Do you want the truth | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Do you want the truth

So you think players don't benefit from exposure during the NCAA Tournament? Do you think CBS pays over a billion dollars per year to broadcast it because people really love the commercials? Such an odd response.

Yeah its really such an odd response. I'm still waiting to hear about how much the average player gains from this exposure compared to what Bazley will gain from doing what he's doing. I imagine I'll be waiting for a long time since you'd have to make something up. Did Malachi get some major eye glass deal from doing the 3 glasses thing? Don't recall seeing it. Don't recall any player from 2013 or 2016 ever becoming a brand based on their final 4 runs.

Yeah its really such an odd response. I'm still waiting to hear about how much the average player gains from this exposure compared to what Bazley will gain from doing what he's doing. I imagine I'll be waiting for a long time since you'd have to make something up. Did Malachi get some major eye glass deal from doing the 3 glasses thing? Don't recall seeing it. Don't recall any player from 2013 or 2016 ever becoming a brand based on their final 4 runs.
Yeah Malachi didn't benefit from the Final Four run at all.

What a silly notion that increased public exposure and fame would positively effect an individual's brand and promotional opportunities. That never happens!

Genuinely curious why you refuse to watch the NBA. Always wonder with this group of people

It's just sterile. I can't put my finger on it any better than that. Maybe the quality of play is a little too good? The game atmosphere too predictable? The whole thing feels like a scripted TV event?

It's weird. I loved the NBA in the '90s and just can't stay interested now. I don't hate it, I don't wrongly claim they don't play defense like some anti-NBA people. (I'll admit to being a little turned off by the liberal interpretation of traveling rules, though.) But it's just not as engaging as the much uglier sport of college basketball. It'd be cool if someone else could articulate that better than I can.

It seems like somebody that knew Bazley and his family maybe manipulated him. Somebody that they looked up to who and has influence and connections. Just an impression I'm getting from some random thoughts.

It's just sterile. I can't put my finger on it any better than that. Maybe the quality of play is a little too good? The game atmosphere too predictable? The whole thing feels like a scripted TV event?

It's weird. I loved the NBA in the '90s and just can't stay interested now. I don't hate it, I don't wrongly claim they don't play defense like some anti-NBA people. (I'll admit to being a little turned off by the liberal interpretation of traveling rules, though.) But it's just not as engaging as the much uglier sport of college basketball. It'd be cool if someone else could articulate that better than I can.
I feel exactly the same way.

I try to get into the NBA every year but I just get so bored that I can't even finish a half of a game. To be fair, it could be because I have no rooting interest but even taking that into account - I just find it boring. "Sterile" is a good way to describe it.

Maybe I've just been desensitized from watching the drama and great theater (albeit ugliness) of college basketball over so many years that the NBA just can't capture my attention at nearly the same level. I'm much more entertained by displays of heart and soul than beauty.

Yeah Malachi didn't benefit from the Final Four run at all.

What a silly notion that increased public exposure and fame would positively effect an individual's brand and promotional opportunities. That never happens!

Another person just speaking in generalities without being able to specify a single thing. He certainly improved his draft stock a good bit and a bunch of folks watched him play for the 1st time and became aware that he existed on earth, but I'm still waiting on someone to show me anything that shows what significant endorsement/branding opportunities he gained via this exposure that Bazely is now going to suffer so greatly in losing out on.

Another person just speaking in generalities without being able to specify a single thing. He certainly improved his draft stock a good bit and a bunch of folks watched him play for the 1st time and became aware that he existed on earth, but I'm still waiting on someone to show me anything that shows what significant endorsement/branding opportunities he gained via this exposure that Bazely is now going to suffer so greatly in losing out on.
Which one are you having a hard time with?

(a) Coverage of major college basketball (full games, highlights, stories, news reports) is significantly more present than that of the G-League
(b) Increased exposure is advantageous to a public figure's financial opportunities

I don't see why you need analytical studies with real numbers to prove or disprove either of these concepts. I assumed both were common knowledge. But if you disagree with either one, let me know.

Which one are you having a hard time with?

(a) Coverage of major college basketball (full games, highlights, stories, news reports) is significantly more present than that of the G-League
(b) Increased exposure is advantageous to a public figure's financial opportunities

I don't see why you need analytical studies with real numbers to prove or disprove either of these concepts. I assumed both were common knowledge. But if you disagree with either one, let me know.

I do agree with both of those things, but I also don't see that our runs in 2013 and 2016 did jack for Malachi or anyone on the 2013 team endorsement wise. That was the whole premise of the argument that you decided to inject yourself into. He stated that it did wonders for Carmelo and that Bazely was now going to lose out on that. I had responded saying that Carmelo was a 1 time deal and think that what Bazely will lose out on is negligible but I'm glad that you came to the rescue with some basic theories that are hopefully common sense to anyone that takes time to post here.

I feel exactly the same way.

I try to get into the NBA every year but I just get so bored that I can't even finish a half of a game. To be fair, it could be because I have no rooting interest but even taking that into account - I just find it boring. "Sterile" is a good way to describe it.

Maybe I've just been desensitized from watching the drama and great theater (albeit ugliness) of college basketball over so many years that the NBA just can't capture my attention at nearly the same level. I'm much more entertained by displays of heart and soul than beauty.

That’s fair. I think many college fans are more invested because they either went to or grew up in the area of the major college. NBA is different. It’s more star driven then the NFL and MLB even though those two leagues certainly aren’t short on stars.

If you don’t like the game it’s likely to not change your mind (as it’s just different than college) but my friends and I don’t have NBA teams year to year but we’ll do fantasy (easier to connect) or even pick a few teams to keep an eye on. Hell if there’s a big game bet a beer with a buddy on it and you have a reason to be invested.

Of course there’s no forcing someone to like the NBA but I was thrown off by the poster saying “refuse” to watch games lol

I do agree with both of those things, but I also don't see that our runs in 2013 and 2016 did jack for Malachi or anyone on the 2013 team endorsement wise. That was the whole premise of the argument that you decided to inject yourself into. He stated that it did wonders for Carmelo and that Bazely was now going to lose out on that. I had responded saying that Carmelo was a 1 time deal and think that what Bazely will lose out on is negligible but I'm glad that you came to the rescue with some basic theories that are hopefully common sense to anyone that takes time to post here.
Oh, I didn't realize that was a private conversation. For some reason your messages were posted in this thread for everyone to see. Must have been a website glitch!

I think people are being naive about how playing in G will get him drafted as a high pick. The best players there are already signed or are free to be...yet most toil in anonymity, with a few coming off the bench in the NBA. He will need to really shine to make this work for him. If he struggles playing against better players than he would faced in college, he will be exposed and likely cost himself millions. Somebody on his side appears to have really screwed up.

I think people are being naive about how playing in G will get him drafted as a high pick. The best players there are already signed or are free to be...yet most toil in anonymity, with a few coming off the bench in the NBA. He will need to really shine to make this work for him. If he struggles playing against better players than he would faced in college, he will be exposed and likely cost himself millions. Somebody on his side appears to have really screwed up.
You got that right. Can you imagine if the NBA try's to make some special circumstances for him in the G league? Those guys will try to end his career, or worse.

Baze wasn't coming to Syracuse to get an "academic education" since he was always rumored to be one and done.

He was coming to play 30+ games as a tryout for the NBA.

Now he's playing 50+ games as a tryout, and getting paid.

If he parlays his G League experience into a Lottery Pick, his gamble worked.

MLB players do it all the time.
If this is such a viable choice why havent more done it? Clearly something doesnt add up. Not buying the blazing new trail either. If he really wanted to blaze new trail he would have figured that out long ago. Whatevs, OSU to SU to Gleague. The new recruiting reality in ACC

Dude, what has made you so angry here? My god. Bring this attitude to the politics board where everyone must be 100% wrong or 100% right at all times. The real world has nuance and shades of gray. You realize that for something to have value doesn't demand that that value be 100% realized for every single person on the earth, don't you? Your angry interrogations here seem to indicate otherwise.

The games are fixed. You only need to watch the fourth quarter. How’s that? ;)

I have no issues with elite players going G league out of high school as long as they take the sports underbelly with them (agents, shoe companies...). But for christ sakes I'm not asking the NBA to directly enforce LOI's but couldn't they at least set a reasonable date for high schoolers to declare their intent to go that route.

Baz and his family got sticky fingers.
Gee G league doesn't add up vs 1 and done. Do the math.
He's 26k to the good, plus his agent's advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom