Does anyone believe that with a new football coach and the current level of talent, that Syracuse could contend for an ACC title? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone believe that with a new football coach and the current level of talent, that Syracuse could contend for an ACC title?

Name some of these cold weather schools where it snows like Syracuse and I bet they are competing in a league with similar schools and don't have the geographic disparity that we face. Syracuse faces a huge recruiting problem in the ACC that it didn't face before except Miami, when we were both in the Big East. Pitt and Boston college have the same recruiting issues as we do except each school has a distinct but different advantage over Syracuse: Pitt: has a very strong recruiting base because of it's location in talent rich Western PA and Ohio, and proximity to Philly and DC. Boston College : Boston is a much better city and and a great college town compared to Syracuse...
Spot on. The lack of talent in a 4 hour radius is just not there. We consider NJ our backyard, but there are schools located much closer to talent rich NJ, and PA than us. Even when we have talent in a 4 hour radius, the best ones end up heading somewhere else, and I can't blame them. You aren't getting the big time exposure, or competing for national titles by staying here.

At some point this argument is mute. They play football in a dome. The ability to get kids drafted has nothing to do with the weather. They need a recruiter who will bring in talent in a zero balance weather environment.
Bring in a guy who can recruit? I wonder if they thought of that yet?
Dating back to the end of P, our classes have ranked in the 40-s to 80's. They've brought in countless coaches/recruiters going back 2.5 decades now. Some of them had great track records in recruiting. Yet for some reason, not one of these recruiting staffs have been able to crack to top 39.
It's just much harder to recruit at Syracuse, and it always will be.

No but we can get a better coach than Dino. The Dino we hired was a good coach, he had balls, he made his players believe. He isn’t that guy anymore. The ACC is top heavy. Titles? No, but 7-8 wins consistently is very reasonable with an occasional great season and being competitive against the top teams in general. Just because we have hired idiots like GROB and Shafer doesn’t mean there aren’t better coaches out there than 2019-2023 Dino

Last edited:
What were the classes in the P era. They are impossible to find, but guarantee they were top 40 most years. The problem from what I’ve read is that Robinson screwed up whatever recruiting base they had. Before you know it, Cuse was a joke
I said the end of P era. Records go back to 04. Not sure how old you are, but if you watched those teams, the overall talent level dropped markedly McNabb left.
I'm sure his classes from 1991to around 1998-99? probably were top 40. But many have tried to bring the talent in since then. All have failed.

Last edited:
I said the end of P era. Records go back to 04. Not sure how old you are, but if you wanted those teams, the overall talent level dropped markedly McNabb left.
My point is they have been able to bring talent here at one point. I don’t think anybody that they brought in since P had that great of track records in recruiting.

In your opinion.

It’s not really opinion. The offensive stats and W-L record tells the story. Are you telling us that someone else is responsible for all recruiting and the sub par offense and W/L record in 8 years is actually not real. It’s all fake? Because if we’re living in a parallel world I’m willing to hear the evidence.

When P was recruiting well, we were only playing second fiddle to Penn St in the Northeast. Eventually we were competing and losing recruits to Rutgers, Pitt, West Virginia, hell we're even competing with Temple for recruits now.
Point is, back then we were a much more attractive option to those recruits in those areas. As we descended, and they ascended, we suddenly were splitting talent with a lot of suitors

No, we need a significant talent upgrade. How can you have recruiting classes below 35-40 and expect to compete in the ACC, where several schools have top 20
recruiting classes every year.
Yeah I do actually I’m sorry you won’t feel that way but with the portal these days it can happen in a year just ask Louisville and I could go to countless other examples. Dinos a good guy but he had his chances

Yep it is what it has been, and we are who we are. Sucks
We will only go as far as the university will invest. Nil needs to be reworked and the overall coaching budget needs to be dramatically raised. Right now they are investing what the lower teams in the acc are investing and that’s where we are at. The university needs to get away from the cash checking mentality.

What were the classes in the P era. They are impossible to find, but guarantee they were top 40 most years. The problem from what I’ve read is that Robinson screwed up whatever recruiting base they had. Before you know it, Cuse was a joke
This is not on Robinson. It’s on the university. You can’t expect coaches to bring in quality players if the facilities are below par, nil is low, and coaching staff budgets are the lowest or near that in the acc. The university needs to change its culture. STOP CASHING CHECKS!!

When P was recruiting well, we were only playing second fiddle to Penn St in the Northeast. Eventually we were competing and losing recruits to Rutgers, Pitt, West Virginia, hell we're even competing with Temple for recruits now.
Point is, back then we were a much more attractive option to those recruits in those areas. As we descended, and they ascended, we suddenly were splitting talent with a lot of suitors
Stems back from letting P go and bringing in somebody who destroyed the recruiting base. Add 20 years of crap, it’s not an attractive place. Try to bring in Mullen, somebody who has a real good track record and spend more $$. If it doesn’t work, at least they can say they tried.

Name some of these cold weather schools where it snows like Syracuse and I bet they are competing in a league with similar schools and don't have the geographic disparity that we face. Syracuse faces a huge recruiting problem in the ACC that it didn't face before except Miami, when we were both in the Big East. Pitt and Boston college have the same recruiting issues as we do except each school has a distinct but different advantage over Syracuse: Pitt: has a very strong recruiting base because of it's location in talent rich Western PA and Ohio, and proximity to Philly and DC. Boston College : Boston is a much better city and and a great college town compared to Syracuse...
I am from Mass. Syracuse sports is king in Syracuse. The Eagles are behind all 4 major sports teams by such a long margin, they can't see them. Boston, I'm sure is a great college town to go out and party. But I had my choice between B.U and Syracuse (communications it wasn't a close call) and I have never regretted it for a day.

So...
Dino can't coach offense anymore even though he was brought in as an offensive guy
Dino can't recruit talent
Dino can't coach up the talent he does have
Dino can't figure out an offensive scheme to help the talent he has
Dino teams constantly are near the top in injuries and penalties
Dino can't game plan during the week
Dino can't make in-game adjustments
Dino is terrible at time management

My question is what can Dino do as a coach that is good besides talk in the press conference? What does Dino do good to hang his hat on?

Do I want him fired now? No I think that is crazy
Do I want him fired at the end of the season? Yes because I believe that any coach worth anything can do the same job Dino has. Dino isn't anything special that can't be replaced.

I disagree. Back when Robinson took over he neglected the recruitment base. Trying to find the article detailing it. It’s been awhile since I’ve read it tho.
“While Robinson’s team struggled on the field, he didn’t make an effort to maintain Syracuse’s relationships with area high schools, several coaches said. Like Anselmo, George never met Robinson, noting that the Orange’s presence in New Jersey and New York City “was not as visible” in comparison to their presence under previous head coaches.”

Stems back from letting P go and bringing in somebody who destroyed the recruiting base. Add 20 years of crap, it’s not an attractive place. Try to bring in Mullen, somebody who has a real good track record and spend more $$. If it doesn’t work, at least they can say they tried.
Compare Dinos post game laughing and joking and smiling throughout with Deon Sanders postgame. He was fuming at the result and you know he will do something about it. I’m no fan of Deon but the point is passion from the top in any endeavor is a condition precedent to success. Dino acts like a guy who feels he’s bulletproof and at 18-42 it seems he’s right.

So...
Dino can't coach offense anymore even though he was brought in as an offensive guy
Dino can't recruit talent
Dino can't coach up the talent he does have
Dino can't figure out an offensive scheme to help the talent he has
Dino teams constantly are near the top in injuries and penalties
Dino can't game plan during the week
Dino can't make in-game adjustments
Dino is terrible at time management

My question is what can Dino do as a coach that is good besides talk in the press conference? What does Dino do good to hang his hat on?

Do I want him fired now? No I think that is crazy
Do I want him fired at the end of the season? Yes because I believe that any coach worth anything can do the same job Dino has. Dino isn't anything special that can't be replaced.
So regardless of how the season ends you want Dino gone? Because it’s not crazy that we win out…say we then win a bowl game and go 10-3? still u want Dino fired…wowser

The whole thread is misguided. The question isn't whether we have the talent, can get the talent, will ever get the talent. The question is, from what we have seen after 8 years, is Dino the guy that can get Syracuse to whatever level it can get to? We have had 8 years to make this judgment. The OP thinks this is as good as it could get. That this game by game mismanagement means little. That the lack of talent is not his fault. Heck, we should be happy with these results. Get em while you can. I have to think we can do better than not ever being competitive in a national game. If i thought the way the Op thought, I would never watch the team play another game.

Spot on. The lack of talent in a 4 hour radius is just not there. We consider NJ our backyard, but there are schools located much closer to talent rich NJ, and PA than us. Even when we have talent in a 4 hour radius, the best ones end up heading somewhere else, and I can't blame them. You aren't getting the big time exposure, or competing for national titles by staying here.
Stop. Go check out NY state recruiting rankings the last 4-5 years. We lost a lot more recruits to teams outside of the 4 hour radius. The problem is the program has turned into a joke for the last 20 years outside of a few seasons.

So regardless of how the season ends you want Dino gone? Because it’s not crazy that we win out…say we then win a bowl game and go 10-3? still u want Dino fired…wowser

Have you watched Dino's career and his record at Syracuse especially on the road? It is just as likely as we lose out as win out.

And again you didn't tell me anything that Dino does well as a coach.

10-3. Say it happens. Still want Dino canned?

hypothetical question yes. But it says a lot about your mindset how you answer Based on your previous post.