Does anyone believe we will see JB tweek our playing style a little? | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone believe we will see JB tweek our playing style a little?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I got no problem with the zone. I would wish we would mix things up when the personnel doesn't fit it.
I think the defense will remain 100% zone but will JB change the offense up?
If this relies on a PG and we don't get a recruit or stud I would hope JB would change things up and practice the fundamentals. We have been a poor fundamental team for a while.
Pass the ball.
Move without the ball.
Back cuts.
Posting up.

Our offense becomes stagnant way to easily. Improving these basics would help.

So would not having one dimensional offensive players. This was highly apparent to me over the weekend watching Oregon's lineup, which featured four guys on the floor who could hit threes AND drive, which made them very difficult to defend. Guys like Gbinije, Battle, etc. can thrive because they are able to shoot AND create off of the bounce for themselves and others.

Can't say the same about Lydon. Or White. Or Cooney. Or any other of a number of players we've had in recent years.

We've gotten much better as a shooting team over the past few years, but at the expense of versatility. And one dimensional teams are easy to defend. Or at least EASIER.

One area I'd like to see us improve on is passing ability, and not just the PG. Almost everyone could pass on UCLA, same with UNC and even Kentucky. To me, the days of consistently milking the clock and having someone go iso with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock are gone. Let's get everyone's head up, achieve sufficient spacing, move the ball and take the first good shot.

Seems unlikely.

Right now, it would appear we'll be a much, much worse offensive version of this year's team. We need shooters, guys that can actually handle the ball and can create and get their own shot. Unless Tyus can do everything that 3 guys can do, we'll need a ton of help still.

What I don't understand is that Boeheim watches more tube of college bball than most. He understands the landscape of hoops. Doesn't he watch these games and say, "We should be doing that. Why aren't we running those plays. Wish my players could do that. Need some better skill sets." Or any version of those types of reactions. The zone business is what it is and won't change so no need to go there.

Last edited:
I just don't get it. I don't expect a 180° change but all coaches should make adjustments. Coach K has changed some of his philosophies because of time spent with JB and NBA assistant coaches. How people don't think Jim Boeheim won't make changes it's just depressing. Watching these top teams offense is getting better in college basketball. I mean you can win regular-season games in a rock fight but to win it all you need an offense.

Not sure if we need a lot of penetrators if you can Pass AND shoot. If you can't pass you do, but the 2010 team didn't have a lot of 1 on 1 ability.

I really didn't think our offenses in 2012 and 2013 were great and they had a bunch of guys that went to the basket. Get us some guys that can shoot and pass. The passing this year was the worst I have ever remembered.

Not sure if we need a lot of penetrators if you can Pass AND shoot. If you can't pass you do, but the 2010 team didn't have a lot of 1 on 1 ability.

I really didn't think our offenses in 2012 and 2013 were great and they had a bunch of guys that went to the basket. Get us some guys that can shoot and pass. The passing this year was the worst I have ever remembered.

No doubt, there is more than one way to skin a cat. But that Oregon style offense is what I'd like to see here.

The 2010 team had a couple of guys who had one on one ability, but that team also featured the best interior passing we've ever had.

will JB change the offense up?.
It's a zero sum with only so many gym hours allotted. If JB spends time installing new offensive wrinkles, that's less time practicing the guesswork of which open shooters to tag on an overload.

Chances of JB tweeking our playing style > chances of JB twerking our playing style

I just don't get it. I don't expect a 180° change but all coaches should make adjustments. Coach K has changed some of his philosophies because of time spent with JB and NBA assistant coaches. How people don't think Jim Boeheim won't make changes it's just depressing. Watching these top teams offense is getting better in college basketball. I mean you can win regular-season games in a rock fight but to win it all you need an offense.
Don't you think JB has changed over his 40+ years of coaching?
From mostly m2m to mostly zone to all zone; from low post to high/low post to three guards; from attack the rim to work outside with screens and pick and rolls; from run and gun to methodical and everything in between;
JB has changed at his own discretion - it just doesn't suit some of us here.

Don't you think JB has changed over his 40+ years of coaching?
From mostly m2m to mostly zone to all zone; from low post to high/low post to three guards; from attack the rim to work outside with screens and pick and rolls; from run and gun to methodical and everything in between;
JB has changed at his own discretion - it just doesn't suit some of us here.
You think JB's offensive philosophies are good right now?
We have become a one on one Iso offense for the last five years plus. We don't have the personnel to run that offense and we don't change it up. We have tried to fit a round peg into a square hole no matter if it fits.

You can run your philosophies if you have the personnel to do them. We haven't had the personnel to run what JB wants and he doesn't change it up that's the brunt of the frustration.

"To quote Buddy Ryan, 'If you listen to the fans, you'll be sitting up there with them."

"To quote Buddy Ryan, 'If you listen to the fans, you'll be sitting up there with them."

Posted twice for emphasis!!!!

No. As Boeheim would say, man to man teams don't switch to zone when it doesn't work.

No. As Boeheim would say, man to man teams don't switch to zone when it doesn't work.
UNC beat Kentucky by switching from man to man in the last 5 minutes to zone.

That switch won the game for UNC.

th

I got no problem with the zone. I would wish we would mix things up when the personnel doesn't fit it.
I think the defense will remain 100% zone but will JB change the offense up?
If this relies on a PG and we don't get a recruit or stud I would hope JB would change things up and practice the fundamentals. We have been a poor fundamental team for a while.
Pass the ball.
Move without the ball.
Back cuts.
Posting up.

Our offense becomes stagnant way to easily. Improving these basics would help.
Not tweeks.

UNC beat Kentucky by switching from man to man in the last 5 minutes to zone.

That switch won the game for UNC.
I'm not disagreeing. I have heard him say that before, however.

Yeah, JB says a lot of things. :rolleyes:

UNC did exactly that against UK and went on a 12-0 run.
Lots of teams will switch up their D scheme if their primary one isn't getting the job done.

Even JB - when he goes to the press.

You think JB's offensive philosophies are good right now?
We have become a one on one Iso offense for the last five years plus. We don't have the personnel to run that offense and we don't change it up. We have tried to fit a round peg into a square hole no matter if it fits.

You can run your philosophies if you have the personnel to do them. We haven't had the personnel to run what JB wants and he doesn't change it up that's the brunt of the frustration.
For all the hand-wringing that goes on around here about JB's offense, this year's team had more than enough scoring firepower. It was inconsistent (and often poor) defense, and a general inability to rebound that ultimately did this team in.

just took a close shot across the bow. i certainly hope that woke him up. time to change course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom