Do we want McCullough to reclassify to 2013? | Syracusefan.com

Do we want McCullough to reclassify to 2013?

It seems to me we want McCullough to stay in 2014 unless we lose either Coleman or Christmas to the draft after this year. I'm leaning towards thinking we want McCullough to stay in the class of 2014. It's possible either Coleman or Christmas could have a really big year or get projected as a first round draft pick on potential and go, but given that they'll be splitting so much time at the center spot this year between themselves and some with Keita, I just don't think it's likely. And if both those guys are back, and we still have Fair, in all likelihood, with Grant also in the frontcourt showing the potential he's shown already poised for a great sophomore year, then there's just not enough minutes for McCullough to go around. What are the thoughts of the board on this?

I would guess we lose MCW and Rak. Don't think Coleman will go.

We have
Coleman, Keita at Center
Fair, Grant, Mike G. at fowards
Ennis, Cooney, Mike G., Patterson at guards.

IF McCullough reclassified Mike G. would play more guard. If he doesn't Mike G. plays a mix of SF and Guard. In this scenario I think there would be plenty of minutes for McCullough. It could be 30 for Fair, 20 for Grant, 20 for McCullough, 10 between mike G. and Johnson.

This is assuming BJ Johnson and Okobonoh aren't ready to play much. Have no idea whether they will or won't but will lean towards not being ready.

I would guess we lose MCW and Rak. Don't think Coleman will go.

We have
Coleman, Keita at Center
Fair, Grant, Mike G. at fowards
Ennis, Cooney, Mike G., Patterson at guards.

IF McCullough reclassified Mike G. would play more guard. If he doesn't Mike G. plays a mix of SF and Guard. In this scenario I think there would be plenty of minutes for McCullough. It could be 30 for Fair, 20 for Grant, 20 for McCullough, 10 between mike G. and Johnson.

This is assuming BJ Johnson and Okobonoh aren't ready to play much. Have no idea whether they will or won't but will lean towards not being ready.

I do not see either MCW or Rak going after this season. MCW has a mid-teenager's body and needs to get a lot stronger...I also think Rak's offense needs to significantly improve before the NBA takes a serious look at him...athletic 6-9 guys are a dime a dozen in the NBA...just my $.02...

Where the heck is Rak going?
Yeah. I get that the NBA drafts on potential and I get that he'd rather be a pro, but is he even on the radar?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yeah. I get that the NBA drafts on potential and I get that he'd rather be a pro, but is he even on the radar?

NBAdraft.net has Christmas as the 22nd pick this year and Carter-Williams as the 18th pick next year.

NBAdraft.net has Christmas as the 22nd pick this year and Carter-Williams as the 18th pick next year.

I think they should both go pro this year! The following years draft will be stocked and they will both fall just because of the numbers game.

I dont think Rak is on any radar's. If he quietly averages 5ppg and 8 rpg for us this year, he's not going to be lighting up draft boards.

I think McCullough should stay in the class of 2014. The only way that Rak or DC2 leave after this year is if one of them really out performs the other and takes most of the minutes. If they both are around 6-8 points and 6-8 rebounds there is no way one of them leaves in my opinion. Put me in the camp that is just excited we got McCullough no matter when he gets here!!

Why do you think he might reclassify? I haven't read anywhere he's considering it. He's in the 2014 class.

Rumors have circulated that McCullough might reclassify to join Syracuse's 2013 class, but both AAU coach Terrence Williams and Brewster Academy coach Jason Smith have said in recent weeks that such a move is highly unlikely at this point.
ESPN

"I felt like it was the right time," said McCullough, who doesn't plan to reclassify and last visited Syracuse for their skills camp in late August. "I already know where I wanted to go. It's the best choice for me and my family.

NYPOST

I think we want him in 2014. If he stays there, we can fit in Roberson(most likely), Lawrence or Vonleh this year.

Plus, McCullough gets another year to work on his game. We lose Fair that year and he slides right in.

I just don't see a lot of downside to keeping him in 2014.

I do not see either MCW or Rak going after this season. MCW has a mid-teenager's body and needs to get a lot stronger...I also think Rak's offense needs to significantly improve before the NBA takes a serious look at him...athletic 6-9 guys are a dime a dozen in the NBA...just my $.02...
Completely agree with you on Rak. I think MCW could go if he has a big year. The strength thing is a bit overblown when it comes to guys jumping. Kevin Durant couldn't bench press his own bodyweight, and it never mattered on draft boards or on the court.

yeah, i think i'm in agreement with those expecting MCW to jump after this year and Christmas and Coleman to stay. As for the rumors about McCullough reclassifying, McCullough was originally in the class of 2013 but re-did his freshman year because of grades or something. Plus he's really tight with Patterson, who's his teammate this year, and was the second person I think to tweet about McCullough's decision to come to Syracuse. But of course I think I'd rather see McCullough stay with the class of 2014 and bring Whitehead along with him!

I don't mean to disrespect anyone here but Christmas is definitely on the NBA scouts radar. A good friend of mine stays in touch with Troy Weaver and the NBA scouts like Christmas a lot, right now.

That appears to be predicated on Christmas making a Fab-like jump in his overall game.

"While his offensive range only extends from foul line to baseline, Christmas' ability to defend the post, pose as a glowing target above the rim and finish with authority will draw interest from teams looking to beef up their front line. He's primed for a similar sophomore breakout as former teammate Fab Melo." http://nbadraft.net/nba-draft-top-power-forwards

I like Christmas's potential, but he has an extremely raw skill set on O and needs to show that he can consistently defend the post without fouling out. Fab Melo's lack of NBA success will also make NBA teams leery.

IMO, Christmas will, and needs to be a 4 year, developmental player at SU before he has a legit shot at making an NBA roster (different from being drafted, ask Fab).

Completely agree with you on Rak. I think MCW could go if he has a big year. The strength thing is a bit overblown when it comes to guys jumping. Kevin Durant couldn't bench press his own bodyweight, and it never mattered on draft boards or on the court.

To a point it is (strength) overblown a bit. But, in all fairness, Durant at 6 -10 or 11 spends his time mostly on the perimeter shooting long range shots against undersized defenders. He is rather the exception due to his unique combination of height, ball & shooting skills. MCW, as a guard, will need to get much stronger imo to man up against the men in the NBA. Also, his lanky build leaves him vulnerable to steals with his high dribbling technique and lack of quickness, things he'll need to vastly improve upon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom