Do you want the truth | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do you want the truth

There is a reason why some games get ratings created by audiences that are larger than the fan base. It is the casual fan that is the swing voter. Without star power and with a damaged image, there will be less casual fans. College basketball has been booming because of its broader appeal beyond the die-hard. It is not a given that broad appeal will continue other than for the tourney. The die-hard will remain loyal. Too early to tell what will happen, but shoe companies unleashed have the potential to create major changes. Monopolies (in this case college basketball) tend to be unstable. They become juicy targets for those that want a slice of the pie. College basketball is in a vulnerable position.
There will always be stars. It will be the guys that lead the team in the absence of the guys that jumped to the NBA. Trust me, the casual fans won’t notice the guys that aren’t on the team. They will only notice the guys on the team.

We’re only talking about moving the timeline up one year to allow guys to jump straight to the NBA. 20 guys a year max. It won’t make that big of a difference.

Fans and ESPN will figure out who to pin the star tag on. There will always be stars.

maybe Im a minority but I love college basketball and refuse to watch a NBA game on tv or attend one here in Indianapolis.

once a player leaves SU I wish him the best of luck as he fades into obscurity in my eyes....

Or perhaps he was going to be academically ineligible and this gives him an option now? It really could be anything. Money is the first thing everyone will jump to for obvious reasons.

There will always be stars. It will be the guys that lead the team in the absence of the guys that jumped to the NBA. Trust me, the casual fans won’t notice the guys that aren’t on the team. They will only notice the guys on the team.

We’re only talking about moving the timeline up one year to allow guys to jump straight to the NBA. 20 guys a year max. It won’t make that big of a difference.

Fans and ESPN will figure out who to pin the star tag on. There will always be stars.

Totally agree. Casual fans have more fun watching Jimmer Fredette and Loyola-Chicago in the tournament than Deandre Ayton.

In the regular season stars will emerge for the more hardcore fan to cheer for.

I have no problem with an 18+ year old getting paid to do what he/she wants to do as long as it is legal and doesn't hurt anyone. I just find it interesting that Nike and Addias have this much cash to throw around and if your angry or don't like that...stop buying Nike and Addias stuff.

Pure speculation. Baz was compromised and with the current investigations going on was advised to take this route.
Financially it makes absolutely no sense for him to take what would at most amount to 150k vs going to SU for 1 year and guaranteeing himself at worst first round money and possibly lottery pick money. His line about blazing (sorry) the trail is baloney.

Pure speculation. Baz was compromised and with the current investigations going on was advised to take this route.
Financially it makes absolutely no sense for him to take what would at most amount to 150k vs going to SU for 1 year and guaranteeing himself at worst first round money and possibly lottery pick money. His line about blazing (sorry) the trail is baloney.

Baze wasn't coming to Syracuse to get an "academic education" since he was always rumored to be one and done.

He was coming to play 30+ games as a tryout for the NBA.

Now he's playing 50+ games as a tryout, and getting paid.

If he parlays his G League experience into a Lottery Pick, his gamble worked.

MLB players do it all the time.

I would have no problem if more four/five stars go the G-League route. I do not think this will have an adverse effect on college basketball at all. Instead of a one and done playing at a five star level, we will have a three star senior who developed into a five star player.

Coaches with programs that cannot develop players and simply rely on one and done talent will struggle. Actual offenses, as opposed to clear out plays, will become more important and better as players spend more time in the system and have to challenge more cohesive defenses.

The G League may get some bump, but I doubt it will even begin to challenge the popularity of the college game. If more high school kids opt to join the G League, it will just become an extension of the AAU programs. This will not make me more excited to watch or attend G League games. The only time I had any desire (and to be fair it still was not much) to attend a G League game that is only about 20 minutes from where I live is when a player who formerly played at one of my alma maters was going to be there.

Baze wasn't coming to Syracuse to get an "academic education" since he was always rumored to be one and done.

He was coming to play 30+ games as a tryout for the NBA.

Now he's playing 50+ games as a tryout, and getting paid.

If he parlays his G League experience into a Lottery Pick, his gamble worked.

MLB players do it all the time.

All true, but as a pro athlete, much of his income potential is in endorsements. College provides an incredible marketing platform for your brand that D and G leagues simply don't. Carmelo Anthony, for instance, was able to leverage the exposure of being the star of the biggest sporting event in the nation, a billion dollar extravaganza for advertisers. That absolutely had value in propelling him into endorsement deals immediately upon turning pro. So I think there is a very real monetary value of going to college versus going to the G league. One would think agents would be aware of this and would advise college so they can maximize their future returns on a given player, but that all goes out the window because an agent even talking to a kid potentially negates the player's access to any of the college game and also paints him in a bad light.

Wait -

Someones implying we paid DB to pry him from OSU?

Could be but I’ll be PISSED if it comes out at all that style of play/system was a deterrent for him and his camp.
it's not like ours has change in months or even a few years? been like this for a long time. he was coming here to get starter minutes guaranteed on an ACC team

Bazley will not be the last 5 star to take a shoe company paycheck ASAP, instead of a college scholarship next year. In some respects it is probably better for college basketball to lose most 5 star players than for them to concentrate in 3 or 4 schools. However, the overall quality of play of college basketball will become even further separated from the NBA. Viewership and revenue will decline. We have seen the heyday of college basketball. March Madness will survive. In a worse case scenario, G League games will get larger TV exposure and even go up against college basketball programming.

shoe companies will pay market value, which can be north of 6 figures for 5 star players. Colleges have been underpaying. It was only a matter of time before their monopoly was busted. Think of the NCAA as OPEC. Bazley is the Curt Flood of basketball.

Absolutely no one is watching G league games. Ever.

It’ll be my choice after I watch my neighbor paint his deck.

All true, but as a pro athlete, much of his income potential is in endorsements. College provides an incredible marketing platform for your brand that D and G leagues simply don't. Carmelo Anthony, for instance, was able to leverage the exposure of being the star of the biggest sporting event in the nation, a billion dollar extravaganza for advertisers. That absolutely had value in propelling him into endorsement deals immediately upon turning pro. So I think there is a very real monetary value of going to college versus going to the G league. One would think agents would be aware of this and would advise college so they can maximize their future returns on a given player, but that all goes out the window because an agent even talking to a kid potentially negates the player's access to any of the college game and also paints him in a bad light.

Use the one guy that we have in our history that was able to do that. Now tell me about the incredible endorsement opportunities that MCW got from his run to the final 4 or the ones that Malachi got during his. Bazely will still be in that same range just like he was always going to.

maybe Im a minority but I love college basketball and refuse to watch a NBA game on tv or attend one here in Indianapolis.

once a player leaves SU I wish him the best of luck as he fades into obscurity in my eyes...

Genuinely curious why you refuse to watch the NBA. Always wonder with this group of people

Bazley is FAR from the biggest or best star in this recruiting class. Let's see how many Duke, UK, UNC recruits who just played in the McD AA game decommit in the next couple of weeks and do the same. Certainly several of them would be more attractive to shoe companies and agents as future NBA stars. Curious to see. My guess, none.

Could be but I’ll be PISSED if it comes out at all that style of play/system was a deterrent for him and his camp.

So do you think he committed here and then was like...oh snap they play the 2-3 zone? man their offense doesn't look great this year, i am going to question my offsenive talent and ability to make it better. to do that i need to have supreme confidence in myself and jump to the G league? Also i will say my guess is this is exactly the type of kid whose stock goes up by playing in the 2-3. Doesn't showcase defensive liability. he seems like a good defender but is literally the same size as Marek.

College basketball will thrive just fine once the NBA changes these rules and takes the one and dones out of colleges and directly to the NBA. In fact it will make for better competition than having 80% of these elite kids cluster at like 6 schools. Fans watch for the name on the front of the uniform. As long as the league games are competitive people will watch. 99% are not tuning out because Marvin Bagley and Deandre Ayton aren't playing in college.

I've gone back and forth on this but people watch CBB and CFB for their school/town pride, not quality of play.

CBB will be fine if all the 5 stars go pro out the gate. CBB is mainly March Madness anyway and if the big time players from the tournament are actually coming back to school for another year or two, that then develops name recognition and rivalries which will help the regular season.

(In my opinion)

Also, it's obvious Bazley and his fam are shortsighted and went with the immediate $$$ rather than thinking long term.

Good post. I fully admit the NBA is a better played game. But I love CBB because I grew up cheering for Syracuse and my parents alma maters and my alma mater, plus I've lived in a few different places and enjoyed watching those local teams. Basically it's the emotional attachment to college basketball that makes it better than the NBA for me. I'm a casual Celts fans but other than that, I don't really give a crap about the NBA or it's players, other than casually following the SU alums. Even the emotional attachment to those guys isn't what it was since they're gone so quickly, but I still hope they do well.

Last edited:
Use the one guy that we have in our history that was able to do that. Now tell me about the incredible endorsement opportunities that MCW got from his run to the final 4 or the ones that Malachi got during his. Bazely will still be in that same range just like he was always going to.

So you think players don't benefit from exposure during the NCAA Tournament? Do you think CBS pays over a billion dollars per year to broadcast it because people really love the commercials? Such an odd response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom