Do we have the best linebackers in the country? | Syracusefan.com

Do we have the best linebackers in the country?

Jones
Wax
Lowery
Sparrow
Roon
Thompson
McDonald

These kids beat the hell out of opposing offenses. Wax and Jones are having great years

Lovin the mob

When mikel went out for a hot second I think they put McDonald in the middle. He made a great fill on a run play. Then batted down a couple of passes at the end and gave a little attitude to the NC state receiver. I loved that almost as much as mikels untouched perfectly timed sack at the end.

These guys really feed off each other. Great to see.

When mikel went out for a hot second I think they put McDonald in the middle. He made a great fill on a run play. Then batted down a couple of passes at the end and gave a little attitude to the NC state receiver. I loved that almost as much as mikels untouched perfectly timed sack at the end.

These guys really feed off each other. Great to see.
Mikel’s the heart and soul of this team and will play on Sundays.

That said, there’s talent behind him where if he has to take a breather or rest a quarter we aren’t going to lose a game because of it.

Anyone else think the defense looked more and more impressive as the game went on?

Would LOVE a package where we blitz Caleb and Steve off the opposing edges with Lowery and Mikel shooting the gaps.

These kids kick ass its so fun to watch.

This D is great, we knew we had a ton of depth in the secondary, particularly at CB and we knew our starting 3 LBs were fantastic but the depth on the entire defense is something this program hasn’t seen in a long time. And yes, with Thompson healthy our LB group is as good, if not better, than anyone else

Austin Roon looks good as Mikel’s backup. Excited to see him blossom as next year’s potential MLB starter.
I thought they shifted Marlow to the middle. But Roon definitely came in.

Is it unreasonable to say we may have the best defense in the country next year if we ONLY lose Jones and Williams?

Is it unreasonable to say we may have the best defense in the country next year if we ONLY lose Jones and Williams?
I think Isaiah Johnson is one and done, so another corner needs to emerge behind Duce and presumably Wilson. Also, need additional productive bodies on the defensive line. There's also the very real concern of someone backing an armored truck filled with money up Tony White's driveway in January.

But the defense has the potential to be excellent again next year.

I think Isaiah Johnson is one and done, so another corner needs to emerge behind Duce and presumably Wilson. Also, need additional productive bodies on the defensive line. There's also the very real concern of someone backing an armored truck filled with money up Tony White's driveway in January.

We all heard rave reviews about Wilson from the summer through now, but I agree we need another corner. Really really wish that Adrian Cole had chosen to stay. Shame.

I think he has this year and next. Was injured one year at Dartmouth.

It's hard to say whether we have the best LB's in the country. We know they're really really good. They fly around, make plays, and don't miss tackles. We know they have a great coach/DC that puts them in great position for success. I suppose we'll have to see where they're drafted to get a feel for how they're viewed by the closest thing we have to experts.

Thompson’s injury really stinks. Silver lining though is more opportunities for the younger guys who all look like they’re the real deal. From what it looks now, at the beginning of the season the LBs had a strong 2.5/3ish deep.

NC State's Locked On podcast guy gave them "a decided advantage" at the linebacker position. Although he gave props to Mikel, he said that they came in as one of the best linebacking squads not just in the country, but in recent history and have not underperformed.

NC State's Locked On podcast guy gave them "a decided advantage" at the linebacker position. Although he gave props to Mikel, he said that they came in as one of the best linebacking squads not just in the country, but in recent history and have not underperformed.
Wax and Mikel had their way with NCSU in a borderline disrespectful fashion

Well I "decided" they did not in fact have an advantage.

We need to hit the portal for DL. At at least for depth purposes. I think the LB and DB depth is there. Love if the Dartmouth kid can come back and play next year.
DL returns Lockett, Darton, Fuentes-Cundiff, Linton, Geer, Simmons, and Jazquez. Should be a strength and good depth. I'm not sure they need a transfer on DL. Maybe a transfer CB perhaps.

That was our depth this year, plus Caleb and that turned out thin. I trust our coaches to develop these guys but I think we need another ready to play big or two on the D line for next year.

DL returns Lockett, Darton, Fuentes-Cundiff, Linton, Geer, Simmons, and Jazquez. Should be a strength and good depth. I'm not sure they need a transfer on DL. Maybe a transfer CB perhaps.
Plus the man child wrecking ball Rashard Perry who will be signing in December. For those of you who do not hang out on the recruiting board, I highly recommend you swing over and go through the Rashard Perry thread. As I said over there the guy is a brick friggin schithouse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom