Do you want the truth | Syracusefan.com

Do you want the truth

Baz and his family got sticky fingers.
Gee G league doesn't add up vs 1 and done. Do the math.
Good for them. Take the money in a legal way, above the table. I’d much rather have this situation than all of the Adidas payment under the table scandals.

Would you rather be SU or Arizona?

Could be but I’ll be PISSED if it comes out at all that style of play/system was a deterrent for him and his camp.

Baz and his family got sticky fingers.
Gee G league doesn't add up vs 1 and done. Do the math.

This was easy to determine.

H3s im0lying we paid to pry him from OSU. He has no idea what he is talking about
That’s laughable.

I have no doubt that the Bazley’s got a 6 figure deal from an agent or shoe company to bypass college and hole out in the G League. They opted for the money and obscurity for a year. I have no problem with that decision, other than the timing. But I guess he had to let his senior year play out. We were his backup plan. That’s the only reason it stings.

Bazley will not be the last 5 star to take a shoe company paycheck ASAP, instead of a college scholarship next year. In some respects it is probably better for college basketball to lose most 5 star players than for them to concentrate in 3 or 4 schools. However, the overall quality of play of college basketball will become even further separated from the NBA. Viewership and revenue will decline. We have seen the heyday of college basketball. March Madness will survive. In a worse case scenario, G League games will get larger TV exposure and even go up against college basketball programming.

shoe companies will pay market value, which can be north of 6 figures for 5 star players. Colleges have been underpaying. It was only a matter of time before their monopoly was busted. Think of the NCAA as OPEC. Bazley is the Curt Flood of basketball.

Last edited:
Bazley will not be the last 5 star to take a shoe company paycheck ASAP, instead of a college scholarship next year. In some respects it is probably better for college basketball to lose most 5 star players than for them to concentrate in 3 or 4 schools. However, the overall quality of play of college basketball will become even further separated from the NBA. Viewership and revenue will decline. We have seen the heyday of college basketball. March Madness will survive. In a worse case scenario, G League games will get larger TV exposure and even go up against college basketball programming.

shoe companies will pay market value, which can be north of 6 figures for 5 star players. Colleges have been underpaying. It was only a matter of time before their monopoly was busted. Think of the NCAA as OPEC. Bazley is the Curt Flood of basketball.
Disagree. College basketball will still be there. Fans won’t notice the 20 guys that aren’t there every year. Teams will actually be better because of less turnover. It will be nice to have guys around for 4 years.

Disagree. College basketball will still be there. Fans won’t notice the 20 guys that aren’t there every year. Teams will actually be better because of less turnover. It will be nice to have guys around for 4 years.
Yes, college basketball will still be here. Assuming that many 5 stars follow Bazley, the following events are likely. College basketball's reputation for quality play will decline. Commentators will be all over the changes and articles discussing the situation will be commonplace. Casual observers are attracted to the stars, the future NBA players. The combination of bad PR and declining star power will mean that casual fans will be less likely to tune in. TV contracts will be less than what they would be under their current trajectory. If enough players jump, it is not inconceivable that the G League would compete with college basketball. TV is becoming ever more specialized and ala carte to match local interests is on the horizon. If the NBA can make money with the G League they will not care about the effect on college basketball. It is not the end of college basketball but change is on the horizon. I expect that the tournament will survive as the strongest draw in college basketball, but the heyday will be over if Bazley is the Pied Piper.

I have only passing interest in the NBA. I'm certainly not going to get amped up about the G-league. Fort Wayne Mad Ants? Don't really care, other than CJ Fair, who played for my college team.

I know you will, but why would he commit knowing exactly the style of play and system already? What changed from say...a few weeks ago?

I hear ya. Doubtful but if family suddenly and/or agents started getting into his ear about the zone and the offense then that’s just another obstacle.

I hear ya. Doubtful but if family suddenly and/or agents started getting into his ear about the zone and the offense then that’s just another obstacle.
Man, if he's that easily influenced after really thinking and taking visits, then oh well. And why would it be 'suddenly'? Makes no sense to me, I'll go with, he got $.

I have no clue what the original post means (because clearly there is supposed to be more to it than face value), but I read the situation as being that Syracuse is apparently not paying players nor are they working with agents, shoe companies to funnel money to the players. I say that because I would assume Syracuse had a chance to counter (or, more likely, preempt) whatever offer he got from agent/shoe guy/G-League salary. I would assume we chose not to match the offer and that Duke/KU/UK/etc all did/do match similar offers for their guys.

I've gone back and forth on this but people watch CBB and CFB for their school/town pride, not quality of play.

CBB will be fine if all the 5 stars go pro out the gate. CBB is mainly March Madness anyway and if the big time players from the tournament are actually coming back to school for another year or two, that then develops name recognition and rivalries which will help the regular season.

(In my opinion)

Also, it's obvious Bazley and his fam are shortsighted and went with the immediate $$$ rather than thinking long term.

I've gone back and forth on this but people watch CBB and CFB for their school/town pride, not quality of play.

CBB will be fine if all the 5 stars go pro out the gate. CBB is mainly March Madness anyway and if the big time players from the tournament are actually coming back to school for another year or two, that then develops name recognition and rivalries which will help the regular season.

(In my opinion)

Also, it's obvious Bazley and his fam are shortsighted and went with the immediate $$$ rather than thinking long term.

I'd agree with this. If every team was chock full of Rak Xmas, Brandon Triche, GMac, Arinze Onuaku types, it would be absolutely just fine.

There is a reason why some games get ratings created by audiences that are larger than the fan base. It is the casual fan that is the swing voter. Without star power and with a damaged image, there will be less casual fans. College basketball has been booming because of its broader appeal beyond the die-hard. It is not a given that broad appeal will continue other than for the tourney. The die-hard will remain loyal. Too early to tell what will happen, but shoe companies unleashed have the potential to create major changes. Monopolies (in this case college basketball) tend to be unstable. They become juicy targets for those that want a slice of the pie. College basketball is in a vulnerable position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom