Does anyone else think we will be better next year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone else think we will be better next year?

Hoping for some legit improvement with JC, Hughes, Marek, Braswell and Buddy’s non-shooting skills but not really expecting much.

I think expectations will be as low as they’ve ever been. Until we find a PG, interior offense and run a more modern offense tailored around players’ strengthens, I’ll expect another 6th-10th place ACC finish and another year in the bubble. I think this team could actually be in the 11-14 range if guys don’t improve like we need. Hopefully Goodine and Guerrier are better than advertised and help this team become a more consistent and efficient offense.

Really tough to envision a better team with so many question marks.

I would be curious to see this lineup in short stretches. Would get killed on the boards but shooters galore.
Jg3
Buddy
Hughes
Guerrier
Marek

Super young team, but I have a feeling we could definitely compete in the top 4 of the ACC. We will play much faster I imagine with Goodine and Carey. Guerrier looks to be a beast, Ajak can shoot the three, and obviously Girard does what he does. If Oshae, Marek, HW stay I feel like we could be much better next year than this year. The trip to Italy is very good for the young team also
NIT, at best Battle is the only player we have that would be a rotation guy for the top teams in the ACC.
People getting hyped about non HS AA freshman being saviors have already forgotten the lesson of Jalen Carey.

NIT, at best Battle is the only player we have that would be a rotation guy for the top teams in the ACC.
People getting hyped about non HS AA freshman being saviors have already forgotten the lesson of Jalen Carey.
Come on. Hughes would at least be in the rotation. So would Brissett. Maybe not starters but def in the rotation

Come on. Hughes would at least be in the rotation. So would Brissett. Maybe not starters but def in the rotation
Hughes would be the 7th man on Duke, NC or Virginia. It really says something to me that the staff was so bullish on him.

With Buddy, Hughes and JG3, next year will be the beginning of the greatest 3 point shooting era Syracuse basketball has ever had.

With Buddy, Hughes and JG3, next year will be the beginning of the greatest 3 point shooting era Syracuse basketball has ever had.
And also the worse perimeter zone defense in Syracuse basketball history.

Hughes would be the 7th man on Duke, NC or Virginia. It really says something to me that the staff was so bullish on him.

Maybe. He’d also probably shoot 40% from 3 if he was on those teams. And he’d start for them as a junior/senior IMO.

Well, maybe not Duke because they don’t operate like that anymore. He’s better than White, OConnell, and a better offensive player at this point than Reddish IMO though.

I think Hughes gets 17/18 ppg and is one of the best 3 point shooters in the league by the time he’s done here. I hope he can get more consistent defensively and on the boards.

We’ll see. We’ve got Buddy and Hughes now. But if JG3 is 10th man, how much better will we be than this year?

The key is on Brissett becoming functional from out there again like he was last year, and Marek becoming a legit threat who can hit 40-50 3’s on a solid percentage.

As well as whoever the PG is, being able to to hit them. It’s about being able to put 4 good shooters on the court at the same time. Too often we’ve only got 2, this year.

My guess is that Washington transfers,not sure on OB but this post will assume he stays.
1: JC Goodine
2: BB JG
3: Hughes Gurrier
4: OB Marek
5: Marek SID

Hmm...you seem to be ignoring that Buddy has been quite good though.

We'll be more balanced, which could make us better. Goodine and Guerrier both have to be at least as good as advertised. Carey needs to show that he can handle big PG minutes and create for others. Need a serviceable Center to emerge.

All of this is possible and reasonable.

If the team was forced to play Carey all season, his numbers would not be bad.

Come at me, bros.

We’ll see. We’ve got Buddy and Hughes now. But if JG3 is 10th man, how much better will we be than this year?

The key is on Brissett becoming functional from out there again like he was last year, and Marek becoming a legit threat who can hit 40-50 3’s on a solid percentage.

As well as whoever the PG is, being able to to hit them. It’s about being able to put 4 good shooters on the court at the same time. Too often we’ve only got 2, this year.

The thing with Brissett is, was he really that good last year? I' m not gonna post all his stats, but if you look at his Ken Pom page, it's very similar this year and last. One big difference is the shape of his shooting; while his EFG is up from 41.4% to 42.5% (both of which are very bad) he shot 36.6% on 2 pointers last year (Seriously, 36.6) and he's improved that to 44.5%, while the 3 has gone down from 33.1% to 25%. The FT% has totally fallen off, which doesn't really make sense to me. But he's grabbing rebounds at a similar rate, turning it over similar, drawing fouls etc. I hate to make it so simple, but the dude just needs to make more shots.

As for the question of the post, my guy says no way we will be better next year, but my gut also said we'd be quite good this year and it was wrong, so sure, we'll be better next year. Why not?

OB is who he is. He isn’t going to develop touch around the rim. The one area that’s surprised me this year is how his foul shooting percentage has dropped. That’s an area that he should bounce back from next year. His jump shot might improve, but he has no post game. He has slowed down the past three weeks and is letting passing lanes develop in traffic. He has made some good interior passes in the past several games. His biggest weakness is his lack of strength.

We'll be more balanced, which could make us better. Goodine and Guerrier both have to be at least as good as advertised. Carey needs to show that he can handle big PG minutes and create for others. Need a serviceable Center to emerge.

All of this is possible and reasonable.

I think it’s reasonable to think Carey, Goodine, and Guerrier will play well.

I get being cautious with expectations due to the way Carey’s season has gone, but some might be going too far the other way.

Carey lost his spot...to a freshman. Sometimes freshmen are ready.

And it’s not like Carey hasn’t shown promise. His athleticism pops off the screen. He’s a disruptive defender...he had the big blocked 3 against GTown and hit a big 3 late in the game, scored 26 in a game...it’s reaosnable to think he’ll be ready next year.

I think they are going to look for the3 more than they ever have. In that case, I think JG3 gets some minutes. Got to find the hot hand.In this type of offense a true point gaured isn't all that important, just have to have good ball movement and effective picks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom