Do you think this class of 2018 will end up top 40? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think this class of 2018 will end up top 40?

Dino is doing a tremendous job with recruiting especially coming off a 4-8 year.

If we don't get top 40 it will be a lot closer than we have been.

Unlikely, but I think the class [and recruiting in general] is trending that direction. If we don't make it into the top 40, I'm willing to bet that we get there very, very soon. Which is exactly where our sweet spot / path to success will be.

No matter what HCDFB has done, you don't bump the guy after just 1 year. Yes it looks like he gets it, yes it is exciting but no you don't start renewing or extending yet. What you do is give him ways to expand staff (that has happened), you coordinate for him to fly private (has been done) and get him other miscellaneous items he needs (probably done). You tell him "show me you can win, get me some results and we will come back to the table for you and your coaching staff". I love what HCDFB is doing but the picture is still incomplete. Please note, this opinion does not mean I don't think he has the "it factor", it just means I want to see if he knows how to succeed with it. Go Cuse!

Rvls has us #63 with 13 commitments and 855 points. 5 more kids rated 3 star with a 5.5 numeric rating (which is the lowest 3 star ranking) translates to 300 points. Added to the 855 gives us 1155 points and that would slot us at #39.

Obviously 2 star kids would drive that down but the mid to high 3 star kid would drive us up considerably higher. Charlton for example has a 5.7 numeric rating; that's worth 90 points. The 5.5 kid is 60 points.

Rvls has us #63 with 13 commitments and 855 points. 5 more kids rated 3 star with a 5.5 numeric rating (which is the lowest 3 star ranking) translates to 300 points. Added to the 855 gives us 1155 points and that would slot us at #39.

Obviously 2 star kids would drive that down but the mid to high 3 star kid would drive us up considerably higher. Charlton for example has a 5.7 numeric rating; that's worth 90 points. The 5.5 kid is 60 points.
yes, but the same can be said for every school. every school will still add recruits and points. finishing ranked in the top 40 as an actual football team is all I care about.
keep in mind schools like Baylor and Tcu built their programs on classes ranked in the 40s and 50s. When scheme and player fit like a glove, wonderful things happen regardless of your recruiting rank.

Agree with average grade for this class as I don't think we will be in the 23-25 range so it might be hard to hit top 40.

Agree with this. Average grade is high, but missing the full class 0f 25 for a higher grade... Average recruit grade(.8455), has 41 with a better average than cuse... A Q commit just keeps it at 41 for average(.8489), but pushes up the rank from the current 54 to 44... 159 score...(crystall ball)

*Math part(Skip to next if needed)... The algorithm pushes a .849 player from 13.5 to 12.8, when another player is added... .7 drop for each addition player.(not going to figure the algorithm) But if the average is kept(.8489 with Q) it's a 66pt increase, for 6 more, with that part of the formula, from the (Q) 159...(44th rank) to adding 6 more, to 225.. That would put us at #23 compared to last year... However... The entire class seems to take a 5 point hit, with each new recruit. So 6 players may drop us to 195...

It seems like if we maintain our current recruits, average grade, we're on target for #38, when compared to last year... Take 19, we drop a little, 20+ we go up... So yeah. Dirty math says we may just slide under 40, if we can maintain..

Last edited:
yes, but the same can be said for every school. every school will still add recruits and points. finishing ranked in the top 40 as an actual football team is all I care about.
keep in mind schools like Baylor and Tcu built their programs on classes ranked in the 40s and 50s. When scheme and player fit like a glove, wonderful things happen regardless of your recruiting rank.

Yes and no. There's only 6 schoools in front of us with fewer commits. Half have around 18, that's why I picked 5 kids as the number to bump us up.

Even if every team took 25 kids many schools could only add 7-9 more. We could add 12. That difference should bump us in front of them. We won't finish top 40 unless we can steal a couple of 4 stars, but at the current trajectory we should solidly be in the 40-50 range which I think is pretty good.

I love Babers, but I'm not sure the point of extending him now. He has plenty of years on his contract. If he would want to leave in the future, it wouldn't stop him.

Last year's average composite recruit grade was .838. No matter how you look at it, we're higher at this point. .849 with Q, .846 without.

As enjoyable as the #'s are, they are a bit silly , as they are recruited system dependant, and the coaches actually work some out for the REAL evaluation, in stead of guess work. Take Servais. Just watching his tape, it was ridiculous that he had a .82 grade. (I'd of given him about 87-hugely athletic for his size) Add in system dependant, and the kid is starting his first eligible year.. he's going to be a beast, that had a mediocre grade... Because the grade was wrong. Imo

Last year's average composite recruit grade was .838. No matter how you look at it, we're higher at this point. .849 with Q, .846 without.

As enjoyable as the #'s are, they are a bit silly , as they are recruited system dependant, and the coaches actually work some out for the REAL evaluation, in stead of guess work. Take Servais. Just watching his tape, it was ridiculous that he had a .82 grade. (I'd of given him about 87-hugely athletic for his size) Add in system dependant, and the kid is starting his first eligible year.. he's going to be a beast, that had a mediocre grade... Because the grade was wrong. Imo
I just saw 85.93 on TOS...
  • 4*: 1
  • 3*: 13

I do.

Dino is doing a great job finding quality players. This class right now is on pace as our best in a long time.

Have we finished top 40 in recent years?

Right now the composite of our class is 33rd.

Love it from the football staff.
Average is just about there

If we can bring it up a point... we'll be Top 40 AVG recruit rating for sure

Yep add on the eclipse and we are above 86. Rvls ratings are so skewed I don't even bother with them. We've got screwed over there for years. ESPN will be turning into a really nice class as well.

If we can land the eclipse, that would make 6(Pierce, Devito, Robinson, Hendrix, Q, Sampson) recruits who have been graded a 4 star recruit according to at least 1 service. We are definitely starting to bring in that high end talent you need to compete with the big boys.

I do.

Dino is doing a great job finding quality players. This class right now is on pace as our best in a long time.

Have we finished top 40 in recent years?

Right now the composite of our class is 33rd.

Love it from the football staff.

They already are according to 247

I don't think the class will be top 40. I think it will end up looking a lot like last year. Maybe a tick better. we need wins on the field to make a jump.

You are usually spot on but not with this assessment. This class far exceeds last years already

I remember when Dabo had a poor first season...if memory serves me correctly...and then he recruited top talent even after that immediately and I couldn't figure out why until I found out more about Dabo. Babers and staff don't have exactly what Clemson had to offer but the relationship building is something they seem to excel at and even though SU was 4-8, players know there is something special going on in Syracuse football wise will want to be a part of it. This is a talented and diverse group of players that the staff has recruited and to be honest faster quality wise than I expected at this point. Thrilled at what has verballed and if they can hold onto this group and add some DL's and maybe 1 more QB...wow.

Shafer and his staff were well known for building great relationships, family atsmophere, etc. This staff does that - but the primary reason they are doing well is the O system they believe in, results they can point to, and momentum from a "show me" win over VaTech. There is a clear road map to sell.

Throw in a dash of Babers charisma, personality, and intelligence? Future is bright.

If I want to get depressed I look at Rivals which has us at #71. However they spend little time following SU.

If I want to get depressed I look at Rivals which has us at #71. However they spend little time following SU.
No chance our current class is 71st.
The talent is better this year than before. We several higher rated prospects.

And Scowt/twofourseven has us at 29...