Do we finally have our own Phil Knight?!?!? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do we finally have our own Phil Knight?!?!?

I don't really know the politics involved, but i'll say the Sheiks (not sure if that is derogatory or not, if so, i apologize in advance) know how to spend money (there investment in Saratoga has been pretty remarkable). If this guy were ever interested, he'd make Oregon and Alabama's facilities look like the locker room of a modified program in upstate NY.

"Can you hear me now?"

sfb_080902_fo_darylgross.jpg

I don't really know the politics involved, but i'll say the Sheiks (not sure if that is derogatory or not, if so, i apologize in advance) know how to spend money (there investment in Saratoga has been pretty remarkable). If this guy were ever interested, he'd make Oregon and Alabama's facilities look like the locker room of a modified program in upstate NY.

That's the Emir of Dubai. But there's a difference between horse-racing and football/basketball. Because of their pretensions to royalty, they're drawn to horses. That's the British imperial legacy at work mixed with fantasies about their own past. These guys would have a hard time connecting with Shafer and the lunchpail/hardhat/working class mentality that most people associate with football.

Turn the Dome into a year-round track and you might pique the interest of these Sheikh types.

Walid bin Talal has already given SU a bunch of money (and donated millions to Harvard, Georgetown, Cambridge, and Edinburgh too). He's not interested in SU sports. Think Maxwell School. Walid is super-loaded but princes in Saudi are a dime a dozen. You know how many sons Salman has? And Walid ain't a "good" one that can ascend to the throne because his mom is Lebanese.

This snippet interested me on his wiki page:

Spouse Alanoud Al Fayez (1972–2003)
Jawahir bint Ali Hussein
Aida Fustuq (Divorced)
Munira Al Otaishan
Munira bint Abdullah Al Al Shaykh
Tathi bint Mishan al Faisal al Jarba
(24 or more other wives)

Also, FYI Doug Davis (clive's son) is a syracuse graduate.

He is a successful lawyer and agent. Not sure how much money he has, but he is being rumored to buy the Atlanta Hawks.

The only thing missing here is any of these people having even a remote interest in Syracuse athletics, there is plenty of uber wealthy people out there and in fact some with Syracuse connections, but none of them are willing to write HUGE checks to support Syracuse football.

This snippet interested me on his wiki page:

Spouse Alanoud Al Fayez (1972–2003)
Jawahir bint Ali Hussein
Aida Fustuq (Divorced)
Munira Al Otaishan
Munira bint Abdullah Al Al Shaykh
Tathi bint Mishan al Faisal al Jarba
(24 or more other wives)

Ah yes, the "definition of marriage - one man - one woman"

Forza Azzurri said:
Well, since we are New York's College team, we could try to pass ourselves off as a Sunni School...

He's here all week...

I believe you are mistaken. The Saudi Arabia Warren Buffet is the guy I just linked. He actually went to Syracuse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Waleed_bin_Talal

this is the new king
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_of_Saudi_Arabia
I may be mistaken, but the original post said: "'Following the death of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al Saud on Friday, the father of a Syracuse University alumnus assumed the throne of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.'"

I assume that SU alum being referenced was Al-Waleed bin Talal based on several lines in his wikipedia which are as follows:
"He is a member of the Saudi royal family."
"Waleed is a nephew of the late Saudi King Abdullah, a grandson of Ibn Saud, the first Saudi king, and a grandson of Riad Al Solh, Lebanon's first Prime Minister."

And I further assumed that the OP was implying that, through his father, Al-Waleed suddenly had access to a ton of money and might have a willingness to commemorate his time on the hill with a generous donation to the school's athletic department.

Admittedly that isn't definitive, but that's what I was basing my comment on.

I may be mistaken, but the original post said: "'Following the death of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al Saud on Friday, the father of a Syracuse University alumnus assumed the throne of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.'"

I assume that SU alum being referenced was Al-Waleed bin Talal based on several lines in his wikipedia which are as follows:
"He is a member of the Saudi royal family."
"Waleed is a nephew of the late Saudi King Abdullah, a grandson of Ibn Saud, the first Saudi king, and a grandson of Riad Al Solh, Lebanon's first Prime Minister."

And I further assumed that the OP was implying that, through his father, Al-Waleed suddenly had access to a ton of money and might have a willingness to commemorate his time on the hill with a generous donation to the school's athletic department.

Admittedly that isn't definitive, but that's what I was basing my comment on.

I think i had a brain fart posting about the king. A. I posted the wrong king and B. that wasn't even my point so i have no idea why the hell I posted the king link.

My point was that there are actually 2 Saudi princes that went to Syracuse. 1 that is the Warren Buffett of Saudi and 1 that is the new King's son:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Waleed_bin_Talal this is the "Warren Buffett" who is worth 20-30bil and some have him ranked as high as top 20 richest people in the world
education snippet: Al-Waleed received a bachelor of science degree in business administration from Menlo College in California in 1979.[22] He then received a master's degree in social science with honors from Syracuse University in 1985.[23]

and then the new Kings son who also went to Syracuse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_bin_Salman_Al_Saud
education snippet: Sultan completed his elementary and secondary education in Riyadh. He is a graduate of the University of Denver with a degree in mass communications.[9] He received a master's degree in social and political science from Syracuse University in 1999.[1][2]

I think i had a brain fart posting about the king. A. I posted the wrong king and B. that wasn't even my point so i have no idea why the hell I posted the king link.

My point was that there are actually 2 Saudi princes that went to Syracuse. 1 that is the Warren Buffett of Saudi and 1 that is the new King's son:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Waleed_bin_Talal this is the "Warren Buffett" who is worth 20-30bil and some have him ranked as high as top 20 richest people in the world
education snippet: Al-Waleed received a bachelor of science degree in business administration from Menlo College in California in 1979.[22] He then received a master's degree in social science with honors from Syracuse University in 1985.[23]

and then the new Kings son who also went to Syracuse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_bin_Salman_Al_Saud
education snippet: Sultan completed his elementary and secondary education in Riyadh. He is a graduate of the University of Denver with a degree in mass communications.[9] He received a master's degree in social and political science from Syracuse University in 1999.[1][2]
I wonder if there are any more SU Saudi princes bouncing around the world.