do you guys think that marrone really wants an option based offense | Syracusefan.com

do you guys think that marrone really wants an option based offense

orangehomer

All American
it seems that he is recruiting the dual-threat qb's. i was loosely watching this SU-BC replay from 1991, and reminiscing about how much fun the option was to watch. we've seen marrone run option with nassib, which he is horrible at. do you think marrone is trying to tailor the offense around what he has, biding his time until he gets the players he wants? i don't think we are ever going to get the pro-style qb's like barkley or luck to come here. however, i do think we can get the dual-threat types that are runners to come here, hopefully starting with broyld. i'm not sure that marrone truly wants to run pro-style, but he has a statue qb and some te's so that is what he is running.

Regardless, we will have a qb with wheels so that will open things up much more. In addition, if we have a qb thac can scramble the O Line and are wide receivers will finally look much better.

You can speculate about what Marrone might want in 2013 and beyond, but the clues so far would be what he brought in as JUCOs/Hofstra transfers, and the WR/TE recruits. His QB recruits have been all over the lot -- doesn't look like Loeb, Miller or Kinder was recruited to run an option attack. His RB recruits have varied from the very heavy (Moore) to the very light (Rene) to the mid-sized (Smith) to the unlikely (Timbers, Smallwood), with only Gulley having early impact.
The JUCOs/Hofstra transfers have had a common theme -- big guys to add some toughness to the inside running attack (building around Carter) and short passing (Weaver, Cruz). Not a speed guy or a dual threat QB in the bunch.
His WR recruits also have a common theme -- tall and decent size, with Kobena being the exception. Kids who can block; kids who can go over the middle; kids who can contribute on special teams. TE recruits have been blockers, more than receivers.
Some of this could reflect the practical reality -- who can he land? Broyld, for example, was a star in Rochester, and played in the Dome in the state finals. He might end up at QB, but he could also play one of several other roles.
By and large, I believe in year 3, we are seeing Marrone's base schemes. He wants to make the defense respect inside running, use the TE, and a passing attack that moves the chains. Sure, he would add other dimensions to his base schemes if he had a different QB or better deep receivers.

Regardless, we will have a qb with wheels so that will open things up much more. In addition, if we have a qb thac can scramble the O Line and are wide receivers will finally look much better.
Great post and totally agree. After watching T. Hunt's senior video highlights I came away thinking if we had this at SU now we would be so much better.

Great post and totally agree. After watching T. Hunt's senior video highlights I came away thinking if we had this at SU now we would be so much better.

The fact is our O line has never been great and we have never had s stable of great receivers, just have to have a qb that can but just a bit more time or run for positive yardage on a consistent basis amzing how a defense has to adjust to both of those things. scrambling and running at the qb position.

McNabb spent most of his time scrambling for his life, I doubt Baylor cares about their O line play or the explosiveness of their receivers, I hightly doubt it. Our problems on offense the past 12 years have been the lack of recruiting a real playmaker at QB, get a qb who is basically your best athlete on the field and many of these problems disappear, now you may have some negative plays but you are just going to have to deal with that.

SU will never have the stable to have a "game manager" at QB and win a lot of games

The fact is our O line has never been great and we have never had s stable of great receivers, just have to have a qb that can but just a bit more time or run for positive yardage on a consistent basis amzing how a defense has to adjust to both of those things. scrambling and running at the qb position.

McNabb spent most of his time scrambling for his life, I doubt Baylor cares about their O line play or the explosiveness of their receivers, I hightly doubt it. Our problems on offense the past 12 years have been the lack of recruiting a real playmaker at QB, get a qb who is basically your best athlete on the field and many of these problems disappear, now you may have some negative plays but you are just going to have to deal with that.

SU will never have the stable to have a "game manager" at QB and win a lot of games

I have no doubt that Marrone will develop a tradition of great OLines during his tenure at Syracuse.

The OLine is getting crapped on by this forum this season, but they are not the main problem with this offense at all.

I have no doubt that Marrone will develop a tradition of great OLines during his tenure at Syracuse.

The OLine is getting crapped on by this forum this season, but they are not the main problem with this offense at all.

I dont think so either, I dont think the wide receivers are the issue either, the qb play needs to be perfect for us to be succesful. I think they have turned Nassib into a robot more or less, IMO. Nveer much improv or anything of that nature. The fact is we are discussing two missed played last week, which is fine but an offense should present more than that. Just like the WVU game when Provo dropped a TD, BFD, move on and make another play, that is what a decent offense does. I am not bashing Nassib here by any means

I dont think so either, I dont think the wide receivers are the issue either, the qb play needs to be perfect for us to be succesful.

I don't know about perfect but the ability to hit a broad side of a barn 20+ yards away would certainly help.

I don't know about perfect but the ability to hit a broad side of a barn 20+ yards away would certainly help.
I understand that, but there should be more opportunity within the game than two plays that we seem to be discussing. I understand what people are talking about but a guy like McNabb missed throws ALL the time, Its just that the next play he probably had another opportunity that HE created with his feet or somebody got open again. Just my thoughts. I watch almost every Oregon game, as we lived there for 3 years and my wife is an alumni, they leave plays on the field quite a bit too, buy they also run a ton of plays and give themselves opportunities play after play. Not saying we need to be the Ducks but you see my point.

My point is the dropped TD by Provo in the WVU game, good offenses get more opportunity throughout the game.. That is where we are missing, not enough opportunity and when we do have it, we need to be perfect and that is difficult

Marrone is taking the best qb's he can get and if they are good athletes, the better. I'd assume these guys are given a shot at qb and if they can't make it they are given a choice to play elsewhere. I see it as a win win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom