrated fans than honestly then I don't care if they choose to go elsewhere.

This staff is getting the frustration of what 13-20 brings.

what should we be talking about is the bigger question? I WISH there was 20 threads about bowl scenarios, playoff what ifs, and our place in history for the 2010s b/c of our awesome record.

I mean Jimy Williams said it best, "if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his booty"...we are what we are.

he made it pretty clear that it's not working. He didn't overtly say it but Sean isn't a dumb guy. He was sending a message through his pulpit there. It's completely embarassing for a team to be on national tv and the announcers spend a quarter talking about the future and if the coach should be there. FULL DISCLOSURE: i've met sean a few times and he's calculating as hell (in a good way).
I didn't get that at all.

The one thing I will say is that, if a recruit is looking at this board, he's looking at other boards as well. And there's not a single fan board in the world of sports that doesn't have an insane amount of vitriol and knee jerk reactions, and and overwhelming amount of criticism of players, coaches, and the school in general.

I didn't get that at all.
I didn't get that, either. He opened it up for discussion, but I didn't get the sense he was openly calling for his job.

I'd bet kids understand the business side just fine. I think they understand w vs l's.

As for their opinions of the staff - they have actual communication to judge character and relationships are built on that.

It's not good, but wins solve that.

Any coach on the hot seat has message board chatter about. Go to the Rutgers board, they have the same posts we have. You want to play for a guy who cant get fired? Go to Michigan or Alabama. Pretty much everyone else is fair game right now.

Oh. So he didn't openly call for Shafer to be fired. Got it.

jekelish said:
The one thing I will say is that, if a recruit is looking at this board, he's looking at other boards as well. And there's not a single fan board in the world of sports that doesn't have an insane amount of vitriol and knee jerk reactions, and and overwhelming amount of criticism of players, coaches, and the school in general.

I agree with that. Then why do people get so concerned about it on the recruiting board?

Alsacs said:
I am sure they take a peek. However we are fans and pay money for tickets/merchandise and want to win games. As long as college players aren't attacked sorry coaches are fair game. Espiecally coaches who aren't winning games. If the players are offended by frustrated fans than honestly then I don't care if they choose to go elsewhere. This staff is getting the frustration of what 13-20 brings.

There's a difference between intelligent negative discussion and immature childish rants. I'd expect most to understand that. And I don't care what "other" boards do.

To the OP we should probably tell them its the same 15-20 members continually posting the same stuff under a new header each day and then perpetuated by that same group of 15-20 members all of which have nothing to do with any decision making involving the Head Coach of the football team.

That would be my summation.

By the way, I'll repost since it seems currently relevant in the sports world based upon his retirement. HOF and nationally revered coach Frank Beamer had a .364 winning percentage (24-40-2) in his first 6 years (1987-1992) at Virginia Tech.

2-9
3-8
6-4-1
6-5
5-6
2-8-1

Looking back, I would surmise that retention of Coach Beamer worked out pretty well for that program.

There's a difference between intelligent negative discussion and immature childish rants. I'd expect most to understand that. And I don't care what "other" boards do.

and trustworthy Maryland Moles...i kid i kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom